Old 02-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Do you need to buy marine/Rv toilet paper?

Just came across this test of various brands of toilet paper on YouTube.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Scott Comfort Plus single ply. 24 rolls for $5.48 at Walmart. Disclaimer, our toilet is a Marine Elegance that has a built in macerator. Nothing resembling TP comes out of the holding tank on pump-out.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I recall some time ago that Peggie Hall, the Headmistress, saying that any single ply tissue works well. Within a few hours of flushing with that kind of TP there is nothing left of it but tiny cellulose particles.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: gulf coast
Put a piece in water and see if it dissolves
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
We use Charmin 2 ply extra strength. We have two marine head, the Elegance and a Raritan something, one of their better models prior to the Elegance. Both electric and fresh water. Never, ever had a problem. I avoid the so called marine paper, nothing much worse than stained fingers
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I recall some time ago that Peggie Hall, the Headmistress, saying that any single ply tissue works well. Within a few hours of flushing with that kind of TP there is nothing left of it but tiny cellulose particles.David
Doesn't even have to be single ply...but not just any single ply either. If you want to find out whether any TP is safe to use in a marine toilet, tear off a sheet or two and put it in a mason jar or big glass of water. Come back in a couple of hours and stir the water. If the water is milky and all that's left of the TP is "snow," it's the same thing as "marine/rv" TP...but if the sheet(s) is still intact or mostly intact, try another brand.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Phoenix
Vessel Name: King of Nothing
Vessel Model: Hampton Endurance 658
Peggy, thanks for keeping it simple.
Corky Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #8
FF
Guru

" Come back in a couple of hours and stir the water."

Some British folks prefer shaken , not stirred.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #9

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
We use quality paper from home in our Nature's Head composting toilet. We do not see any paper other than a bit around the edges away from the stirring crank when dumping.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
" Come back in a couple of hours and stir the water."

Some British folks prefer shaken , not stirred.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #11

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
I have never used marine or RV toilet paper and I never had a problem in over 40 years.
I do what Peggy said, put a few sheets in a glass of water and shake it up. If it breaks up after being in the water 10 or 15 minutes it is safe to use in my boat.
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We don't even bother to do the test. We just use the same stuff we have at home. The electric macerating toilet chews up everything... short of screwdrivers, wet wipes, and so forth.

-Chris
Old 02-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We bought whatever was marked "septic safe" at Costco or Sam's. Sometimes that was Scott's single ply..... which for the finicky quickly becomes double or triple ply with a fold or two... All worked great for over 6 years full time live aboard with one particularly high per-flush usage crew member included. Vacuflush heads.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #14
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I missed this thread. Larry pointed me to this thread, thanks again, after I made a duplicate post yesterday.

I am going to "assume" that a manual flush toilet, like the Jabsco without a macerator, would handle most septic safe TP fine. That is what we use at home because of our septic system. No sewer systems here. I'm planning to us PVC in the boat for our waste lines and only use sanitary hose for the connections to the toilet(s) and waste tank(s). I've read around the internet that PVC can help prevent smells and clogs. It's on the internet so it's gotta be true.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I've been following Ms. Peggy's advice for years with success - and the stuff is cheap, to boot.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #16
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I missed this thread. Larry pointed me to this thread, thanks again, after I made a duplicate post yesterday.

I am going to "assume" that a manual flush toilet, like the Jabsco without a macerator, would handle most septic safe TP fine. That is what we use at home because of our septic system. No sewer systems here. I'm planning to us PVC in the boat for our waste lines and only use sanitary hose for the connections to the toilet(s) and waste tank(s). I've read around the internet that PVC can help prevent smells and clogs. It's on the internet so it's gotta be true.
Ben- I have used PVC for poop over the last 35 years or so, first in a sailboat and now in my Silverton. PVC WORKS! And best of all it is less expensive than stinkie hoses. I suggest that you consider using electrical PVC 90 degree sweeps for corners rather than normal fittings that could lead to ‘stuff’ getting stuck making the turn.

Good luck—
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
Guru

City: AR
I am going to "assume" that a manual flush toilet, like the Jabsco without a macerator, would handle most septic safe TP fine.

Maybe maybe not. Keep in mind that wet wipes are labeled "flushable" and "septic tank safe" but should NEVER be flushed down ANY marine toilet, manual or electric macerating (or household toilet either...they're causing million$$ in damage to municipal sewer systems all over the world). If you go with the results from the test in post #6 you can easily find out whether any TP is safe to use in a manual toilet. However, volume matters too. An overload of TP can clog any toilet, but the good news is, if you just wait an hour, a TP clog will dissolve on its own. Always add add water to the bowl of any marine toilet ahead of solids...if your toilet isn't designed to bring water in and hold it, use a cup from the sink. You'll use a lot less flush water and the bowl will stay a whole bunch cleaner if you do.

As for hard PVC being more reisistant to odor permeation than hose...that's true--of MOST hoses, but not all. And it's a lot cheaper. But it's really only suitable for long straight runs. Any installation that has more than one or two bends that are tighter than hard pipe can bend require inserting a radius fitting...very many of those and you'll spend the next 5 years chasing down which connection is leaking this time.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #18
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Ben- I have used PVC for poop over the last 35 years or so, first in a sailboat and now in my Silverton. PVC WORKS! And best of all it is less expensive than stinkie hoses. I suggest that you consider using electrical PVC 90 degree sweeps for corners rather than normal fittings that could lead to ‘stuff’ getting stuck making the turn.

Good luck—
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I am going to "assume" that a manual flush toilet, like the Jabsco without a macerator, would handle most septic safe TP fine.

Maybe maybe not. Keep in mind that wet wipes are labeled "flushable" and "septic tank safe" but should NEVER be flushed down ANY marine toilet, manual or electric macerating (or household toilet either...they're causing million$$ in damage to municipal sewer systems all over the world). If you go with the results from the test in post #6 you can easily find out whether any TP is safe to use in a manual toilet. However, volume matters too. An overload of TP can clog any toilet, but the good news is, if you just wait an hour, a TP clog will dissolve on its own. Always add add water to the bowl of any marine toilet ahead of solids...if your toilet isn't designed to bring water in and hold it, use a cup from the sink. You'll use a lot less flush water and the bowl will stay a whole bunch cleaner if you do.

As for hard PVC being more reisistant to odor permeation than hose...that's true--of MOST hoses, but not all. And it's a lot cheaper. But it's really only suitable for long straight runs. Any installation that has more than one or two bends that are tighter than hard pipe can bend require inserting a radius fitting...very many of those and you'll spend the next 5 years chasing down which connection is leaking this time.

--Peggie

Thank you both for your replies. I'm hoping for a straight gentle run downhill to the tank. I'm probably not that lucky though.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #19

City: Eastern seaboard ICW & into Canada
Vessel Name: mv Destinees
Vessel Model: 1996 40' Marine Trader Sundeck
Yes, RV toilet paper. There are some that are very nice to use. Additionally, as a lady I find it easier to use the adjacent shower head spray to rinse so no toilet paper is needed, except when actually needed. The clean water remaining on the body can be patted dry using the same cloth, hanging on the side of the tub or peg, that is used to wipe-down the shower or tub. Spread the cloth high in the compartment to be dryer and wash it weekly, so it is always clean and fresh.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #20

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
link to someone that tested some TP

http://littlecunningplan.com/2016/10...-with-science/
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote