Old 08-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Need to try the newer, redesigned models..... but the old ones were not worth the money in windy areas.
The new ones are probably much better. The problem is my last one was less than 4 years old.

I was not willing to risk yet another $300 in the off chance they had actually fixed the problem.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #22

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
I have the Magma Newport and hate it! Difficult to control constant temperature...it drips grease, and often blows out. I paid a fortune for the many (exclusive to Magma) parts needed to connect to a separate propane tank. My first choice is the Weber Q grill; too large for the boat :-( but used daily when rving :-)

Old 08-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The new ones are probably much better. The problem is my last one was less than 4 years old.

I was not willing to risk yet another $300 in the off chance they had actually fixed the problem.
Dang...I was planning on blackening sockeye on it next summer.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #24

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
I use a Magma Newport Infrared that is 2 or 3 years old. I use the pedestal mount on my swim platform. I have never experienced blow outs or other problems. It is difficult to tell if it is lit by looking at it. You can easily feel the heat coming off of it after hitting the igniter button.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
You guys who don't like Magma grills should know that the Newport, Catalina, and Monteray have all been redesigned. They claim much improved resistance to being blown out in high wind. There are several other improvements as well.
Hopcar, do you have any idea where one may purchase one of these wonderfully improved grills?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Weber Q 1000 and 1200 Gas Grill | Amazing Ribs

Above is a dissertation on what I have found to be the best, by far, onboard grill ever. I have had a number of on board grills over the years for both my party barge, then a Mainship, now our Present Trawler. Use the search option on here for Pix.
For a table and male rod type stalk to mount your Weber Q 1000 or 1200 contact Marine Liquidators, Fort Pierce and ask for their $60 something fish cleaning table. It is adjustable for leveling. Use 2 (stainless) u bolts to go over the Grills legs to mount it to the fish cleaning table. Stuff the stalk into a rod holder, level it then cook. Cooks good, resistant to wind, is not dangerous hot outside like a Magma, nor absurdly priced.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:47 AM   #27
Guru

I had several, they both sucked. Regulators failed often, finish turned black and would not clean up even with their $18 a bottle special cleaner. Never again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438294231042.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	42753  
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
Guru

Here ya go.....

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438523166.003937.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	42755. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438523243.372728.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	42756Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438523274.193408.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	42759Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438523320.027548.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	42760

Here is my outdoor cooking arrangement. The burner throws out a lot of heat for WOC, stockpot or big fry pan.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
You guys who don't like Magma grills should know that the Newport, Catalina, and Monterey have all been redesigned. They claim much improved resistance to being blown out in high wind. There are several other improvements as well.
As I posted earlier, I have a new Monterey model. I have gone over the design features with a fine tooth comb (as have my fellow ship mates) and we are amazed at the attention to detail of the grille. (ie The folding legs, the balance of the grille hood, the see through window, the electronic igniter, the angle of the housing to the drip pan, the ease of hooking up the regulator & propane bottle, the various methods of mounting and the associated hardware, etc. It's been many years since I last had a Magma (it was round and I hated it!) but this new infra red Monterey is, IMO, absolutely fantastic!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barbeque.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	42761  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Admiral and I jaunted into a relatively NEW West Marine location (In Marin City mall... next to Sausalito CA) yesterday. We purchased extendable boat hook (20% off retail sale price); for her assistance when we dock at our covered slip in SF Delta. This WM Store has been greatly improved from its previous nearby location and immediate personal assistance was appreciated.

So... by going to the BBQ isle... I got to chatting with marine-knowledge filled "Kevin" of WM about Magma BBQ grills and the horror stories in this thread. I learned the reason I enjoy ours so much is that its being seven years old means it was manufactured before Magma changed design. He readily agreed that the new ones blow out in even just breezes. Additionally, he has too often heard of many troubles with the radiant heat feature and that that feature seems to may be reason for flame blowing out too readily. Radiant heat "shields" can be simply removed and the Magma grills should work amply well - just like my seven year old one.

I place corrugated, top-ridge perforated, throw away "grill pads" over the grill racks on ours (often found in grocery stores - they're a bit thicker than hd aluminum foil). These catch 95% of the drippings. To further reduce drippings as well as BBQ cook-time we often pre heat our meats of any type in microwave. Speeds cooking up, greatly reduces grease on grill and keeps same BBQ taste via applications of brushed-on sauces while grilling.

I thank all who offered alternative grill brands. May try one when our Magma gives up the ghost. To date it's still cooking well!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #31
Guru

Hmmmm...old ones blew out....new ones blow out....absolutely fantastic despite the 3x cost factor....

If these posts were the top 20 reviews on Amazon or other.....

I would say magma has a pretty shakey rep but strong enough fo,low in to keep selling a few..

In all fairness though...blowout isn't uncommon for a lot of portables...especially if in exposed areas on a boat.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #32
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
As I posted earlier, I have a new Monterey model. I have gone over the design features with a fine tooth comb (as have my fellow ship mates) and we are amazed at the attention to detail of the grille. (ie The folding legs, the balance of the grille hood, the see through window, the electronic igniter, the angle of the housing to the drip pan, the ease of hooking up the regulator & propane bottle, the various methods of mounting and the associated hardware, etc. It's been many years since I last had a Magma (it was round and I hated it!) but this new infra red Monterey is, IMO, absolutely fantastic!

Walt - What's the ticket-cost on that puppy? At a fairly new WM store yesterday there were many Magma grills on display; I didn't notice one with a window. Window fog-up, get too dirty too quickly to actually see what's going on inside? Good looken grill on your good looken boat! Cheers!! - Art
Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Walt - What's the ticket-cost on that puppy? At a fairly new WM store yesterday there were many Magma grills on display; I didn't notice one with a window.
Just the other day I noticed that WM had the Monterey (Huge!) on sale for $489. (I don't pay that as I have a discount card from another source.) As for no windows on the samples you looked at, all the samples in my WM store had windows! I can't comment on the grille blowing out as I live in San Diego and that never happens. ()

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #34
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Art, the new model Magma Grills are the Newport II, Catalina II and Monteray II.
They have only been available for a few months and there are a lot of the old style still on dealers shelves, including mine. I haven't got the new ones up on my website yet but I do have them in stock and they sell for a little more than the old style.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #35
Guru

Sidebar; the Weber Q1000 and Q1200 also has a cast iron griddle set that fits where the cast iron grill set fits. Another + is that the cast aluminum housing does not get white, burn you to the bone, hot that the thin stainless models do. I heard of a shirtless guy that was wake thrown into his stainless grill that had an ER trip for 3'rd degree burns on his belly. I have an old scar on the forearm from a kettle model that required a asbestos glove to even lift the lid. Also the do not discolor over time.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Hmmmm...old ones blew out....new ones blow out....absolutely fantastic despite the 3x cost factor....

If these posts were the top 20 reviews on Amazon or other.....

I would say magma has a pretty shakey rep but strong enough fo,low in to keep selling a few..

In all fairness though...blowout isn't uncommon for a lot of portables...especially if in exposed areas on a boat.
Regarding Magma "blowing outs":

I've cooked on ours uncountable number of times, often in mid range to stiff winds. I truly can not recall it ever blowing out. I alternate cook temps... high, medium, or low... depending on grilled-food factors.

On pict: Dark cover-canvas square is grill attached to second elevation of hand rails. Plenty of opportunity for winds to accost that grill... yet no blow outs!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	42762  
Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #37
Guru

Art, just to give you an idea on the prices of the new ones, I sell the old Monterey for $380.00 and the new Monterey II for $419.95. I expect other dealers have similar prices.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #38
Guru

Well.....the two blowout reports came from retailers...HopCar in an early post and a West Marine salesman in a later post.

And as I posted...probably due to location and what kind of winds people grill in...blowouts/poor cooking do/does happen. Many times I wanted to grill but the wind would have supercooled the grill to the point of not cooking or have blown it out....so plan B was implemented.

People should be smarter than their grills but a great grilled meal is worth sacrificing for....

I guess chalk up another reason for well protected cockpits....
Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Art, just to give you an idea on the prices of the new ones, I sell the old Monterey for $380.00 and the new Monterey II for $419.95. I expect other dealers have similar prices.
Parks, That's a damn good price from what I've seen....will certainly keep you in mind for future purchases. Do you have a different price list for "guys in the white hats?" (That's good guys!)

Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #40
Guru

I have a theory about the blow out problem. I wonder if those that have a blow out problem are actual cooks who try to use the grill at less than full blast and the others, who don't have problems are Neanderthals (like me) who only burn steaks on the grill?
Charred on the outside, pink in the middle!