Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Dock Lines (Spinoff from Labeling Lines)

Quote:
Marin wrote:*
*What I want is for our marina mates to take their boats and go away.* Preferably to California or farther.* I certainly don't want to encourage them to hang around by misleading them into thinking I like having them about.
*Here in Vallejo we have a good supply of empty berths.* Would be good for a respite for those heading further south.

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
*Here in Vallejo we have a good supply of empty berths.* Would be good for a respite for those heading further south.

That's great.* I'll spread the word.* Time to send all these immigrants back to where they came from.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Let's not forget to mention the segment of the population that thinks if you go bow in, it's because you can't accomplish a stern to.* Like if you only go bow in, you are an idiot.* We've seen that attitude up and down the NC coast.* We came bow in last time we went out, because our starboard door is off and boarded up, and now our finger pier is on the port side.* Someone said, "I see you didn't want to fight the wind".* Ah, no......we wanted to be able to load the dockcart from the door.* **
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

We go bow in stb side w LH prop. 42' fish boat is on our other side. Boat points south into prevailing winds. Both bow lines hold the boat against the strong southerlies. Putting 4 large galvanized cleats on the float and bull rail. Willy is 20' from the bottom of the ramp in a 37' slip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71538.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	8103  
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
charles wrote:
Bow in or out or whatever line that you feel comfortable using one thing that pleasure boaters should take cognisance of is how COMMERCIAL boats are tied to the dock. That would be with the EYE ON THE PILING OR CLEAT.

Way easier and safer, period.

The only exception would be in the Pacific Northwest where there are usually NO cleats nor pilings.

CCC
*The big advantages to that are that all lines can be adjusted from the boat.* Also the excess line can be coiled on deck----no hanging the excess off pilings, etc.* When coming in, it is much easier to use the spring line as a brake to stop the boat in the proper place.* Works better in just about every case.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

Dock Lines (Spinoff from Labeling Lines)

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:Works better in just about every case.
*As Charles noted, this does not work in the PNW where bullrails are the norm, not cleats.* Here, someone has to get onto the dock and get the line around the bullrail.* So virtually every boat I see here, incliuding ours, has the loops on the deck or bulwark cleats and the bitter end goes to the dock.

And where there are cleats, taking the bitter end to the dock still works equally well.* All the docks here float, so once the boat is secured there is never a neeed to adjust the lines from the boat because the relationship of the boat to the dock never changes..* The newer docks in our marina have cleats, not bullrails.* But still everyone keeps the loop on the boat and the bitter end goes to the dock.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 01:19:21 AM
Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #27
Master and Commander

Quote:
Marin wrote:

... <a></a>But still everyone keeps the loop on the boat and the bitter end goes to the dock.
*That's how I do it in central California.* The bitter end goes to the dock, and the dock lines stay with the boat ready for the next docking, wherever that is.

Starboard-side, mid-boat spring, in white livery, hangs on the railing for its next deployment:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	midship spring line.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	8104  
Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #28
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

All the docks here float...

After 45 years of boating on the West Coast, I'm learning some new techniques here on the East Coast -- many marinas have fixed docks on pilings and the typical tie-up is stern-in with crossed stern lines, bow lines to pilings waaaay in front of the boat and both forward and stern spring lines on both sides. All this to keep the boat centered in the slip during tidal changes.

Makes for considerable investment in dock lines!

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #29
Guru

Spring line from mid ship is*normally my first choice. Lines are stowed bow and stern because they are out of the way there. I do have a hydraulic stern thruster so I can get by fine with a bow line first if I have to.

I have davits so I bow first at my home marina. That allows me to use my dinghy easily where others have to retreive from the dinghy rack, mount the engine, etc. Plus we get a nice view of the pond.

We are anything but anti social. Parties aboard of 12 or more are a common occurrance.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #30

When you put the lope on the boat the you are tyig the dock to the boat,if you put the lope on the dock the you tying the boay to the dock,if you have the loop on the boat and a storm comes up you might ot be able to let it go,been ther done that once or twice,* no fun
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #31
Master and Commander

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

...<a></a>* Also the excess line can be coiled on deck----no hanging the excess off pilings, etc.*
*I find it easier to coil the end on the dock, and there is more room on the dock compared to the boat*deck so the coil is more easily avoided.* Further, there is no dirt accumulation from the coil on the deck.* Still, I realize one needs to be adaptable for different conditions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rope coils.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	8106  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
markpierce wrote:I realize one needs to be adaptable for different conditions.
*Back east where apparenty the norm is to moor to fixed docks,* piers and pilings, not floating docks like we have out here, being able to put the loop ashore to go around a piling or a cleat makes sense ( I guess).

But out here with tidal ranges of 7 to 20 feet (up north) virtually all the docks float (except for the big piers the commercial fishboats come up against).* We've never had an instance yet where adjusting the boat-end of a mooring line at a dock was necessary or even beneficial.* As the dock is always a short step down from the deck regardless of the state of the tide, once the lines are secured that's pretty much it.

And while it's a minor point, coiling lines on a wood-planked deck is not a good idea for any length of time.* The coiled line traps moisture underneath and the deck never dries out (up here in he rainy PNW, anyway).* Better to coil the lines on the dock if one is going to coil them.* And the flat coils are not a problem on a dock--- dock cart wheels roll right over them.

But the main advantage of attaching the loop of line to a cleat on the boat is the ability to take the bitter end to the dock and pass it under the bullrail.* You cannot do this from the boat unless the boat's gunwale is as low as the dock.* And since many docks have no cleats at all, you'd have to step to the dock to pass the looped end under the rail anyway, plus there is nothing to put the loop on.

I personally think that old saying about tying the boat to the dock or the dock to the boat is kind of stupid.* The boat's secured to the dock no matter where the loop is and that's all that's important, in my opinion anyway.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 12:09:19 PM
Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Floating docks are not a big problem either way as long as you fender off and tie fairly closely to the dock.* If the finger pier is too chort sometimes there is a piling for tying the bow.* Either way, many times I will put the loop on the bow cleats. take the line out to the piling, wrap one time, and bring it back for tying off the bow cleat.* When we pull forward a little it will take tension off the bow lines.* The handler can then untie from the boat, pull the line in, and we are ready to pull out.* That of course is backing in.* On the East coast we very seldom have finger piers long enough to the all lines of the boat to the dock.* Under most conditions here it works better to do the line adjusting from the boat.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Marin wrote:Back east where apparenty the norm is to moor to fixed docks,* piers and pilings, not floating docks like we have out here ....
<blockquote style="padding-left:30px;">But out here with tidal ranges of 7 to 20 feet (up north) virtually all the docks float (except for the big piers the commercial fishboats come up against). ......
Quote:
__________________________________________________ ___________________
Quote:
It would seem that Northeast is not really "East" but, rather, West (PNW at least).*
Quote:
Almost all of the recreational, and many of the commercial, docks in Maine are floats (with or without bullrails, and often with both bullrails and cleats). Tidal ranges appear to be about the same as the PNW, except in the Bay of Fundy where it can be about 55' and, in 1869, a 70' tide was recorded.
Quote:
<table style="width:422px;height:46px;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="center"><tbody><tr><td>"OH, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,</td><td>*</td></tr><tr><td>
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at Gods great Judgment Seat".

</td></tr></tbody></table>
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #35
Guru

I keep my aft spring line w the loop on the boat as I usually leave it on our FLOAT. *Don, David, Marin and many others there's no such thing as floating docks. Floats are floats and docks are docks. And while I'm at it there's no such thing as rpms. Revolutions per minute's? It's what happens in ONE minute. That's the point. *
Old 10-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
*Don, David, Marin and many others there's no such thing as floating docks. Floats are floats and docks are docks.
I think that I agree for the most part. But a Google search of the differences (will the moderators allow that name here without asterisks?) will reveal a confusing conflict of definitions invoking other terms such as quay, wharf, pier, jetty, etc. And then there is the Mullbery floating dock/harbor of WWII fame.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #37
Master and Commander

Yes, but Eric surely has it right about "RPMs" and I hope to break the habit!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
Yes, but Eric surely has it right about "RPMs" and I hope to break the habit!
He does.We should change the acronym to RsPM?* That rolls fight off the tongue. RSPM! Or Rizzzpum! Just like a "Bronx Cheer".

-- Edited by dwhatty on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 05:40:04 PM
Old 10-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #39
Guru

So I've fallen smack on my face on one score and I'm a shining star on the other.

I'm ok w shining star.*

Yea there's dry docks that float ect but I KNOW you get my drift.

RsPM *.....I thought of that Don ha ha.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 05:41:55 PM
Old 10-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
So I've fallen smack on my face on one score and I'm a shining star on the other.

I'm ok w shining star.*

Yea there's dry docks that float ect but I KNOW you get my drift.

RsPM *.....I thought of that Don ha ha.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 05:41:55 PM
*David, not Don. Are you a drifting star?