Old 08-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Do you leave your water pump on???

When away from the boat for any real length of time I typically turn off the potable water pump and the water heater.

My new watermaker is going to have a autoflush feature and the manufacturer recommends using the pressurized potable water system for that.

Do you leave your pressurized water on when away from the boat?

The next question is why, either way?

At a home I have a well. I never turn that off when I leave the house, why the big fuss with the boat? I've never had a unattended leak on either my boat or my house.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Most people I'd say turn them off. For many obvious reasons.

But in your case if you are going to be away from the boat for weeks at a time you might want to leave it on for your water maker. I doubt you carry enough fresh water to sink your boat if it develops a leak. B

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I have about 300 gallons of fresh water in tanks. I do not have a water maker. If I leave my fresh water system energized and I lose a hose connection or a hose breaks, etc, I lose about 300 gallons into the bilge. No big deal because 300 gallons in the bilge, should my bilge pump also fail, isn't the end of the world. The boat will still float.

I don't know how your water maker is set up. However, I can imagine this happening if I owned it....

My fresh water system provides pressured water to my water maker, but instead of back flushing and making water for storage, my broken system is sending it straight to the bilge. Murphy's law takes over and "disables" my bilge pump. My next visit to the boat will give me a good view of the top of the pilot house...

I don't leave my water pressured up. In fact, I don't leave any DC current in the boat while I'm away.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #4

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Most people I'd say turn them off. For many obvious reasons.

But in your case if you are going to be away from the boat for weeks at a time you might want to leave it on for your water maker. I doubt you carry enough fresh water to sink your boat if it develops a leak. B
We turn off the pressure water every time we leave the boat. Along with the WH and the head pumps. City water can sink your boat. Been a case or two in the marina here.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Do you leave your water pump on???

We leave our pump on as we also have a autoflush feature. Our pump has a feature where it senses no load on the pump (running dry) and shuts it's down. So nothing is put into risk.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #6

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
I don't think it's a good idea to leave mine on. I have no water maker at this time, of course that is a non-issue. If there is a small leak, the pump will continue to cycle to keep the pressure up. Eventually, all the water in the tanks will be pumped out. Then the pump will burn up. We have been off the boat for several months due medical issues. I turn off the dock water & water pump along with most electrical equipment that will not be needed while I'm away.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I have about 300 gallons of fresh water in tanks. I do not have a water maker. If I leave my fresh water system energized and I lose a hose connection or a hose breaks, etc, I lose about 300 gallons into the bilge. No big deal because 300 gallons in the bilge, should my bilge pump also fail, isn't the end of the world. The boat will still float.

I don't know how your water maker is set up. However, I can imagine this happening if I owned it....

My fresh water system provides pressured water to my water maker, but instead of back flushing and making water for storage, my broken system is sending it straight to the bilge. Murphy's law takes over and "disables" my bilge pump. My next visit to the boat will give me a good view of the top of the pilot house...

I don't leave my water pressured up. In fact, I don't leave any DC current in the boat while I'm away.

Back flushing a water maker does not make water. It just flushes the system.

And 300 gallons of fresh water leaking into your bilge from you water tanks will not sink your boat let alone even change the level of your water line. At least until it's pumped out.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
We turn off the dock presure water when ever we leave the boat. A big leak with the dock water connected can sink the boat. However, if we are on our own tank water then we leave it on. 200 gallons will not sink the boat and if we have a line break our pump will detect it and shut down after a few minutes. At least that is what the manual says.
Rogerh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post

And 300 gallons of fresh water leaking into your bilge from you water tanks will not sink your boat let alone even change the level of your water line. At least until it's pumped out.
I was gonna say the same thing!!!! Water in your tank is still onboard your boat...no different than in the bilge!!!!....hahaha!!!

Anyway, I do not have the feature that shuts my pump down so if it sprung a leak, I do not want my pump to burn up. So I shut it off.

With that said, I have a guy that is pretty good with AC and refrigeration. He has rebuilt my ice maker twice. He bascially asked me, "What the hell are you doing to that thing???!!!! The gears are plastic and there is basically a pile of plastic dust under where the gears used to be.". Anyway, I would turn my fresh water supply off without turning off the icemaker. The icemaker would continue to try to make ice and would run continuously. So for those with an icemaker if you turn your pump off....either turn the icemaker off or lift the little arm up to keep it from running.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
We turn the pressure water pump off as soon as we finish using it. A small leak can cause it to cycle and draw your batteries down. Should the system fail, my bilge pumps would pump the water over the side. Even if my bilge pumps failed (I have three independent pumps), I don't carry enough water to fill the bilge. Since the water is already on the boat it cannot sink the boat. I do not connect to marina water. I just use my hose to fill my tanks as needed. I don't have shore power or a generator, so my water heater is always off (it only heats water when the boat is underway).
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #11
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
If we're leaving the boat alone overnight we will turn off the water pump and water heater. Otherwise they stay on at all times. What we don't do is hookup to city water. We always run of our water tanks.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I shut mine off whenever I'm not using it. If I spring a leak the pump will continue to run until it dies. I don't hook up to city water very often, either. I've got a leaky water heater I need to bypass.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I shut mine off if I am away for the day. We are also hooked up to city water and the standing rule is away from the boat for more than an hour, the water is shut off. Friend of mine just about lost his boat to city water.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Almost Every post on here mirrors the traditional thinking I have been using.

We do not hook up to dock water. Never ever. We fill our tanks with dock water.

So... I turn off my pump so that if I do spring a leak it will not ruin my pump.

I am not worried about my boat sinking because there is zero difference between 200 gallons of fresh water in my bilge (if my several bilge pumps all failed) and that same 200 gallons in my tanks.

In over 15 years of boating my potable water system has never sprung a leak though. Never.

I bought the auto flush feature on my new watermaker. That way I do not have to A. leave a seacock open so the watermaker can keep itself clean, or B pickle the thing every time I leave the boat for a couple of weeks.

I guess I'll just overcome my now clearly unfounded fear of leaving my water pump on and enjoy the benefits of the new watermaker.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 08-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I shut mine off if I am away for the day. We are also hooked up to city water and the standing rule is away from the boat for more than an hour, the water is shut off. Friend of mine just about lost his boat to city water.
Yea, that's why we won't hookup. Can't forget then either.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Personally, I turn my water pump off along with most everything else when I am not on board. I never use dock water for pressurizing the internal system, only to fill my own tanks. I would ask what is triggering the "auto-flush" system on your watermaker? If your water maker is off then it should not trigger or require flushing. Are you running the water maker when you are not on the boat?
Just FYI a small leak say 1 gal per minute which is similar to a tank flush valve in your house not sealing all the way will drop 1,440 gals of water a day. If it drops it in a boat that is 6 tons of weight.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Ok, just a little FYI on watermakers.

They require either flusing or pickling when not in use for more than a few days.

Thats because the organic matter present in sea water starts to rot. Once all the oxygen is used up then anerobic bacteria starts taking over. This anerobic bacteria is hard on watermaker membranes.

pickling is basically flushing the system with a anti bacteria agent.

Regular flushing keeps fresh oxygenated water in the system, so anerobic bacteria cannot grow.

An auto flush system turns on your boost pump for 3-4 minutes every 5 days or so to automatiically flush the system.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 08-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I left my boat with the water on for about 70 hours once. When I returned, i found a 4 x 6 delaminated section of my companionway wall soaked with water. While I was away, the original hose on the cold water side of shower popped off and pumped 300 gallons over top the shower cabinet and into the walls. I was sick about it. I pealed off the veneer and was surprised to find the plywood unaffected. With no way to match the original veneer, I framed the area and dropped in a 4 x 6 fiberglass mirror which does nothing but reflect the surrounding teak in the companionway. Other than lightening the area a bit, the feeling remained unchanged and no one has noticed. Lesson learned.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
We always turn off the water pump when leaving the boat. It's no burden considering all the other switches that need to be switched. Two-hundred gallons of water in the shallow bilge could cause damage if the sump pump failed to work.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #20
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
We turned off the dock water when away, but leave the water pump on. In our case, to feed the very nice Scotsman ice maker that makes "real" bar ice, not "frozen ice". I guess if were going to be away a real long time, more than a few days, we'd turn it off.

Your system should have run dry protection either built into the pump or the external pressure switch.

We turned the dock water off merely because it is easy to do; it shouldn't be an issue in a well maintained and properly configured system and I was never uptight if I forgot to do it. You don't turn it off to your house do you?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote