Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #121
Guru

The very short answer to this thread question: "Is the Pope a Catholic".
(No religious offense intended, just mild humour)

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #122
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Eric,
You nailed it!! This is the most comfortable handling. I rather enjoy the timing in making the turn into the wake just timed to miss their stern. The look in the eye as you make the turn brings a chuckle. Particularly if the passing boat is one of our local charter boats with 'nimrod' tourist on board.
Being slow, and keeping an eye aft you have the advantage of being prepared. Often as the passing is completed a short comment on 16 becomes the cherry on top.
There has been times that I sought out the offender in the harbor and discussed some simple logic. "Say Son, when you saw my slow boat ahead of you some 1/2 mile or more, would it be a problem to swing out at a slight degree and pass with some distance between us?" "Just asking." " I mean, a little later I will be coming by you as you are trolling with your charter guest. would it seem fair that I took pictures of your boat as I circled at 6-7 knots creating a series of continued rolling waves as your guest hang on for dear life wondering what in the hell that fellow is taking pictures for?"
Just say.
Thanks Eric, now my frustration with fast boats that have to brush my outboard bumpers as they pass.
PS: I like your new boat picture posting. Am still working on how to shrink my picture down.Waiting for a Granddaughter to wander by.
A.M.Johnson
27 foot Marben
"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he will just kill you"

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #123
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Ready to turn into this fellow's wake.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #124
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Ready to turn into this fellow's wake.

Ever noticed how the wake of tugs and ships totally destroys your steering? The disturbance underwater from those big props, and hulls too, is best avoided, especially with other vessels nearby.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #125
Guru

If you think tugs throw out a huge wake, you should try getting over the wake of a nuclear submarine scootin' right along on the surface. Most of the boat (yes, they are called "boats) is underwater, so the wake is quite large.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #126
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
You probably want to give aircraft carriers a wide berth too . . .

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) conducts rudder checks.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #127
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
My wife and I were rounding Cape Caution in our sea kayaks, and met two huge tugs without tows "racing" in the opposite direction. The swells were big enough that the horizon and shore disappeared at the bottom of the swells trough, then we got hit by the two wakes coming from different directions. Like it wasn't epic enough already!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #128
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
...try getting over the wake of a nuclear submarine scootin' right along on the surface. Most of the boat (yes, they are called "boats) is underwater, so the wake is quite large.
Well yes, some of the non nuclear ones were actually called "U-Boats".
Now why am I thinking of Northern Spy`s avatar?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #129
Guru

City: Pensacola
Only when evading Sea Ray yahoo wakes.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #130
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Only when evading Sea Ray yahoo wakes.
i resemble that remark! My Ray at Yahoo speed was hardly in the water to make a wake cept in a turn and then she would skid for a good bit before she'd take a bite....oh how i loved that feeling...kinda like on ice
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #131
Veteran Member

City: Corio
Vessel Name: Kittyhawk
Vessel Model: Careel 22
After reading every post in this thread I think I'll forget about buying any type of straight out power cruiser (they cost to much to run) and buy a nice 38' or 42' Trimaran. Trimarans sail well, they are fast and under motor power alone, they run on the smell of an oily rag, about half a litre per hour...They are also shallow draft...Perfect for the Great Barrier Reef area. Did I mention the fact, they don't roll a lot
kando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #132
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kando View Post
After reading every post in this thread I think I'll forget about buying any type of straight out power cruiser (they cost to much to run) and buy a nice 38' or 42' Trimaran. Trimarans sail well, they are fast and under motor power alone, they run on the smell of an oily rag, about half a litre per hour...They are also shallow draft...Perfect for the Great Barrier Reef area. Did I mention the fact, they don't roll a lot
they have there good points but have you tried crossing the bar with one? They look good on paper but if they were there would be lots more around
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #133
Veteran Member

City: Land O Lakes
Vessel Name: Polaris
Vessel Model: 1984 43' Marine Trader La Belle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hard Chine: By their own volition... well designed hulls, superstructure and low center of gravity boats with twin screw powered planing hulls, having a good sized keel, roll considerably less than other designs while traveling above hull speed; depending on sea conditions in respect to speed traveled this bottom design tends to stay more perpendicular. At anchor... stability depends on wind and sea conditions as well as anchoring technique (fore... or fore and aft) for any style hull. Of course many type stabilizers may assist stability during nearly any sea condition and boat operation or still position.

Art
That sums it up pretty well. My trawler has both hard chines and a good size keel both of which help to reduce roll. Round bottom trawlers often roll like crazy but its a "smooth roll" haha. Models like mine that have a high flybridge and large vinyl enclosed sun deck have a lot of windage which can add to the excitement of docking when both wind and tide are moving the wrong way. Down East boats up in Maine (where the wind usually always blows and the sea is rarely calm) tend to be built with a lower profile pilot house style with less windage and a lower center of gravity.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #134
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The worst roll of all is in a wide and hard chine boat a-beam to a steep and short sea. Some call it a "snap roll". It's VERY annoying and even dangerous. Lots of fishermen are exposed to this while fishing. That's not why I rarely fish. Too much boating to be done.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #135
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The worst roll of all is in a wide and hard chine boat a-beam to a steep and short sea. Some call it a "snap roll". It's VERY annoying and even dangerous. Lots of fishermen are exposed to this while fishing. That's not why I rarely fish. Too much boating to be done.
Eric

It's not wise to run a-beam to any type of sea that is bothersome for any reason in any style boat. That's another reason mariners came up with the miraculous invention of tacking!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #136
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
That sums it up pretty well. My trawler has both hard chines and a good size keel both of which help to reduce roll. Round bottom trawlers often roll like crazy but its a "smooth roll" haha. Models like mine that have a high flybridge and large vinyl enclosed sun deck have a lot of windage which can add to the excitement of docking when both wind and tide are moving the wrong way. Down East boats up in Maine (where the wind usually always blows and the sea is rarely calm) tend to be built with a lower profile pilot house style with less windage and a lower center of gravity.
Aint no perfect boat but they all excel at one thing or another. A perfect boat would be like having a perfect wife, only exists in your dreams.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

While I have heard of such seas the only time I have seen them on the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico is in inlets where the outgoing tide stacks up the incoming sea. This can be very dangerous but only a foolish boater would be caught on the beam. I've heard that the Great Lakes often see this condition, but we usually have long swells (rarely calm seas in Maine) and even with relatively large swells we plow along with an easy motion. I am not a long range blue water boater and no boat rides comfortable in a big blow.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #138
FF
Guru

"The worst roll of all is in a wide and hard chine boat a-beam to a steep and short sea. Some call it a "snap roll". It's VERY annoying and even dangerous."

Nope,, the worst roll is in a catamaran with wider beam and higher flotation further outboard than even a chine boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #139
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Eric

It's not wise to run a-beam to any type of sea that is bothersome for any reason in any style boat. That's another reason mariners came up with the miraculous invention of tacking!
Well, not any style of boat. It's also why they invented paravanes and active stabilizers. I prefer a beam sea on my boat vs the alternatives (other than dead calm, that is).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"The worst roll of all is in a wide and hard chine boat a-beam to a steep and short sea. Some call it a "snap roll". It's VERY annoying and even dangerous."

Nope,, the worst roll is in a catamaran with wider beam and higher flotation further outboard than even a chine boat.

Never experienced a snap roll but I really like cinnabuns!

Tags
motion, rocking, roll, wake, wave