Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Gosh there are lots of cheap people on this thread. I have generally found that showing gratitude pays off. Our mail carrier sure enjoys the bottle of wine - govt or not!

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Gosh there are lots of cheap people on this thread. I have generally found that showing gratitude pays off. Our mail carrier sure enjoys the bottle of wine - govt or not!
Yep... We've had this conversation at least one time prior to this. A bunch of cheap old men here that feel like nobody deserves anything extra for their efforts. That's fine by me. I am the one that gets all the extra attention when I call on the radio for docking assistance, pump-out, fuel, or anything. I get a great deal of pleasure from giving tips and enjoy listening to all the bitching from the people that feel like I am setting a bad example by rewarding them for what they think should be normal customer service. Tough beans.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
I am the one that gets all the extra attention when I call on the radio for docking assistance, pump-out, fuel, or anything.
Maybe employees are more greedy and less motivated on the east coast, I don't know.

But we have been frequenting some of the same marinas here and in BC for some 14 years now, 24 years if we include the boardwalk resort up the north end of Vancouver Island where we go halibut fishing with our small boat every spring.

Same deal with the yards we've used and the marine businesses we support. These places all know us by name, they treat us as well as they treat all their customers or sometimes better since they've known us so long, and we have never tipped a dime nor have we ever been made to feel we should.

My point is not that tipping is wrong, at least in the US (it's actually an insult in some countries). If it makes you feel good to tip, or if the marina or yard is such that the only way to get prompt and courteous service is to tip, fine, have at it.

But tipping does not automatically result in better service. It all depends on the people doing the work. We have never been given the impression that tipping would result in better, faster, or more courteous service in this area and we get the same treatment--- or better-- than the boaters who do tip at the same establishments.

Because a customer who's an ******* is still an ******* even if they tip, and it's been my observation that customers get treated based on their attitude and behavior toward the business and its employees, not on how much if anything they tip.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I hate the concept of tipping but it exists. I never expect a tip after an assistance tow. But ...often when people do it , they sometimes get the REAL extra service...in most cases I linger long enough to ask a few detailed questions about their boat's problems and either fix it for them or tell them how it could/should be fixed...usually saving them hundreds of dollars and more importantly getting them back out on the water that afternoon when their boating time is really important due to a limited season.

So sometimes it's less about the service you got and more about what that person may do or say for/about you that pays off in the long run.

As a former gov't employee...getting tips is really nice. Many times we (my crew or unit) had to turn down some pretty generous tips after saving people, families, etc... but directed them to different funds or orgs that could support the military in different ways so it was still nice when people offered.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote