Dock Lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use 1/2" 8 strand brait line for both my boats. It is marginally stronger than 3 strand and has considerably more stretch. For storms I move my boats to moorings where they have two 7/8" double braid mooring pennants.

Thanks guys,

My 5/8" are frayed anyway, so well buy new lines.

Yes, thinking of 1/2" three stand

I'll use the heavier lines for when I'm in a blow.

Also I'll get 50 ft lines.

I use 1/2" 8 strand brait line for both my boats. It is marginally stronger than 3 strand and has considerably more stretch.

I haven't really used much brait, so I was unaware of this, thanks!

To me, the big argument in favor of braid over 3-strand is that it's so much better to handle. Some people like it for cosmetic reasons, too.

Personally, I buy good 3-strand in bulk from the fishing supply store, make up my own dock lines and replace them as needed.

In the end, it's a highly personal decision with a number of pro's and con's each way. I'll never fault someone for making a different decision than I.

To me, the big argument in favor of braid over 3-strand is that it's so much better to handle. Some people like it for cosmetic reasons, too.

Brait is even easier to handle than double braid lines. I bought a couple of 120' hanks last spring when they were on sale and spliced my own dock lines. I use a single line with a brummel splice in the middle for the springs.

Maybe I missed it, but wheres a good place to buy some dock lines? They are really expensive some places but reasonable at others. Whats the go-to place to purchase?

Maybe I missed it, but wheres a good place to buy some dock lines? They are really expensive some places but reasonable at others. Whats the go-to place to purchase?

Believe it or not, I have found great buys on WM on pre-made double braid dock lines. They periodically have sales on them. Full price, they are too expensive.

For three strand, I just buy lengths of it. Sometimes you can find roll ends cheap. Then I just splice them myself. Not as pretty as if a professional did it, but they aren't bad.

this is getting complicated! 3/4" dock lines for 40/45 ft boat? are we tying up the missouri!! i use 5/8" 3 strand i can splice myself...bow/stern lines should reach to the opposite end, the spring/mid line 30/40'! ever try to throw a 30ft line 40 ft!...around the seattle area, always have a set of 2, 50ft lines for going thru the locks, with an eye on one end...clyde

There are lines and then there are lines.

I have recently added a couple of lighter 1/2 in braided nylon lines to my traveling lines collection which are easier to throw or grab a cleat for a short stay in benign conditions, like a lunch stay, fuel purchase or pumpout. They're more than strong enough for my 24K lb 34 footer. They have made line manipulation much easier and my tosses are more accurate. Also, my boat's cleats are a tad smaller than I would have ordered so the smaller line fits the cleats better, especially if stacked on a cleat.

If I need to use a heavier line for an overnight stay or tougher conditions, I have plenty of 9/16 and 5/8 traveling lines for that use. It's a simple task to swap them out once we're secured to the dock.

My mooring lines are CLEANLINE (R) black color.

"Double braid coreless continuous polyester high tenacity rope. 24-plait weave for flexible and easily spliceable mooring lines".

Enough stretch as a shocks absorber what is one of my big concerns about mooring lines.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I like 1/2" double braid nylon for my spring lines, and 5/8" for the dock lines. I find I can tension the 1/2" springers but can't get enough tension on larger lines to stretch them at all.

I have the WM pre-made lines and I personally hate them, they are too soft, chafe too easily, and pick up splinters off the dock and try to transfer them to my hands when I am handling the lines.

I think buying white double braid off the spool and paying for the splices (can't do it myself, no interest in learning how) is the cheapest and strongest line. I am replacing my lines this year, my springers are 25', and the dock lines are 15' (stern) and 25' (bow) so there is something to toss as I near the dock.

I am sure I would feel differently about the lines if my boat were heavier, but those size right for 30' and 20,000 lbs in my opinion. JMO

I like 5/8" 3 strand with a big, about 4' long, eye spliced, the other end has a black band marked for every 10' the line is long, a red band for an additional +- 5'. I have some 1/2" lines made up the same way for "light use".

Most of the lines that came with my boat are 7/8" double braid. I have a couple of odd ones that are 1" and 1 1/4". The 7/8" feel pretty good for handling and fit the boat well. Cleats are about 13".

Richard

I like 5/8" 3 strand with a big, about 4' long, eye spliced, the other end has a black band marked for every 10' the line is long, a red band for an additional +- 5'. I have some 1/2" lines made up the same way for "light use".

I have a hard time envisioning how the length marks are useful?

I am sure that it is simply my lack of imagination.

I have the WM pre-made lines and I personally hate them, they are too soft, chafe too easily, and pick up splinters off the dock and try to transfer them to my hands when I am handling the lines.

I have the double-braid lines from WM too, and bull rail splinters can be a problem. What type would pick up less of them? Three-strand?

I have the double-braid lines from WM too, and bull rail splinters can be a problem. What type would pick up less of them? Three-strand?

Three strand will give you less problem with splinters. I have the problem with splinter with my WM double braid a well. However, I am not sure that any other double braid would be better. Fortunately, there are only a few docks I have come across that are really bad as far as splinters. If I were to go farther afield I may run into more deteriorating docks where splinters are a problem.

If someone has found a double braid that is better at not picking up splinters, I would be interested.

The double braid at the commercial fishing supply store is much tighter weave, and I have never had it pick up a splinter. I sometimes have to tie around square timbers (no cleats), and the soft WM chafes really badly if the corners haven't been routed over to smooth the corners.

Thanks, I will check into that when I need replace my set of lines on the boat. I don't mind braiding new double braid if I have to.

I guess this was a good subject to post on.....Great discussion.

Here in Florida you want dark colored lines to resist the sun. Also you want braided lines. Three strand will cut any gel coat they touch. We replaced all our lines with six 5/8" Braided 40' lines. You can take white 3M electrical tape to mark the splice at the eye to be able to find it easier.

Thank you everyone for the input and advise. I settled on 3/4 Double Braided nylon lines by SeaDog in 35' and 25'. Fisheries Supply was still carrying lines at boat show prices, so I got a discount. The 35' lines were $49.61 and the 25' were $38.70.

Attachments

• DSCN1108.jpg
    DSCN1108.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN1109.jpg
    DSCN1109.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 97
I use 3/4 Nylon Double Braid. Buy in bulk then cut, splice and whip. Doing a double braid eye splice is like performing a rope magic trick. Even when you are the one doing it it's a real mind bender. You need a few tools to do the trick; Fid, Pusher, Hot knife some whipping line and a sailmakers needle.

An inexpensive hot knife solution is to buy a cheap soldering gun (Harbor Freight) and purchase a 1.5 inch blade tip for a few bucks on Amazon.

Many of you go overboard on the size of docking lines. Unless there is significant surge where "shock absorbers" should be used, 5/8 inches should be more than adequate for most all boats our size. Save money and have easier handling. I employ six lines (three on each beam) when securing at home berth, feeling well secured.

At "home" lines are seldom replaced , so die slowly in the sun shine.

Would seem easiest to use larger lines for longer life, but most boat assemblers save on using barely large enough cleats .

Using the largest line that your cleat will fit would make sense , esp if the line is not taken aboard when cruising.

An 8 inch cleat is for 1/2 inch line., 10 inch for 5/8, 12 inch for 3/4 line etc.

Last edited:
These lines are for travelling, I have permanent lines on my dock.

For my 42' boat I have 5/8" black double braid for bow and stern lines. I use 1/2" for the 4 spring lines. Spring lines are from the midship cleats 2 forward and 2 aft. In tidal areas with fixed docks it is important to have a lot of stretch for the spring lines. This has been my practice for many years. I guess it will work until it won't. The system has not pulled a cleat though.

there are several grades of three strand the tighter lay will feel stiffer and is probably stronger.

It has a colored poly over stretch thread in the lay that will fail of the line is over stressed.

Traveling the boat is seldom left on her own in hard conditions.

1/2in dock line should be fine for most any load and the ease of storing is a huge plus.

You can easily double up as the breeze goes over 50K.

We should be using 1/2" but we had plenty of 5/8" on the boat when we bought her and I like to handling the 5/8". Anchor rode is also 5/8" and was purchased for Alaska gales. Used it twice to that end. There is the negative issue of occasionally making fast to a small cleat. I usually lean toward things light and small but not working lines onboard.

Back
Top Bottom