Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #41
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
I don't have a water maker and I do shut off the water pump when I leave the boat. I don't turn it on till I need water. The domestic water plumbing on Frisky is not as robust as it is in my home.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:06 AM   #42
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Glad I've no need (and don't have the space) for a watermaker.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:05 AM   #43
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Yes when the water maker is in operation. In flushing mode it's back flushing (usually goes through a charcoal filter then enters after low pressure feed pump). So the only water at risk of entering the boat is fresh.

I'll have to look up how a fwm works. I was under the understanding they pump seawater through a membrane It requires many gallons of 'outside' water for each gallon of potable. Isn't that water being used an actual increase in gallons aboard? So, Aren't you proposing to have a potentially unlimited source of water being pumped Into the hull? I know.... Electronics, alarms And failsafes all considered. But,,
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 AM   #44

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Everything gets turned off except bilge pumps, both refrigerators and the battery charger. Plus I have to walk by the dockside water so that gets turned off also. I don't like leaving anything running when I'm gone for more than a few hours. Last summer I spent 3 months living aboard and kept the A/C running while at work. I never had an issue, but for the first week or so I was a little nervous but it's too damn hot here in FL to not keep it running if your living aboard.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Leaving the boat hooked up to dock water appears to have two potential problems, both mentioned in prior posts. A leak can have water dripping down and damaging walls and floors. Also a leak in the system can sink the boat.

Bay Pelican's fresh water system is such that a leak will drain to the bilge without damage to the walls or floors. As the hoses carrying the fresh water are low and usually under a cabinet this is probably true for most trawlers.

As to the leak sinking the boat this is a real issue and I have seen two boats that were sunk in their slips from leaks while connected to dock water. On those rare occasions when we are at a dock I install a garden hose flow meter. This will shut off the flow once three hundred gallons (my setting) have gone through the meter. Three hundred gallons will not sink the boat nor is it so small that the meter will shut off in the middle of a taking a shower. These meters are ten dollar items.

If I were to be away from the boat from more than a day, I would shut off the city water.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #46

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
I like that idea about the garden hose meter. It will also give some sort of useage.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #47
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
I'll have to look up how a fwm works. I was under the understanding they pump seawater through a membrane It requires many gallons of 'outside' water for each gallon of potable. Isn't that water being used an actual increase in gallons aboard? So, Aren't you proposing to have a potentially unlimited source of water being pumped Into the hull? I know.... Electronics, alarms And failsafes all considered. But,,
The OP was not talking about leaving the water maker on to make fresh water. He was talking about leaving his fresh water pump on to pump fresh water through his water maker (while it's off) to back flush the system once a week to keep it clean.

And that flush water has to go through a charcoal filter to take out any chlorine in the flush water or the chlorine will kill the membranes.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote