Do you Sous-Vide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This gets used more often that I would have imagined when I got it as a gag gift.

:thumb:

Got a big one at home and a small one on the boat...just in case it's too cold or wet or pack of propane for grilling. Surprisingly, it does a decent job and easy to clean.

I'm having a hard time believing it will ever be more revolutionary than the microwave to the average person. Generally shortening the time to accomplish the same task is revolutionary. Taking longer to accomplish the same task is considered retro. I'm good with slow cooking. Using it to heat up leftovers, a can of soup, or anything else that needs heating, isn't going to happen. But I'm keeping an open mind if you care to expand on your claim. ;)

Ted

Yep, time is precious. But, on a day's cruise turning this gizmo on at noon should have a nice meal ready by dinner. We do use the crockpot a lot for this task. Stick it in the sink so it doesn't turn over though.

:thumb:

Got a big one at home and a small one on the boat...just in case it's too cold or wet or pack of propane for grilling. Surprisingly, it does a decent job and easy to clean.

T-Fal Optigrill does much better. They're great.

Long ago I had a baconer of some sort, not exactly like the one you pictured. It actually worked well. However, microwave bacon appeared and the baconer was rendered obsolete.

Had a hot dog machine once too.

Indoor grills, I've been through them all. Cheap Sanyo grill to expensive Breville, then to Gaggenau and Kenyon. Oh, and don't leave out the T-Fal Optigrill which is pretty amazing and works exactly like they claim. Every kitchen tool too, some good, some not so good.

I've never been able to get the hang of the slow cooker. I've had others use them around me and it worked great, but mine never turned out as well. For someone who seldom cooks, I still very much love kitchen stores.

Thank you for quoting 2 French brands, it is always good to hear.

T-Fal Optigrill is versatile, convenient and accurate, in my opinion it is not enough power to properly sear a steak.

Gaggeneau is a one of top brands, lava stones provides intense heat for perfectly cooked grilled food.

Still having indoor grill (Gaggeneau Vario electric grill & roaster series), I much prefer rather outdoor ones, an American bbq grill & oven, a plancha from Spain.

I love also kitchen stores, the most amazing stores I have seen were located in countries on the west side of Persian Gulf, really amazing !

Attachments

• Img_2829.jpg
    Img_2829.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Img_2830.jpg
    Img_2830.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 19
Yep, time is precious. But, on a day's cruise turning this gizmo on at noon should have a nice meal ready by dinner. We do use the crockpot a lot for this task. Stick it in the sink so it doesn't turn over though.

I'm good with the crockpot and a rice steamer. My limit is about 4 ingredients. Simpler is better, unless somebody else is cooking. My wife coined the phrase, "If it takes more than 25 minutes, turn up the heat and stir faster".

Ted

Thank you for quoting 2 French brands, it is always good to hear.

T-Fal Optigrill is versatile, convenient and accurate, in my opinion it is not enough power to properly sear a steak.

Gaggeneau is a one of top brands, lava stones provides intense heat for perfectly cooked grilled food.

Still having indoor grill (Gaggeneau Vario electric grill & roaster series), I much prefer rather outdoor ones, an American bbq grill & oven, a plancha from Spain.

I love also kitchen stores, the most amazing stores I have seen were located in countries on the west side of Persian Gulf, really amazing !

A strong searing of the steak might be overrated a bit as the Optigrill still achieves very good taste. Certainly not like a large outdoor gas grill. Gaggeneau and Kenyon we have on boats. Both do an excellent job. They don't reach the temperatures of a good gas grill, but great options for boats. At home we have an outdoor kitchen with some great grills. Restaurant charbroilers with infrared might cook better but not nearly the fun.

That was a nice read but anyone that uses heat beads and not hardwood charcoal has no clue ;)

To suggest that the author of that site has no clue?
Sorry, you are wrong!!!
Go back and read more... Meathead may be one of the most accomplished grill masters going.
I have never failed to be impressed with his methods that i have tried.
He can be called a lot of things but clueless is not one of them.
Bruce

To suggest that the author of that site has no clue?
Sorry, you are wrong!!!
Go back and read more... Meathead may be one of the most accomplished grill masters going.
I have never failed to be impressed with his methods that i have tried.
He can be called a lot of things but clueless is not one of them.
Bruce

Well its up to you if you like the horrid taste of heatbeads compared to pure lump charcoal.

Sorry, I missed something in translation here. What the heck are heatbeads and where is/are they mentioned in Mr. BL's link.

Sorry, I missed something in translation here. What the heck are heatbeads and where is/are they mentioned in Mr. BL's link.
The photo of the steak cooking in the kettle clearly show little square heatbeads which in the world of BBQ experts are the less excepted bbq fuel as they are made from crap wood which gives off a coal smell when cooking.

reverse_sear_final_step.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. g. Ahhh...Thanks I missed that. Indeed, here we call them charcoal briquettes and yes they ARE made with coal. I agree with you. Less than optimum heat source. Clueless? Well, just this once.

Greetings,
Mr. g. Ahhh...Thanks I missed that. Indeed, here we call them charcoal briquettes and yes they ARE made with coal. I agree with you. Less than optimum heat source. Clueless? Well, just this once.

Clueless is anyone who doesn't take the time to read...
For the record, we only use hardwood as our BGE doesn't like briquettes for the reasons stated...
Open your minds and learn!
Bruce

How Charcoal is Made and How Charcoal Works

I prefer to eat my meat uncooked, just 5 minutes after the beast has been ripped off, still warm and jucy, and I do not loose any vitamin. Yes I am a cave man :eek:

So after 292 posts let me summarize. People like to cook their pizza sous vide in a wood oven but only on one side to keep the meat rare and juicy, toped with BPA flavoured sauce made of charcoal briquette cooked in a pressure cooker on a bbq with bacon grilled in a toaster.

I am sorry but... you guys are really really strange! :rofl:

Wifey B: Where I currently am, 10:34 PM, 73 degrees, low tonight 69, high tomorrow 82 degrees. :)

My son did a pro-chef course, with different visiting Cordon Blue starred restaurant owners each week who gave insider tips...

UNEVEN COOKING Tip: the best way to fry or grill steaks or lamb cutlets etc is to sear them crispy on just one side , then flip then over and cook to whatever specs you want from red to pink to overcooked on the other side.

ie: DON'T cook them evenly on both sides!

Works a treat. :)

Good to know, I will try that way. Thanks !

Sounds counter intuitive, but it works!

Remember to let all cooked meat rest for minimum 10 minutes before serving to let the meat re-adsorb the moisture that has evaporated in the cooking process ...obviously you will need to let it rest on a hot plate or surface so that it doesn't get cold .

No so sure about the scientific basis for this particular tip?

Certainly here in Australia and over in NZ, all the expert chefs always advise this approach, and NEVER TO KEEP TURNING GRILLED STEAKS OVER FROM SIDE TO SIDE, as that is a recipe for a tough steak. Just the ONE turn..! :)

As to the highlighted comment re reabsorbing. I think you meant reabsorbing the juices which have come out on the surface during cooking. If they had evaporated, that's it - gone... :D

Last edited:
Certainly here in Australia and over in NZ, all the expert chefs always advise this approach, and NEVER TO KEEP TURNING GRILLED STEAKS OVER FROM SIDE TO SIDE, as that is a recipe for a tough steak. :)

As to the highlighted comment re reabsorbing. I think you meant reabsorbing the juices which have come out on the surface during cooking. If they had evaporated, that's it - gone... :D
Once juices appear on the surface, it is cooked. Do not take it further, it may be too late already.
Some chef, maybe Heston Blumenthal,recommends turning the meat almost constantly. A kind of rotisserie effect?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom