Old 10-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver
easier to splice and it's what's available on the bottom of the ocean for free.
Well, some people just have different habits and hobbies, I guess. Buy a big expensive dive boat so you can go down to scavenge for bits of prop chopped rope to splice together and call it a line.

I'm with the Spy. Only time I've seen 3 strand in BC is on boats with laundry hangin' from those really tall masts.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
We're having an ongoing battle with at my state owned and operated marina. There's the two percenters who tie up their boats with binder twine, old shoe laces, or whatever is handy that create a problem. Management response? The legal whiz kids decided that all dock lines must be no older than 2 years.
That's ridiculous! When the marina does their annual "stalk" to identify boats owing property tax, they could just as well do inspection of lines and identify those that are obviously in need of replacement. Jurisdictions without property tax? They should do a periodic inspection regardless. And they should figure out how to dispose of boats who haven't paid for berthage in six months.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
How about your neighbours lines?

The boat we share a slip with is a lot heavier than ours and I've never seen the owner on it once. Several times a year I check out how his lines are doing, and let the marina know when there's an issue. Last time I checked one of the lines had worn through the sheath with nothing but core left. The marina figured that was the last straw and it's now on stands in the yard. It would have done some serious damage to our boat if it ever broke free while a north wind was blowing!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
For stiff lines try putting them in a garbage bag with a bucket or two of water with fabric softener. Put it in a tub in the back of a pickup, or car trunk, and drive around as usual for a couple of days the sloshing will clean and soften it up, rinse well.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Why the love affair with 3 strand?
Always used braided nylon for everything.
Maybe the Candian dollar is doing better than I thought.

As has been pointed out, 3 strand is cheaper, stronger, more stretch, and lasts forever. That is why I use them for our permanent dock lines at the home slip.

We keep a full set of braided mooring lines on the boat to use when away. It is easier on the hands, more flexible, and frankly looks better.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:21 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays
Maybe the Candian dollar is doing better than I thought.
Most Canadians bought their braided lines many years ago when the buck was higher than yours.

Quote:
We keep a full set of braided mooring lines on the boat to use when away. It is easier on the hands, more flexible, and frankly looks better.
That is what prompted the question.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Well, some people just have different habits and hobbies, I guess. Buy a big expensive dive boat so you can go down to scavenge for bits of prop chopped rope to splice together and call it a line.
What can I say, I like free stuff. Swimming along a shipwreck gathering lobsters and scallops, I find a 150' of brand new 3 strand 1/2" nylon. Cut the rope above the thimble and shove in my game bag. 5 minutes of my time is worth that piece of rope. Guess you have always had enough money where picking up free stuff was beneath you.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver
Guess you have always had enough money where picking up free stuff was beneath you.
Yup and I guess it'll stay there 'cause I don't have the gear to go down and get it.

...it was a joke Ted...
Old 10-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #29
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I like 5/8" braid for the bow and stern lines and 1/2" laid line for my springers, since there is so much more stretch in the laid lines. I wore out a braided line in less than a month when it was wrapped around square edged moorings (no cleats) that hadn't been routed on the corners. I had noticed a lot of the long term locals had chain wrapped around the moorings with their mooring lines off of the chain. Now I understand why...

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote