Old 09-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #21
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
There are several issues to the "marine" vs "non marine" debate.

Yes, engine manufacturer's jack up marine prices and non marinization OEM parts can often be purchased from tractor supply shops much cheaper. Even some marinization parts like oil coolers can be bought from US suppliers.

Some marine labeled equipment is exactly the same as its RV equivalent but much higher priced. There might be a little justification for this, because the warranty rate for marine stuff is probably higher than RV stuff. The marine environment is tougher.

And some marine equipment has subtle differences from its RV equivalent- stainless vs painted or galvanized housings, chrome plated brass vs pot metal, marine UL certification for electrical items, etc.

Some of the marine stuff is worth it, some isn't. It is often difficult to know which is which.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I thought the thread was about actual marine items, not "West" marine branded items.... that's a whole 'nother (dead horse) subject!
Sorry if I offended you by using the two price points I had. I guess I didn't read the thread rules....

Old 10-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #23
Guru

City: AR
If it's anything electrical or fuel related, pay for the 'marine' version. I can't count the number of marina fires that are started by a boat owner who "can't see any reason to pay $12.95 for that switch when I can buy the same switch for $4.50 at Home Depot." This post on another site is likely another example of what happens when you don't buy the marine version:
Yet another boat fire..... | SailboatOwners.com Forums
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
If it's anything electrical or fuel related, pay for the 'marine' version. I can't count the number of marina fires that are started by a boat owner who "can't see any reason to pay $12.95 for that switch when I can buy the same switch for $4.50 at Home Depot."
I totally agree. Not that you cannot get ripped off, of course, but there are some things which just really should be the marine version. A good example, which bit me, was buying "stainless steel" screws at a hardware store one time. A lot cheaper than Jamestown. They rusted within a few months in the salt air. Ditto with some hose clamps. Learned a lesson and it did not cost me dearly. But it could have.