Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #21
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Mine doesn't drip often or much when it does we like burgers but seldom do them on the boat, I guess they and sausage are the messiest. I do have a pad of that ridged thin rubber which rolls up it is about 3"x 3" I sometimes put it under the grill or when doing any messy job anywhere on the boat.
Speaking of grills I like the round kettle Magma, a paella pan fits fine and I like to cook in a Wok often, I take off the cooking grill and put a "fire ring" into the kettle around the burner the wok fits right in and heats up fast.
I made folding windscreen out of light plywood it keeps the grill from blowing out in a breeze. We have the stand too, in case we want to bring it ashore.

When we don't use the boat for a good while I take the grill off wasps seem to love to make nests in them. Be careful.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Bay Pelican doesn't have an aft rail so we had a small U shaped mounting bracket fabricated. The Magma grill attaches to the bracket which is screwed into the cap rail. The Magma has a drip pan. Several photos of the rectangular Magma have been posted.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #23
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
We have a Magma Kettle grill pole mounted over the swim platform. I rotate it over the side as much as possible. It makes a mess cooking burgers. Grease splatter hits the deck and swim platform. It has a catch tray with no way to drain it except tilting it into the water. If you do dump it by tilting, the wind better be blowing away from the boat. We don't need the larger models but they may be cleaner.
We have one of these but only use it to cook steaks when we have them. So far no issues at all. I distrust the peizo ignition on all grills so we ALWAYS use a long tip lighter.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #24

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
We have the Magma kettle grill and cook lots of burgers on it. I have it mounted to a SS rail on the bow and over the water. I keep it slightly tilted back so any drips go out the back and into the water. Works great for us.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468512186.882470.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	54211Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468512219.447716.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	54212
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I think we had one but Chris and/or Sara dropped the grill grate overboard.
We just do our cooking on the propane stove in the salon. Chris makes good use of pan lids and the SS surfaces on the Force 10 three burner stove on top or in the oven. Right above the stove there is an open window that helps w cooking oders. She was very interested in getting the oven and I can now see why.

We only cook for ourselves and don't feel the need for the grill. Now that we are not in Alaska cooking in the cabin may be too hot when it's 85 degrees. That's about the only reason I can see to get an outside grill. I will ask our close by friends about the grill.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #26
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We have a dickenson seabbq mounted to the rail. Like other have noted, it has a drip pan that catches anything that drips through the grates. When we cook steaks, chicken breasts, fish, anything without a lot of fat, no problem. When we cook wings, fatty burger or sausage, we can get splatters on the deck, but that would happen with any grill. I've not used any sort of mat, but may think about it given others' comments. We treat the deck with Woodywax, so it usually cleans up fairly easily the next time we wash the boat.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #27

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I think we had one but Chris and/or Sara dropped the grill grate overboard.
We just do our cooking on the propane stove in the salon. Chris makes good use of pan lids and the SS surfaces on the Force 10 three burner stove on top or in the oven. Right above the stove there is an open window that helps w cooking oders. She was very interested in getting the oven and I can now see why.

We only cook for ourselves and don't feel the need for the grill. Now that we are not in Alaska cooking in the cabin may be too hot when it's 85 degrees. That's about the only reason I can see to get an outside grill. I will ask our close by friends about the grill.
Yes, it's way too hot here to cook inside. My poor AC's can't keep the boat cool enough as it is.
So it's either grill or eat stuff that doesn't require cooking.

We have a big grill at the marina so we use that and thus haven't had any need to use our little one on the boat.

We haven't taken the boat out overnight yet but are going to try to spend the night anchored out Saturday night if the finicky genny will cooperate. That will be our first need to use it.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #28
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
We had a charcoal Magma on our Morgan 27 sailboat. I mounted it on the pushpit so that any drips, or worse, ended up overside.

We had a propane Magma on our LeComte Northeast 38. I mounted it on the stern pulpit so that any drips, or worse, ended up overside. After loosing the ell and valve I wired the replacement part to the support arm so that it could not be lost. I also wired the grille to the support arm. 1/16" SS cable and Nicropress = easy. It eventually corroded to uselessness so we replaced it with:

We bought a propane Magma rectangular larger grille from West Marine. Mounted on the stern pulpit so that...you know the drill. It had a drippings pan which did not have a very large capacity, but no problem. Buy our LeComte, you'll get the grille!

We bought a Cusinart "portable" propane grille for Revel. Portable means that the lid latches and it has little folding legs and a handle. Of course, if you tipped it up to fold it, the drip pan would pour all over. I have not arranged an over-side mount. It can't function as intended aft since it would be over the swim platform and/or the dinghy. Mounting on one side or the other means making the thing readily removable since docking would be a larger chore. Sorta' defeats the purpose of a permanent overside mount! Still mulling. 'Til then, it sits on a folding table and has not soiled the Teak.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #29

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Magma rectangular on stern but mounted in a angled rod holder. Any drippings not caught by tray is outside of boat. Works well for us. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468541366.673623.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	54221
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Our Magma stainless kettle grill made so much mess down the side from its upper deck railing location on our Selene that we stopped using it. Would look for one that collects the fat rather than letting it drip out of the bottom. Be careful of flare-ups if the fat container gets full and overheated!! I think the best approach if possible is a deck mounted unit with adequate heat resistant material beneath and far enough away from flammables..
I've been reading the replies and wondering what people cook on their grills... We've used a Magma most recently and we always have some grease leaking. It is not the biggest deal to clean up but it is certainly part of every grill we have owned other than our Big Green Egg and that would require a much larger boat than we can afford!

To answer the question, yes, they make a mess but the end result is so worth the clean up!

Bruce
Old 07-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
We need a like button!
Or...you could just hit the Thanks button - means same thing.

Also, you could consider one of these. They are so well insulated/protected no fat drips or spits escape, and it can be sat on your regular cockpit table. You can leave throwing out the bit of ash etc until that cruise is over as well.

Home - Cobb International
Old 07-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #32
Guru

City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
I like the Weber Q's they have the best flame control and the thermometer in the hood really helps with the cooking. I did a pork tenderloin for supper and it came out delicious. I don't use the small screw on propane bottles, Weber sells a hose adapter for using a twenty pound tank so no worrying of running out of gas during the cooking. The Weber has a disposable drip pan under the grill.
You might notice my wind deflector, 98 cent cookie sheet from Walmart !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	54222  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #33
Guru

Better photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	54226  
Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #34
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
We have the round Magma one. It doesn't seem to drip any grease at this point. My only advice is cover it if you are leaving it set up outdoors or stow it once you are done with it. We did accidentally leave it out once and it got rained on, uncovered, and THAT did make a mess of the side of the boat. Covering with a waterproof cover is key. Also protects the grill.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I've been reading the replies and wondering what people cook on their grills... We've used a Magma most recently and we always have some grease leaking. It is not the biggest deal to clean up but it is certainly part of every grill we have owned other than our Big Green Egg and that would require a much larger boat than we can afford!

To answer the question, yes, they make a mess but the end result is so worth the clean up!

Bruce
I have a BGE Minimax aboard. Works great. Not much bigger than others mentioned here, you just can't rail mount it.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I like the Weber Q's they have the best flame control and the thermometer in the hood really helps with the cooking. I did a pork tenderloin for supper and it came out delicious. I don't use the small screw on propane bottles, Weber sells a hose adapter for using a twenty pound tank so no worrying of running out of gas during the cooking. The Weber has a disposable drip pan under the grill.
You might notice my wind deflector, 98 cent cookie sheet from Walmart !
That's what I had on my last boat. I use a Big Green Egg now but if I wanted propane that's what I would have gotten again. That's an awesome grill and performs way better than the Magmas I've had in the past.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
I have a BGE Minimax aboard. Works great. Not much bigger than others mentioned here, you just can't rail mount it.
You are my hero! We have a large BGE at home and we use a MiniMax when dragging our tiny 16' Airstream Bambi around but can't imagine it on the boat...
Party at your boat!!!
Bruce
Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #38
Guru

Captain Paul, I agree, the Weber Q's are also the grill of choice for RV'ers. The Weber's flame and heat control is the best and makes it my choice.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #39
Guru

We have a Magma Newport with the infra red plates and it is a decent little grill.
I was skeptical at first but after 3 years the only failure was the igniter. It is certainly not in the same league as the Big Green Egg but we have roasted small chickens, done steaks, cooked a ton of seafood and vegetables. The entire series has been redesigned this year and they look nice. I'm sure we will add one to the tug next year when we take delivery...maybe one of the larger models though.
Bruce
Old 07-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #40
Guru

City: AR
Unless you drop something, there shouldn't be ANY mess on the deck from a grill because grills should be mounted to entirely overhang the water in case of flare ups or some fool making a huge wake where he shouldn't rocking the boat enough to slide food off it.

I've never like the Magma kettles for a bunch of reasons. My last one was a cast aluminum (try to find one of those any more!) table-top grill. Removed the stand and bent two pieces of 1" pipe to make a pair of fore-aft legs attached with bolts (also had to drill 4 holes in the bottom of the grill). Put two 1" flagpole mounts in transom gunwhale for the front legs to sit in...and voila! An 8 x 14 rectangular grill with a hinged lid that completely overhung the water and best of all, replacement parts from the hardware store fit it!

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote