Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Do you worry about fuel prices?

On another boating forum I frequent where there are a lot of folks that own larger gas powered boats, they are debating/pondering how high fuel prices on the docks will go this summer. *Do you all worry about fuel prices this year?
I must confess, when I had my 38 sedan with gasers that could suck down 55-60 GPH at WOT, fuel prices were a real concern for me. *With our Monk though- I honestly don't worry about what fuel prices may do at all. *My tanks aren't even near full right now and I have enough to probably run for 115-125 hours @ hull speed. *If I stay @ our home marina and just anchor out every weekend in the nearby coves I could make that last 2 years and still go out every weekend on the water. *If we stick to our plan of doing some traveling this summer we'll burn a lot more but still.
I guess the point of this thread is that I am really glad we own a trawler now! *My trip down the river the other weekend for 3 days burned around 22-23 gallons of fuel, +/-. *iN my previous boat, at same speed, that would have cost me about 110-115 gallons of gas. *If I got that boat up on plane (not WOT, just on plane), I would have burned around 210 gallons of gas. *That equates to a staggering $770 more in fuel costs to do the same trip if I had done it in my old boat and traveled with her up on plane at a moderate cruise speed. *Those numbers are based on today's real fuel costs of what I can get on the docks- $2.99 for diesel, $4 for gas.

GO TRAWLERS! *

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Do you worry about fuel prices?

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Do you all worry about fuel prices this year?
No.* Even at $5 a gallon or even more*fuel is such an insignificant percentage of the owership costs of a boat like ours that we don't worry about it.* We wish it was lower, no question.* But the price of fuel is not going to make one dent in how we are planning to use our boat(s) this year, how often,*or where we are going to go.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Prices are what they are. What's the point in worrying? As I tell my wife and my mother, "there are a billion things you could worry about happening, and it is the thing you don't worry about that will likely happen". And as Marin says, fuel costs are the least of the costs of boat ownership.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:32:31 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Guru

If our boats burned 60 GPH I suspect we'd all adjust our boat usage after a while. I know when fuel went up to $5/gallon when we had our previous boat, it really did impact our usage. Or, more accurately stated, it impacted our speed. We virtually never went on plane when it went that high in price- hard to justify paying $150 an hour just in fuel burn costs all in the name of getting there just a few minutes faster via a moderate cruise speed on plane. We still went out every weekend- we just went slower. In the end it also showed us that going slow is actually more relaxing and enjoyable.

But this again is where we really love having a trawler. With fuel burn at basically almost nothing, cost of fuel is not a concern for us at all from a boating perspective.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Has me in a bloddy tizzy mates. If fuel gets any higher I'll have to go 5 knots and then I'll be burning 1.5 quarts an hour. As it is I'd be very hard pressed to burn $50 a day but on the other hand this summer we intend to cruise in SE a total distance of at least what it would take to go back down south and return. So if fuel goes to $7 or $8 a gallon I'll still not be concerned and if I had bought one of those other boats I've been looking at I would (to some extent) be concerned. So I'm a happy camper. Thinking about our discussion of running engines at the float I took Willy out for an hour or so today. Was calm and very nice in the bay but out in Clarence Strait lumpy seas we're coming in from the east. It's been months since I dipped the tanks and I think I noticed a slight stbd list so I need to flip the distribution valves to draw off the stbd tank.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Nope.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

If I still had my old gas boat I don't think I'd worry too much as at 16K it got ~2 mpg. 28 fter.

However, some of out friend with 32-36 gas boats have definitely curtailed their trips and the frequency due to the cost. Even if they slow down it still cost enough to be of concern.

I'm happy with our boat. I wish it would do 15-18K at 2 gph but my fairy wand isn't working any more so I have to be happy with about 7.5K at 2.5 gph. or about $12-16 per hour.
With fuel as it seems to be going, the running costs will go up but we can still handle it without too much griping.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"So I used to get a bunch of friends, take all day (at least 8 hours) and have a wonderful time seeing the City. New York never looks prettier than from the water."

With careful attention to the tides (depart under the Throgs Neck at high tide ) the fuel burn can be a gallon or two.

No engine required to flush down and back , just to steer in Hells Gate , if needed.

For most 100 -200 hour displacement marine motorists , fuel costs are meaningless.

Of course we would all like to see 17c a gallon again , but not with 85% of our countrys energy "off limits", its probably not happening soon.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Yes I do!!!!!** Not for the boat, but for the economy in general.

Fuel costs are passed to the consumer in everything we buy.

It is not the price that bothers me as much as how quickly it can change.

The fact we refuse to develop our own (United States) energy independence, leaves us at the whim of every middle east crisis.

As soon as the US starts to look into doing something about it OPEC lowers the price and the whole cycle starts again.

100/barrel= do able

150/barrel= recession

200/barrel=* ???????

Do we really want someone else in the World setting the price?

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #10

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

My last boat was a twin gasser that could burn $200/day if I pushed it. Now burning 1.6 GPH @ 7 knots, I laugh when I pass the fuel dock. But I agree with JohnP, it's not good for the economy in general.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Not worried YET... But that could change.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:- I got through the Gate, and was almost up to the Con Ed power plant, when, before I could react, the current spun her 90 degrees. I powered her up and swung the wheel hard to port.

-- Edited by Old Stone on Saturday 26th of February 2011 08:03:12 AM
********** Carl, I did a 180 in the same spot in a light weight sloop with a fin keel and a 2 cylinder Yanmar.*** It just pulled the wheel right out of my hand.

***********Strange currents there!

********* JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If diesel at the dock goes to $10 per gallon, it will cost me less than that per hour of operation of Boomarang.

Ah, diesel trawlers.* The Jetta TDI of the waterways!
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

6gph at 16 knots....not bad for a planing 30 footer.

-- Edited by Baker on Saturday 26th of February 2011 10:01:12 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
Guru

Baker, I see this thread has left you speechless!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #16

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Yes, I do care about rising fuel prices. I don't have a diesel trawler! Budds' Outlet burns 15 gph on plan which translates to 1.6 mpg. The trouble is that it is a pain to steer straight at 5-6 knots where it would get 4 mpg. However, as has been stated, fuel is not the biggest annual cost and I'm happy to be boating. I'm looking forward to the day when the auto pilot steers my diesel cruiser/trawler along at 7-8 knots and I plan my passages around tide tables.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #17

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

I am not a fan of higher prices on fuel, but the one interesting side effect on the water there are less 5-6' Bayliner wakes to steer through or around.

3 years ago when there was a spike in fuel, somehow most of these wake makers suddenly slowed down to closer to displacement speed - sure made the waterways here in the PNW*much less choppy.

Also, there were far fewer boats in the really great anchorages further north.

On a typical summer's cruise, I burn 1.5 gal/hr at 7.8Knts. - even if I run up to the Broughton group from Seattle, that is around 60-70 gallons each way. While I will probably end up putting on 200-230 engine hours on such a trip, it still is a fairly inexpensive bill in the grand scheme of things.

AT $4 per gallon, $1200 for a summers worth of fuel still is not too bad -

My household budget for gas/diesel is $300 a month - which I am not consuming when I am on the boat anyway.
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Baker, I see this thread has left you speechless!
I am probably the only one that understands your post. *I posted something and it just didn't show up!!!...So I went back and edited and repoted...weird.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #19
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

When I think of it in terms of distance (the loop, foe example), yes...I get concerned, because I do want to do some distance cruising in the future, but someone here on another thread switched my thinking to "enjoyment per hour". There, at less than 2 gallons per hour, I'm happy.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Yes, since we heat the boat with diesel.* We use 10 to 20 gallons each week.* To day is 23 degrees and snowing so we are using 20+ gallons per week.*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote