Do you strap your dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
There has got to be a better answer than the ratchet strap. Yes, the pair of 1” stainless ratchet straps hold my dinghy tight and secure in my Dinghy Butler, but setting them almost doubles my retrieval time.

Usually by the time I think of something there is already an industry making them. Hoping so in this case. Instead of the ratchet strap with all of its flexibility in length from the spool design, I am looking for a cam toggle design more like the mechanism that tightens ski boots. Yes, the “cam toggle strap” would only have an inch or so between loose and tight, but that’s all I need to lock my dinghy in place for travel. Anyone know of such a strap?

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpeg
    IMG_1637.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 226
I just use a rope to a cleat or if on the bow, a round turn and half hitch to a handrail on the coach roof. There are cam-like locking devices for anchors it you have a sturdy fixed point like a bow eye of a rigid floor dinghy which could work.

Last edited:
Something like this?

Attachments

• com.google.android.apps.photos.Image.pdf
    290.2 KB · Views: 110
What about the over center straps used to tie down trailer boats at the transom?

Keep it simple? We have a Takacat on the flybridge of our Helmsman 38e. If we do not secure it we will launch it in a big windstorm. But one simple kayak cam strap though a d-ring on the bow and over to the railing, and another on the stern, also to the railing, keeps it from launching. Cost <$10 and takes 30 seconds to install both.

There are certainly solutions more simple than ours, but we are well past committed to the Dinghy Butler and it is everything we envisioned. East launch and retrieval, safe and secure storage out of all sight lines, and unimpeded access of the swim platform. Securing for travel with ratchet straps is not that difficult, but a far better answer is so close.

What is that thing, Gdavid? Can you post a link to the source?

Something like this?

What about the over center straps used to tie down trailer boats at the transom?

Ah-hah! You mean like this? I knew you guys would know the answer. A stainless version of these paddle lock tie-down straps is what I’m after. Thanks Porman.

2" x 7' Boat Trailer Tie-Down Straps - 2 Pack | Quick & Effortless Marine Transom Paddle Buckle Strap https://a.co/d/epIkTYO

Here's the company you want to use:

CustomTieDowns.com - 1 Inch Stainless Steel Tie Downs

They make custom straps in different widths (1, 1.5, and 2") with stainless steel ratchet or cinch hardware. Webbing is available in different colors with different types of ends.

Have bought from them several times and always satisfied. I use a cinch strap at each end to keep my dinghy from moving for and aft, and a 2" ratchet strap to secure it to the cradle.

Ted

I wish I had pictures to share but I can't find them. I don't know your davit system so perhaps this is irrelevant. My dinghy is on my upper deck in a cradle. I started with 1-inch cinch straps that I custom sewed fastened to the deck with footman loops (flat padeyes). So the straps are captive and not removable. I sewed a decent sized loop in the end so I could snug them tight.

Issue is I cannot get them tight enough. As Ted says, at least one needs to be a ratchet buckle, not just a cam buckle. So I will remake the straps using SS cam buckles. Again, they will be captive so no loose straps. Not difficult but does require them to be custom made.

Here are Suncor 1-inch SS ratchet buckles

https://suncorstainless.com/steel-product/ratchet-buckle/

Also, if you have room, a turnbuckle attached to a padeye is very strong and is pretty easy. Here's a 316 version with an eye on one end, hook on the other. Would require some custom rigging though.

https://usstainless.com/hardware/tu...10-turnbuckle-hook-and-eye-10mm-marine-grade/

Peter

Last edited:
Here's the company you want to use:

CustomTieDowns.com - 1 Inch Stainless Steel Tie Downs

They make custom straps in different widths (1, 1.5, and 2") with stainless steel ratchet or cinch hardware. Webbing is available in different colors with different types of ends.

Have bought from them several times and always satisfied. I use a cinch strap at each end to keep my dinghy from moving for and aft, and a 2" ratchet strap to secure it to the cradle.

Ted

Outstanding! Thanks Ted.

When I finally sat down to order a set of tie-down straps from CustomTieDownStraps.com, I ended up talking to their support lady about the myriad of buckle options they offer and found none of them do what the ski boot buckle does. There are a lot of cool features and plenty of options, but none shorten the distance between the hooks at each end by more than a half inch or so. The cam buckle holds the distance, but offers no mechanical lever advantage. The ratchet buckle does, but with far more complexity than the simple ski boot design.
316ErRhpOfL.jpg

I went back to anchor chain tensioner Gdavid suggested, but that is designed to mount to the deck and hook onto the anchor chain to take tension off the windlass. Not the right application.

While a shorter (or correct) length ratchet strap from CustomTieDownStraps.com with carabiners at each end would work and be far easier than what I have today, I think I'm back at the drawing board. How can something as ubiquitous as the ski boot buckle not have made its way to the cargo strap world?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom