Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Guru

City: Pensacola
Everytime you dock without hitting anyone or anything is a success. No matter what propelled the boat to the dock, wind, sail, engines, engine or thruster, or paddle...

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
The "old salts" in our club say, "thrusters are for people who can't handle a boat."
You should find a new club to be a member of.

I would rater have another tool on the toolbox that prevents me from causing damage to someone else's prize possession or get me out of a jamb than not. I would guess that "old salts" (lets call that guy a-hole for short) has been around long enough to make more than a few mistakes in his day. Was he BORN with the ability to perfectly handle a boat? I'm doubting it.

I will often dock using the stern thruster... but I'll not use it a lot too. It allows me to get better at it and still have the ability to correct mistakes. Or just do it quickly and easily. Why make it harder when you don't have to?

Somebody on the dock being a critical jerk and holding some sort of religion against thrusters, would be happier just letting his boat plow into the dock or another craft? I hope not. I'd hope he would stay away from the marina I am in.

Tom-

Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Everytime you dock without hitting anyone or anything is a success. No matter what propelled the boat to the dock, wind, sail, engines, engine or thruster, or paddle...
+1
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Way too much ego, he must have been born short in the pants. There are lots of jerks like this. They just have too say these things to reinforce their sense of self worth. They are often the ones yelling at there crew for their own failures. if you stood there and continued talking to the ass you just gave him the audience he craves. I would have walked off shaking my head at his crap.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
Per
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

I have seen that once. A captain had to move his 80 foot or so motor yacht. While standing on the dock, by himself, he started his engines, untied from the dock and moved the yacht ahead 40 feet to fit us in behind him, thrusted tight and retied.
by the use of a remote control or what?
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Mark: Is there some reason to having your sails up while dockside?
Wanted to get a good view of how well the sails set. Looked good.

No, never sailed into the berth with the Coot. Hull form is wrong and sails too small. In the distant past, however, I occasionally sailed sailboats into their berths safely.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I dunno. If you have all that equipment to Autodock. Where is the skill that you get from practice.
Perhaps he could do the same thing with just a single no thruster.

When I see someone do something without a lot of technical junk I am impressed.

Doesn't it amaze you when you see some of the craftsmanship from decades past compared to the computer generated stuff coming out of China or where ever.

I am talking about wooden boats built by eye and a knowledge not available in an AP.
That kind of stuff impresses me.

Sd
Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
the old guys wife told me the last Florida trip he did entire thing with nothing but charts and a depth sounder. left all the nice electronics off ? Hey it is his boat his wife just rolls her eyes
There is a member of the boating club we belong to like that. He's been sailing the same 40' sloop for several decades now and has been to just about every nook and cranny between Bellingham and the north end of Vanouver Island. Anyone who knows the area knows it's a maze of islands, rocks, reefs, and steep, shelving bottoms that near the shorelines can go from almost 1,000 feet deep to five feet deep within a few boat lengths.

His sloop is fitted with a VHF and a depth sounder. That's it, so far as I know other than a compass No Loran, no plotter, no radar. He goes everywhere by chart and when the visibility drops he goes by chart and depth sounder. He told me (not bragging, just telling me his navigation techniques) that he once went from Sucia Island to Bellingham, a course distance of some 25 miles, in fog using his charts, the compass, and the depth sounder. And he had no problems whatsoever. The process is not accurate in the sense most of us are used to with our plotters, but it was safe as houses.

He does not pooh-pooh things like plotters and radar at all. He just has no need for them in his cruising. And these days I'm not sure a plotter would be of any use to him anyway since he knows that whole stretch of islands and bays and channels by heart now.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Well, here goes the progression I have seen.

We started with DR plotting and a flashing dept finder. That included much hope that we would miss the shoals returning. Then we got a radio direction finder that would give directions within a few degrees by nulling out an AM radio station. In our case we used the antenna on Radio Island between Morehead and Beaufort. Then we got a single track loran A military surplus. We had to go down to the cabin and tune the oscillascope to tune it. It would track one LOP. We would fish a line to have an idea where we were. For instance off Morehead the 1800 line. To get another LOP you would have to start over on the process for another station.

Everyone was resistant to the change over from LORAN A to C. That is the base of what we use now, and WAAS was a huge improvement. Interfacing with a chart plotter and autopilot was unheard of. I guess much of what we did was just blind faith.

I still have the plastic encased fishing charts I used. One side was my fishing spots plotted on LORAN A grids. The other is the same on LORAN C grids. During the change over people were using both. It was the only way to know what they were referring to.

I have to say that I am a fan of the new interconnected electronics. However, we do have paper charts and plotting equipment at the nav station. Don't leave home without them. I can still do it if necessary.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #30
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post

My standard is, "no blood and no insurance claims." If I make that, I treat myself to a post-docking beer.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per View Post
Yep...remote control...weird but impressive!!

Bought my boat with 2 LORANs that the PO was so proud of...didn't have the heart to tell him the shut LORAN off the summer before...

So I brought the boat to NJ from Ft Lauderdale with just a handheld GPS, depthfinder and chartbooks...really didn't need the handheld but for a couple of moments in the fog in Port Royal Sound cause the tidal current was rippin pretty good...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per View Post
Maybe it's "the what" that impressed him greatly.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #33
Guru

City: Georgia
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Wanted to get a good view of how well the sails set. Looked good.
Oh yeah. She looks great.

I had thought you had maybe just washed the sails and were hanging them to dry.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #34
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
I've never used a bow or stern thruster.Multi tasking thruster controls,engine controls,and the wheel seems more impressive than docking a single engine boat with no thrusters.That statement tells on me and my area of boating.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #35
Guru

Say that again. I am not sure what you mean.
Are you saying for someone to dock with all the gadgets is more impressive than without.
Why?

SD
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
Say that again. I am not sure what you mean.
Are you saying for someone to dock with all the gadgets is more impressive than without.
Why?

SD
Requires to much consetration and cordination for my feeble mind.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #37
Guru

Gotcha. Docks to dingys my mind is just as feeble.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
Gotcha. Docks to dingys my mind is just as feeble.
I see we are in the same boat,so to speak.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #39
Veteran Member

My boat is a single and had a bow thruster on it when I bought it 3 years ago. I added a stern thruster after I bought it. Because my schedule revolves around agriculture and I'm 4 hours from my boat, I don't get to boat much in the summer. We are only able to use the boat in the spring and fall and it's chartered during the summer.

This has been a busy year and I've not been able to use the boat in over 3 months. I was able to get 4 days on it a couple of weekends ago. The bow and stern thrusters meant that I could easily handle the boat after an extended absence. They also mean that probably anybody on this forum would feel comfortable on the boat almost immediately. That prevents a lot of potential damage from people who charter the boat.

I really don't care what anybody who doesn't know me thinks about me or my boat handling skills. I don't mean that I'm not polite to people or go out of my way to offend them. It's just that if I don't know you or you're not a potential customer of mine, I don't give a rip what you think. I don't want to damage anyone's boat, and I don't want to be stressed in a difficult docking situation so I love my thrusters.

My wife is in charge of the lines, she does it her way and she has no trouble straightening out any "old salt" who messes with her lines or critiques her style.
Lyle
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #40

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I'm not sure what I would have said to that ignorant old ba$tard had I heard him say that, but i would have probably called him an ignorant old ba$tard. I would love for my wife to dock my boat and would be very proud.
My boat has a single with a bow thruster, but the rudder is pretty undersized for the boat . the loa is 39' 8". The distance between my outer piling and my neighbor across the way is exactly 39'.
Maybe a Chesapeake Bay waterman could get in that hole without using the thruster but I highly doubt the ignorant old ba$tard could
John

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote