Do you Sous-Vide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. bp. Total cooking time 35 minutes? "...meat will be seared and fall off the bone." Um, no. Meat will be essentially raw. Don't cook much do you?
Used to boil ribs to de-fat but now it's low and slow. 3hrs-4hrs @ 250F will give you the fall off the bone result. Tend to agree with Mr. BL. Boiling of ANY meat is pretty well sacrilege.

Last edited:
yes is a familiar way to prepare a juicy and tender meat VS.

This is also a very juicy way of making pig. strong smoke flavor, like a Viking. Brutal and delicious ancestral fathers would made foods.

Last edited:
And although I haven't tried it yet, I have a friend who "poaches" a whole salmon wrapped in foil in the dishwasher.

We did that, at least once, maybe a few times. Sounds goofy, but works like a champ.

-Chris

There are a number of ways to pull this off. This is what we use.
Bruce

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

We have one of these at home, but frankly I have found it disappointing. It takes so long. However, I guess with better planning ahead, that is not so much of an issue, and the quick high heat sear at the end might add to the appeal. I don't think my wife has been doing that.

Sunbeam Duos Sous Vide and Slow Cooker - MU4000 | Buy Appliances

The whole technique is first-heard, for me, so thanks for the thread.

The first two devices look useful, but not sure we have any burner on any stove that will heat as low as 130°F.

All gas burners at home will simply boil whatever water is in the post, at their lowest setting -- although some burners take longer to reach boil than others. Not sure about the boat cooktop burners; I'd have to check those...

Looks like the Sunbeam unit has a settable temp. Maybe the solution...

I don't know what temps liquids get to our current crockpots...

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. bp. Total cooking time 35 minutes? "...meat will be seared and fall off the bone." Um, no. Meat will be essentially raw. Don't cook much do you?
Used to boil ribs to de-fat but now it's low and slow. 3hrs-4hrs @ 250F will give you the fall off the bone result. Tend to agree with Mr. BL. Boiling of ANY meat is pretty well sacrilege.

The ribs shown below were cooked by the method you so cavalierly ridicule

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 54
Greetings,
Mr. bp. Don't cook much do you?

Well I guess that's relative if you don't count baking our own bread, making lobster/blue rose gnocchi from scratch, preserving our own meat and fish etc.

The roast pork stuffed with blackberries and black currants was also cooked by the same method as was the other pork roast stuffed with pineapple and chinese red pear . So, yeah I guess you are correct as always .... I don't cook much :)

Attachments

• Pork Black currant.jpg
    Pork Black currant.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 58
  • stuffed peppers.jpg
    stuffed peppers.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 58
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Blue rose gnochhi.jpg
    Blue rose gnochhi.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 002 (2).JPG
    002 (2).JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 46
I've not tried it though I am interested. I'd think that if you were doing a meal for a crowd with a somewhat flexible start time it would be huge.

Keep everything at temp and a quick sear to finish.....:socool:

That's actually where this method shines IMO. When I cook for a crowd with a tight deadline to serve this is the only way to go and avoid any hiccups.

Greetings,
Mr. bp. Allow me to explain wrt the ribs pictured in post #67. OK so you boil the ribs for 15-20 minutes. That may cook the ribs all the way through. Then on the grill for 15 minutes that will give the sear. As to the claim "...fall off the bone..." sorry, can't see that. Yes they will be cooked and I did indeed use the same technique in the past albeit, boiling for a longer time and then grilling but I never achieved the "fall off the bone" result until I went with the low and slow technique. I found, invariably that whilst the ribs were cooked with the boil and sear method, the meat was tough.
The rest of your gastronomic creations look scrumptious. Enough said.

RT You have been calling me names on this forum for several years and have on many ocasions gone out of your way to contradict and ridicule me no matter how insignificant the issue.

You are not nearly as funny as you think you are and have on many occasions spoiled this forum for me and I'm sure a few other people you have targeted in your mean spirited ways.

For some reason these last two cheap shots have broken the camels back, I'm tired of it and this is my last post on Trawler Forum.

DIRT FREE over and out.

Last edited:
Guys, don't you think you are a bit over reactive? Keep cool, take a beer, share a plate of slow cooked or not ribs and enjoy :)

:peace: :flowers:

Do you have to cook sous-vide in a plastic bag? My wife is concerned about cooking anything in plastic, and transferring carcinogens to the food.

I worry about food and plastics, and this is an issue with sous vide, which absolutely needs plastic (food needs to be placed in plastic and all the air pushed out). The concern is BPA. If you pay attention, you can find plastics, including bags for sous-vide, that are BPA-free. This doesn't totally placate me, but it's the best I can do.

The reality is that we have a hard time living on the boat (and the Airstream) without plastics for storing food. I don't like it, but it's something I live with. Weight, storage space (stacking), preventing breakage, and sealing are simply the best with plastic.

And since I live with a Caveman, I need the plastics to provide him with his sous-vide meat!

My wife and I enjoy the time it takes to put to a meal together-- it's cathartic for us. Drinking wine, talking, trying out new ingredients. We actually have more fun cooking the meal than eating it!

^^ What he said. (And we have a BGE too!)

Dorsey, is 130*F warm enough to release BPA from the plastic bag?

Wifey B: I'm decidedly not a cook, but we have someone aboard who knows Sous Vide and says we've eaten food cooked in our kitchen at home that was done Sous Vide. :)

She and another have gone by Uber to pick us up a couple for the boat. Guess we'll be trying maybe even tomorrow since we have about a 50 hour run to make. :)

Dorsey, is 130*F warm enough to release BPA from the plastic bag?

I honestly don't know if there is a simple answer to that question. I know some plastics claim to have no BPA in them. Some folks/sources claim that cannot be true. And then there's that question of what temp will release the BPA, and I don't know the answer, and I suspect it partially depends on what kind of plastic it is. And maybe there are other concerns beyond BPA, but that gets even murkier.

I always buy BPA-free when I can, but I am realistic that I can't totally protect myself. I Google around every now and then to try to stay informed, but the information out there seems to be a cross-section of hard-science/soft-science/hysteria/benign-neglect.

130 degrees is relatively low-temp. Water boils at 212. Steak sears at 400 - 1000 degrees. Dangers lurk everywhere, so I suppose we all pick our poison.

We don't do the sous-vide/plastic thing every night, so I don't think it will kill us. If I were feeding babies I might worry more, but us? eh.

Think of how much of your food arrives home from the grocery store already wrapped in plastic. It's really, really hard to get away from the stuff. I do like going to a real butcher and getting stuff wrapped in old-fashioned butcher paper, but that's just me! And then we put it in the sous-vide plastic bag...

LOL! Most meats we get are also already wrapped and vacuum sealed. We bring them home, split them into workable portions and then rewrap them in plastic and re-vacuum seal them for the freezer!

But my limited understanding of BPA is its release at elevated temperature. I've been told not to microwave in plastic, so now I don't (when she's looking...:hide:). Maybe it's time for some sleuthing on the subject.

I read a number of articles today on the danger or lack of danger with many different views. However, there were a couple that seemed well researched and balanced in their views and their statements were something like this-that they were not aware of any risks of Sous Vide and cooking in the plastic, assuming the right plastic. The research they'd seen revealed no dangers and they felt comfortable enough to eat Sous Vide and feed it to their families. However, they could not absolutely say there was no danger as they couldn't predict what might be found in the future on it or any of the other cooking methods they use.

Greetings,
Mr. FW. From what little searching I have done it seems the FDA has banned BPA from baby bottles since 2012 so it seems even at room temperature under certain conditions (acidic liquids) BPA may leach out of certain plastics. Problem seems to be estrogen like chemicals of which BPA is one. Might explain my moobs because I reheat in plastic as well.
The Admiral refuses to heat anything in plastic in the microwave even if it comes or is stored in plastic. Into a glass vessel for heating in every case.

I read a number of articles today on the danger or lack of danger with many different views. However, there were a couple that seemed well researched and balanced in their views and their statements were something like this-that they were not aware of any risks of Sous Vide and cooking in the plastic, assuming the right plastic. The research they'd seen revealed no dangers and they felt comfortable enough to eat Sous Vide and feed it to their families. However, they could not absolutely say there was no danger as they couldn't predict what might be found in the future on it or any of the other cooking methods they use.

^^^What he said. My 'research' reaches the same conclusion. Which is pretty much inconclusive. Be aware, then pick your poison. (Mine, at this moment, is vodka, offset by the antioxidants and vitamins in the 100% unsweetened cranberry and fresh squeezed lime...)

Back
Top Bottom