Do you run with fenders deployed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was once told that running with your fenders out is like walking around with your fly down. :speed boat:

I walk around with my fly down a lot also. :eek: No big deal as long as its not hanging out. :oldman: I Know! TMI. :offtopic:

I walk around with my fly down a lot also. :eek: No big deal as long as its not hanging out. :oldman: I Know! TMI. :offtopic:

I do the same and a nurse asked me once if i was trolling. True incident that happened just after Sparks Family Hospital opened and i was working on an electrical problem that came up.
at first i gave her a blank look untill she mentioned my zipper was down

Last edited:
I do the same and a nurse asked me once if i was trolling. True incident that happened just after Sparks Family Hospital opened and i was working on an electrical problem that came up.
at first i gave her a blank look untill she mentioned my zipper was down

But she looked at the bait. :lol:

GBs look good/handsome to me. What's your idea of a good-looking boat?

Yeah, I love my Taiwan Trawler and I certainly love the looks of his Grand Banks. To each his own, I guess. :)

As far as the subject goes....we are guilty of forgetting to pull them in from time to time.

Last edited:
Okay, but what is the proper fender deployment for boatyard use?? This guy could have at least deployed them all at the same length!!

Attachments

• fender douchebaggery.jpg
    fender douchebaggery.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 93
Okay, but what is the proper fender deployment for boatyard use?? This guy could have at least deployed them all at the same length!!

Proper for boatyard use, in my opinion, would be no fenders at all. They get hung up in the straps on the Travelift, and those fenders hanging down have to be a nuisance if pressure washing or painting the bottom.

As we don't know what the boat is in the yard for, it's hard to determine the reasoning behind the fenders. However we have seen boats in the Seaview yard in our marina that are being washed for the customer. If fenders are tied "permanently" to rails or cleats, the guy doing the washing simply puts them over the side when it comes time to wash the deck and cabin sides and the boats look like the photo posted above.

Run with fenders deployed? - Sure, here's a photo:

Attachments

• DSC01429.jpg
    DSC01429.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 91
I didn't have time to read all of the posts. But we call them "Gypsy beads"!!! Because that is exactly what they look like when they are dangling from the side of the boat while underway.

gauche! Now that really hurt. When on Lake Union and on our dock we are the token white trash as most of the boat were meg a bucks, and we are a professed/confirmed dock queen condo. However, the Eagle is an ugly old classic trawler, so we tell them, that the way they did it back then. Heck most boats are not old enough to remember and/or if they are, they can not remember! :eek::D

OK so I forget once in a while. :flowers:

We are at a similar dock, we had t shirts made up that say "Trawler Trash", and we actually use the boat for cruising and captain it ourselves : :smitten:

Run with fenders deployed? - Sure, here's a photo:

thats a good idea when you are speeding home dead tired and weaving all over like i so often see on the interstate. The bumpers kinda protect your boat from the trucks if one gets a bit close. Why didnt i think of this

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If anyone is wondering why I've so many fenders: they haven't observed my docking attempts.

Last edited:
If anyone is wondering why I've so many fenders, they haven't observed my docking attempts.

attempts??? Should only take one try. Why do you think they have ruber on the edge of the slip? your suppose to just point er in the general direction of the slip then goose er a bit kick it outa gear and wait till she stopped rattling around before disembarking. Most important to take her outa gear.

Last edited:
............. Why do you think they have ruber on the edge of the slip? ......... .
To put black marks on your hull. Stationary black rubber and a moving boat are a bad combination and the dock always wins.

This guy in Ft Pierce yesterday thought it was a good idea:rofl:

Attachments

• P1080079.jpg
    P1080079.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 92
To put black marks on your hull. Stationary black rubber and a moving boat are a bad combination and the dock always wins.
they can be a bear to remove. Not that i :whistling:have ever rubbed the dock hard enough to leave marks but i have helped others:)

Sometimes the rubber kind of like vulcanoize to the gelcoat.

A mention...

Soft, durable, good looking, and easy to keep clean cloth stockings on fenders virtually eliminate fender marks on any color or material hull.

Lucky for us, at our dock, the roof support posts have white vertical rubber runners for our gunwales rub rail to contact if a bump, rub, or bounce situation were ever to occur (which of course never happens! – lol :rofl:).

Attachments

• TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 78
There is nothing wrong running dirty if the water is calm and the bumpers are hanging in the water. When moored on Lake Union for 12 years we ran dirty until we got though the locks going west, and though the University cut until Lake Washington. So I don’t think about takeing them in until we are in open water.

We invest rubber/plastic dock rub/protection and 8 round bumpers left on the dock, However, we still sometimes mark the hull, which is no big deal as I can rub out/repair quickly, which is the reason I use cheap Brightside which is easy to match. But that is one of the nice things of having a ugly old trawler as bang/marks just make it look meaner/used. We have a new neighbor across from us a 70+ ft old ocean tug from Alaska that has tires permanently mounted. The more I look at then, the more I think that is not a bad idea. Except I would use white wall tires. I mean we don’t want to look to trashy! :socool:

Back
Top Bottom