Old 09-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #1

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
I must be doing something wrong

I must be doing something wrong. I always read about how the two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day that you sell it.

I am still enjoying every time that I step on board. We made it to Desolation Sound for the first time this summer and had a great time. The trip was cut short by a leaking macerator pump, a crappy way to end the holiday, but I still see the trip as a success.

We are dealing with contractors who have sterilized the aft stateroom and removed the carpet, and trying to arrange for new carpet, but I am still enjoying myself. I had always thought that the endless requirements of boat ownership would reduce the fun, but somehow unlike the problems in our townhouse, the boat still manages to bring a smile to my face.

Maybe after a couple of years i am still in the honeymoon period and will be more bothered later, but until then, I think I will have to enjoy the crap out of the boat. (Pun intended)
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Think the enjoyment is directly proportional to the use. Stuff happens. If you use the boat so little that it seems every trip is plagued, the joy of boat ownership will evaporate quickly. The solution is to use / enjoy it more.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 09-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
FF
Guru

"Think the enjoyment is directly proportional to the use. Stuff happens."

And the number of things that will need repair is directly related to the number and complexity of the systems on board.

Outfit a 65 fter as you would a 30 fter and life is really simple, as the TO DO list is short.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
Seems to me that the more you use a boat the less that goes wrong.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'll go out on a limb and disagree with the second part of that old saying, too.

We were sad to see our last boat go, even though it was for sale for a year and a half. After four years, we still miss it sometimes. I still think fondly of other previous boats. Even the wrecks I owned while I was young. We had some great times on every one of them.

I suspect that saying is true for those who were never really "into" boating, and just bought one because it seemed like the thing to do.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I was terribly sad when we sold our lake boat, even though we'd bought another for the coast. So many great memories. I can't imagine us not having a boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
What a bunch of salty philosophers we are.

Or as Kenneth Grahame said in The Wind in the Willows, "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not".

Perhaps we could adopt it as the Trawler Forum motto. What do you think Janet?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #9

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
Ah yes, the old macerator pump breakdown. My wife inadvertently dropped a makeup compact mirror into our electric head. She actually didn't notice. Later, I flushed the toilet. Lots of grinding and banging noises. The pump packed it in. Luckily, several week prior, I installed a holding tank for our forward stateroom to bring it into compliance( we never used that head) So, for the weekend, we had to endure walking 25 feet to go to the loo. When I tore out the old pump and told my wife I found all kinds of broken glass in the pump, she said " oh, I wondered where that mirror went"
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post

Or as Kenneth Grahame said in The Wind in the Willows, "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not".

I love it! That quote's long enough to be two paragraphs, though. Makes for a long motto! Maybe for a new TF "About Us" page.

I'm reporting your post to the authorities!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I love it! That quote's long enough to be two paragraphs, though. Makes for a long motto! Maybe for a new TF "About Us" page.

I'm reporting your post to the authorities!
Yeah, A's right Andy...it would simply not fit on here for example,

but sure is worthy of a sticky entitled "Poetic licence enhancement of an iconic boating statement."

PS. Tried several times to rotate the damn pic - won't work...I give up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0036.jpg  
Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474773236.995513.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	56692

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:16 PM   #13
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=FlyWright;482906] That quote's long enough to be two paragraphs, though.

Quite right, hoist by my own petard.

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not".

How about we shorten it to "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats".
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:21 PM   #14

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
This discussion is surprisingly apropos as my wife and I talked for a long time about renaming our boat "Messing About".
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:39 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Thanks Craig. I need to learn that trick. See PM.