Old 09-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #81
Guru

They do instill a sense of confidence don't they. There has been numerous times we were the only people out or the reefs snorkeling and my wife (neophyte) didn't even think anything about heading out in 4'ers after the first couple of times. You could kick the nose up at around 12 kts and pretty much buzz along comfortably. She is prone to seasickness and snorkeling had more of an effect than the ride out in the 26.

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #82
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Marin, I'm wondering why you would carry 20 Gal. of water in the bow, is it a livewell?
My 1981 17' Whaler Montaukwith a 90 Yamaha has a rope locker there, but I use it as a bait livewell, it sloshes around and some splashes out if I get into any moderate chop.
Steve W

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: -
Our Arima has its freshwater tank up there.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #84
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I've had a a 40 hp o/b on 13'3" Whaler with fully enclosed dodger, side rails, and bow rail... currently restoring a good overall condition 1990 19' Malibu Skier 350/270 hp i/b, had Quicksilver inflatable w/8 hp Nissan, as well as several wooden dinks with 3 to 9.5 hp Johnsons (even had a gold colored 1.7 hp "Neptune Mighty-Mite" o/b as my first dink engine on a 6' 6" fg "Pixie" dink - purchased them in grade school with snow shoveling NY cash!).

Our current tow behind runabout is a cherry 1975 Crestliner Stinger 14' 8" four seater with same year 50 hp Johnson o/b. WOT with only me is slack tide gps 39 +/- knots. With Admiral aboard we cruise 25 to 27 knots using approx 1.25 gal per hour. We refer to it as our on-the-hook econo cruiser; in good water conditions she's dry, stable, comfortable, and easy as heck to tow and handle at docking. I bolted on a good looking white contoured nose fender... so when I dock the Tolly she can gently punch transom with no marks remaining! Her cushioned nose also worked well once for pushing a stalled cruiser to an end dock at our marina. Tolly's name is "The Office", runabout name is "The Water Cooler"... for sharing confidential stories! lol

Cheers! Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0441.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	13008   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0436.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	13009   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1954.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	13010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1955.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	13011   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1959.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	13012  

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #85
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
^^^^this is why I sold the 20 Center Console. It was miserable to own in the Keys. For a river or inland protected lake it would be great. The 26 Hardtop was NICE. Yes it would pound if you tried to run her hard above 2',
I knew the then president of Shamrock Steve Harris. Eric may have known Steve. He had been the marketing guy at Uniflite. So, I thought that the 26' CC with a cuddy looked like something to be interested in. We were at the Miami Boat Show, so he said he would let us take it out after the show. We were in a 1' steep chop on Biscayne Bay. Running at 18 to 22 knots the boat would jar your teeth out. I think that the chop hit the hull just as it warped from a sharp entry to a flat section running aft beside the keel. This created a most uncomfortable pounding effect.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #86
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Re the Shamrock,
How could anything so slippery looking be so slow? Guessed that one wrong. Are they heavy? I asked if you'd seen one go 40 to find out if they could and if you'd say something about the bow running high. You didn't so sounds like the rocker I suspected was in the bottom wasn't/isn't there. With that greased plate bottom and tiny rudder directional control was surely lacking.
Twisted wrote:
"when ran in its happy spot (16-17 kts) on calm water it would jump from 8.5 GPH to around 11.5 in a chop." In the chop it's bow or at least it's fwd section probably got into the act w wetted surface and boosted drag way up. I'll bet you could feel the deceleration every time the boat came down on the water. Beautiful boat though.

Don't remember Steve Don but it was a long time ago. My Easy Rider was the chase boat for testing the Uniflite Mega and maybe he would remember the Easy Rider. Not many would forget the Easy.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #87
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Re the Shamrock,
How could anything so slippery looking be so slow? Guessed that one wrong. Are they heavy? I asked if you'd seen one go 40 to find out if they could and if you'd say something about the bow running high. You didn't so sounds like the rocker I suspected was in the bottom wasn't/isn't there. With that greased plate bottom and tiny rudder directional control was surely lacking.
Twisted wrote:
"when ran in its happy spot (16-17 kts) on calm water it would jump from 8.5 GPH to around 11.5 in a chop." In the chop it's bow or at least it's fwd section probably got into the act w wetted surface and boosted drag way up. I'll bet you could feel the deceleration every time the boat came down on the water. Beautiful boat though.

Don't remember Steve Don but it was a long time ago. My Easy Rider was the chase boat for testing the Uniflite Mega and maybe he would remember the Easy Rider. Not many would forget the Easy.
Goes to show you that you can't look at a hull and determine much beyond the basics.

There is rocker...just the typical of your NE lobster type hull...

She flattens out pretty rapidly without enough keel under it to dampen the pounding. The CC models ride nicer because where you stand...the commercial pilothouse model will crush all your vertebrae in a season.

As I said...can do a lot but nothing well.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #88
Guru

They are a pretty flat bottom for the aft 2/3 or so. They were designed and built right here in Cape Coral by a guy named George Boynton. They were designed for this area, sand bars, oyster reefs, murky water where you can't tell the shallows by color change. If you keep them under 20 kts (not really ideal for a tow boat to have fast response time) and tab down the bow will cut a chop pretty nicely but she's gonna throw it up not down. Every owner's main complaint about them is the lack of spray rails.
They aren't necessarily heavy unless the foam (floors are foam filled) gets soaked. Their engines are center and low. They even put 4BT cummins in some of the 26s and 80 hp perkins in some of the 20s. Kind of like a full displacement hull in the aspect of they have a speed where every thing "clicks". You can press it faster but consumption and comfort pay the penalty. If you have a long run to your preferred fishing grounds you may be disappointed in the ride at speed and the lack of speed when compared to a similarly sized boat with a pair of outboards. But when it comes time to replace those outboards that slow plodding automotive engined rig starts to look good.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #89
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The most seaworthy "smaller" craft being built today are FPBs, particularly those designed for the North Sea. I doubt you could call them FD vessels. The videos on you tube etc are amazing, some of which have been posted on this site.

The FPBs are the root of Dashew's purpose built vessels, by far the penultimate for serious blue water MV cruisers given their speed, range and seakeeping. Yes, I know they are unpainted AL, devoid of frills and only for the 1%ers, but Dashews vessels have set the bar much higher. The rub against FD Nordhavns, KKs and their ilk are they are slow, Dashew's are fast with exemplary sea keeping ability and astounding fuel economy.

If you have not read Dashew's website, you may want to Google Setsail to get a feel for one of this industry's pioneers and a great writer to boot. His voluminous books have largely replaced Chapman for the serious cruiser, whether sail or power.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #90
Veteran Member

City: Valencia
Vessel Name: Song of Summer
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
Hi Larry, new to this forum.
I am very interested in paravanes, how to get, or build them, install and use. So I am very interested in your experience.
I have a GB42 Classic and sail at about 8,5 - 9 knots for 9 houras as an ave.
I am having also mooring stabilizers which work great.
Thanks
alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #91
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Send me a persaon massage with your email and I will send you some basic information.

Many commercial fishing trawler have them, so it you are near a commercial dock take a walk.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #92
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

During WWII, many a troop got sick by the normal 30 degree (or more!) roll of the round bottom troop carriers.
Very few (if any) WWII troopships had round bottoms. They were as flat as could be made inboard the turn of the bilge.

Only the forebody and afterbody had any of the compound curves that casual observers believe carry the full length.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Gosh, next thing you know Eric will be saying that I don't have a trawler!!

Yes, trawler style boats as any unstabilized boat will roll at displacement speeds or at rest. Dynamic stability is a very real thing. If you don't believe it, come ride with me at planing speeds. Then slow down to displacement speeds. My deep V in a beam sea will roll like a round bottomed boat.

You will get used to the characteristics of your boat, and drive it for the best comfort in different situations. Just don't tempt fate. Be reasonable and take precautions.
Don
having had you pass me on the ICW I say although your boat looks like a trawler it certainly does not run like a trawler
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #94
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
alberto,
Keep in mind that the relatively flat bottomed GB won't respond well to stabilizers as the hull is very stiff. Also very high loads will be imparted to the masts and rigging.

Round bottomed boats like this are ideal for stabilizers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0151 copy.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	14146  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #95
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto View Post
I am very interested in paravanes, how to get, or build them, install and use. So I am very interested in your experience.
Thanks

Alberto--- There are a lot of GBs in the Pacific Northwest and of all the ones I have seen I can recall only one that had passive stabilizers (paravanes, birds, etc) and the owner never used them. Their installation required extensive reworking of the mast and stay system to take the load and the then-current owner of the boat said he never bothered with them because they didn't make much difference. The GB's semi-planing, hard-chine hull has a fairly short roll with a fast "snap back" at the end of it. Apparently passive stabilizers don't do much to reduce this.

Active stabilizers (Naiad, etc) are not uncommon on the larger GBs (46', 49', 52') and are quite effective but they are rare on a GB42 because of the space in the engine room that they require.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Many Thanks,
By the way I am using for two seasons the Magma ss stabilizers for mooring and they are really good, just in case you are interested I can explain how I did my installation.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #97
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto View Post
Thanks
The best place to get the feel for Paravanes is the commercial fishing fleets. I would walk the docks to get an idea of fabrication. Very simple design and concept.

SD
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I would like to have details and pictures if possible of your paravanes...
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #99
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsail View Post
Hi everyone - new to the board and thinking seriously about getting a CHB 34 trawler or something similar. Wanted to know if any of you ever have an issue with rolling side to side while underway or at anchor. Thanks
on a trawler the gentle rocking is there mostly 24/7 not just on friday night like on land
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #100
Guru

fullsail
Nothing to be overly concerned about Even in bigger water you learn how to drive to minimise the roll. Tacking into waves works well These are stable and sea worth boats that can take way more then you can

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motion, rocking, roll, wake, wave