Dock Hands and the Bow Line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually prefer to stay overnight at a marina where a nice restaurant is nearby.

Unfortunately, some marinas (like Berkeley) require pre-payment and evidence of insurance before docking, and have no weekend staff to accept same.

Ayala Cove (Angel Island, San Francisco Bay) permits dockage only during the day; overnight is spent in moorage.

WifeyB

Why not Captain Lady? LOL. Note to self: don't mess with WifeyB. [emoji16]

Like a Monkey Fist. That works for me. Hit them in head just once with a good Monkey Fist and they will start obeying orders.:)

Wifey B: Or toss them a monkey if you have one. :rofl:

Or a monkey wrench. :D

The problem here is there are actually two property owners involved. The boat owner/operator and the dock owner. Both have a vested interest in protecting their property. You cannot drive a dock into a boat.

We forgot that we are tying up to their dock at their discretion and permission. You don't have to relinquish control of your vessel, but they don't have to let you dock there either. They also don't have to standby and allow you to dictate how you want to approach their dock.

Most of the posts are operating under a false assumption that as captain you dictate how you're going to handle your boat. Which is not really the case once you start negotiating a tie to their property.

You do have the right to decide not to dock there and take your business elsewhere.

Shrew,

I strongly disagree... you are the captain and in full command until the boat is secured and engines shut down. You have the right to accept orders from no one, period! But that's your choice. When I was a lot less experienced, I would accept orders from the dock hands, or dock master, and usually worked out... but sometimes ugly. Now, I give the orders, and if I screw up, that's my fault.

As for denying you access to their marina, that's questionable. They advertise and invite you in. You are the customer, and if they throw you out, they need a pretty good reason. I've never faced that, but if I were tired, and just didn't feel like moving, I'd stay put, they don't have the right to force you out when they've agreed to take you in, when they advertise docks for rent and tell you theres a dock for you, there's no more negotiating for a dock or slip. That's a contract, even though verbal, but they have an obligation to serve you. And yes, they have to standby and allow you to approach the dock the way YOU want... you're still the captain.

Fortunately, I've never come close to that. The vast majority of marinas are very helpful and friendly... they want your business. If I had some AH manager treat me lousy, you bet I'd let the owner know, as I would if I were the owner.

A good example is a down current approach.

Normally not the best option, but sometimes desired.

I see it all the time. By a few highly experienced captains, but mostly newbies that havent grasped the difficulty in doing it.

As long as it is controlled and little danger to other boats or the dock, who is the dockmaster other than to provide suggestions?

Most of the time, when I say its so I can get off the dock in tomorrows howlingv wind, or I have a heavy load tbat needs to come through a door, they go. "Oh".....and now see why the captain is in charge.

The captain is always in charge of his boat and responsible for any damage he creates. The marina can refuse service to anyone as long as it doesn't discriminate and then begins a civil law suit which no one will win except the lawyers.

I have a single engine boat with two thursters but when we pull into a dock the dock hand insists on receiving a bow line which he secures and then runs back to wait on another line. When my boat is tight on the bow it is not going anywhere. My wife tries to tell the little Rudypoop* that she is going to throw a breast line or even the stern line so I can bring the bow over with the thruster. Then he starts yelling at her and I start yelling at them. Not pretty.

*Rudypoop...what my wife calls a young man who runs around "whistle britches" style barking orders while not having a clue.

Anyone else experienced this sort of dock hand?
The dock hand needs to follow the instructions of the Captain/wife, whoever is handling the lines. Period. As the Admiral, (wife) I tell them what lines to take. Usually the Midship then work on the stern n bow.

It appears to me the root of the problem is various captains dock differently. On a side to dock I bring to bow to the dock and once secured I can control the boat to bring the stern over. I have twins and pods so contro is fairly easily. I very seldom use a spring line to bring the boat to the dock. In backing in to a slip I may use a spring line to halt the rearward movement and bring the boat to the side pier.

I realize those like Ted have a single engine and will dock differently (and better than I do) and the dock hand may not realize what the captain is doing. Perhaps we need to educate them as to what we are trying to do.

Irv...too many different possibilities...the only one in the know is the csptain, all others have to do what the captain wants or all goes bad quickly in less than ideal situations

99 percent of the time I prefer no dock help...just tell me where you want the dang boat..,even that is a struggle some times.

We don't let them get a bow line. They get a mid ship line only.
Based on "where they put it" my first mate and I adjust.
Works for us.

Totally agree with this. The breast in most conditions is the best one to start with as well! Bravo!

Scott

That is my point. Your very competent with your boat and you know exactly how you will dock your vessel. It is encumbent on you to inform those that will help you exactly what you want them to do.

Irv, you have a well trained crew who know what to do. The worst experience we have had was docking at Useppa Island. We had set up ahead as usual. We were sliding back into the slip when the crusty dock master kept insisting that Lou reverse out lines. She got so rattled and upset she almost lost it. These were fixed docks with no finger piers. So no getting off to refix lines. A smoothly started docking turned into a fiasco., and it was all because of the _________ dock master.

Have two midship cleats. Use a single line (one midship cleat to the dock cleat, and then to the other midship cleat. Immediately holds the boat close to the dock. Works for us.

Don

I have a hard time believing Lou would get upset, she is so calm. I tell Watfa not to get upset as it will only take some money to make things right. :). Now she can lose it and get upset in a N Y second for no reason. LOL

Dock hand? Never seen one.

Me either. Well, not in Australia anyway. I prefer it that way. :thumb:

Thinking about it, Dock hands aren't really necessary when you have well designed docks. Almost all docks in South Australia are floating concrete type, with full length fingers. The fairways are wide, and there's always an outside dock where you can tie off if the wind is really howling.

The only time assistance is required is if you have a new boat and you aren't used to it yet, or perhaps a mechanical problem.

Dock hand? Never seen one.
Only at fuel wharf in my experience, excluding D`Albora Marinas(?renamed post sale) which had cc machines, high prices, and no staff.

:

Thinking about it, Dock hands aren't really necessary when you have well designed docks.

The only time assistance is required is if you have a new boat and you aren't used to it yet, or perhaps a mechanical problem.

Or if the dock is waaaaay the f down there and you lost sight of it on approach because your bulwarks obscure it and to make matters more interesting, no thrusters, no prop walk and no steerage worth mentioning in reverse.

Never needed anyone to take a rope yet but someone guiding us in is invaluable.

Or if the dock is waaaaay the f down there and you lost sight of it on approach because your bulwarks obscure it and to make matters more interesting, no thrusters, no prop walk and no steerage worth mentioning in reverse.

Never needed anyone to take a rope yet but someone guiding us in is invaluable.

I can only imagine what is like approaching the dock with your boat.

This is what I've installed on the corner of the finger at the home berth, so I can be sure I will juuuuust miss it when pulling in bow first. It a nice wind indicator as well.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 135
Very simple; If you have a highly maneuverable boat and are landing where you have full confidence just put the boat where you want it. If a person on the dock does not want to help as directed by skipper or crew just ignore them and tie up as if no one is on the dock to help and later calmly explain if necessary that you and your crew have a well practiced technique for getting it done. If on the other hand you need dock help then the saying beggars cant always be picky about what they get comes into play. I make it a point to be able under normal conditions to dock all my boats alone as I have over the years observed many working water-men do when necessary. I will graciously accept help if knowledgeable or willing to follow my commands after all it is my boat and I am the skipper.

Back
Top Bottom