Do you Sous-Vide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once juices appear on the surface, it is cooked. Do not take it further, it may be too late already.
Some chef, maybe Heston Blumenthal,recommends turning the meat almost constantly. A kind of rotisserie effect?

Ok, Bruce, now you've really confused them after what I just posted.. :facepalm:

Ok, Bruce, now you've really confused them after what I just posted.. :facepalm:

Oui mon ami, je suis perdue maintenant !

But ... :

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 35
Certainly here in Australia and over in NZ, all the expert chefs always advise this approach, and NEVER TO KEEP TURNING GRILLED STEAKS OVER FROM SIDE TO SIDE, as that is a recipe for a tough steak. Just the ONE turn..! :)

As to the highlighted comment re reabsorbing. I think you meant reabsorbing the juices which have come out on the surface during cooking. If they had evaporated, that's it - gone... :D

Aha, that makes sense.

Commercial kitchens seem to let the meat sit for 10 minutes under infrared lamps to re-absorb the juice, so maybe holding them in the oven at low heat would replicate the process.

Once juices appear on the surface, it is cooked. Do not take it further, it may be too late already.
Some chef, maybe Heston Blumenthal,recommends turning the meat almost constantly. A kind of rotisserie effect?

One thing I've figured out over the years is that there are many ways to achieve very similar results and ultimately when it comes to steak the thing that really differentiates is the quality of the meat you start with.

One thing I've figured out over the years is that there are many ways to achieve very similar results and ultimately when it comes to steak the thing that really differentiates is the quality of the meat you start with.

?

But proper cooking sure doesn't hurt.

Well its up to you if you like the horrid taste of heatbeads compared to pure lump charcoal.

If you have a spare hour and an open mind, Meathead's The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling" | Talks at Google ...myth busting might be of interest

I just cant bring myself to use Briquettes we in Australia have a fantastic choice of. " pure lump charcoal."" I can guarantee there wouldn't be a quality restaurant in Australia that would ever uses Briquettes

Have you ever smelt the stench in a Big Green Egg with Briquettes ?????

Lump Charcoal

Charcoal is made by burning wood in the absence of oxygen, and lump charcoal is the product of that. Since lump is charcoal in its most natural form, it's no wonder purists will almost always prefer it. Beyond that, lump charcoal has a lot of attractive qualities; it lights faster, burns hotter, and leaves very little ash compared to briquettes. Lump charcoal is also more responsive to oxygen, making it easier to control the fire's temperature if your grill has adjustable air vents.
Pros: Lights quickly, burns hotter, little ash production, easier temperature adjustment, all natural
Cons: Burns faster, more expensive, less consistent (bags can contain unusably small pieces of charcoal)
Briquettes

Briquettes are kind of like the fast food of charcoal; they're cheap, reliable, can be found on almost every corner, but you really don't want to know what's in them. Unlike the pure lump charcoal, briquettes are manufactured wood by-products compressed with additives that help them light and burn consistently. These additives do give off a chemical smell when lit, but allowing them to burn until covered with white ash before starting to cook should avoid any off-putting smells transferring to your food. Although they may not sound attractive, there are some good advantages to briquettes. They provide a more stable burn, maintaining a steady temperature for a longer period of time with less hand holding then lump charcoal.
Pros: Burns longer, easier to maintain consistent temperature, cheaper
Cons: Longer to light, chemical smell, large ash production

Last edited:
Aha, that makes sense.

Commercial kitchens seem to let the meat sit for 10 minutes under infrared lamps to re-absorb the juice, so maybe holding them in the oven at low heat would replicate the process.
Once the juices within the meat are out, they are gone, not to be reabsorbed. As I understand it, resting is to allow the meat fibres to "relax". Resting time should = cooking time. Even with roasting pieces there should be 10-15 minutes of "resting" before cutting/slicing.
Sounds a bit "cheffy",but it is just experience,and listening to "experts"
Same as my rule that if "juices" appear on the surface of a steak, that`s it ,no more. But that`s just my "rare to medium" preference with steak.And I think the cooking process continues a little into the resting period, so I need to allow for that happening. Leaving meat under a heat lamp during "resting" sounds like more cooking to me.

Just cook the meat and let's have dinner in 20 minutes. I need to check the oil and get more ice for the beer. Nobody is going to change anyone else's mind.

Who would have believed it 311, sorry make that 312 posts on cooking tips, Pizza shapes and the right fuel to fire it all up, arguments, amazement & enlightenment.

We may all be getting on a bit(well most of us) but we are SNAGS to a man(& woman). great stuff............however the best way , bar none, to cook aged Emu is to boil it in a pot with a gumboot for seven hours, throw away the Emu & eat the gumboot.If you really want to be fancy add a carrot to the water & call it court bouillon.

Who would have believed it 311, sorry make that 312 posts on cooking tips, Pizza shapes and the right fuel to fire it all up, arguments, amazement & enlightenment.

We may all be getting on a bit(well most of us) but we are SNAGS to a man(& woman). great stuff............however the best way , bar none, to cook aged Emu is to boil it in a pot with a gumboot for seven hours, throw away the Emu & eat the gumboot.If you really want to be fancy add a carrot to the water & call it court bouillon.

Egads!

I just caught myself browsing through emu recipes on my ride back to camp at work...

This thread is so long I've already put aside my sous vide cooker. I'm on to the next gadget!!

[emoji51]

That would not give a rotisserie affect. With every flip, lots of surface juice will be lost. By contrast, when rotissing, most of the juices continually roll down the side of the meat.

Emu??? Yukkkk! Makes my gumboot taste like ostrich!

I developed a taste for emu as my dad raised them for a time. Not enough market so he stopped after a few years. The egg shells where fun to carve with a dremmel tool for artistic fun.

Gotta admit they where more fun to watch strut around the pasture than to grill.

Nice job, Art, on the oven for your friend.
I love the individuality of hand built ovens, truly a labor of love and a work of art.:thumb:

Thanks... Keeps me young!! :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom