Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bigfish's Avatar
 
City: Salem, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: My Lady
Vessel Model: Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 193
Do I Need It Now???

Ok.. I bought My Lady 5 years ago, sandblasted the bottom, barrier coat and paint. Hard times 3 years ago limited funds. Boat needs bottom paint. I have an opportunity to take her to the Bahamas in two weeks for a month. Yard wants $4000 for paint job. Why would I be sorry if I just had it cleaned and then painted when I get back?? For that matter why do I need to keep paint on it at all? Just clean it regularly...
Thanks for your input.. Bob in Boot Key Harbor
__________________
Advertisement

Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
Ok.. I bought My Lady 5 years ago, sandblasted the bottom, barrier coat and paint. Hard times 3 years ago limited funds. Boat needs bottom paint. I have an opportunity to take her to the Bahamas in two weeks for a month. Yard wants $4000 for paint job. Why would I be sorry if I just had it cleaned and then painted when I get back?? For that matter why do I need to keep paint on it at all? Just clean it regularly...
Thanks for your input.. Bob in Boot Key Harbor
"Why would I be sorry if I just had it cleaned and then painted when I get back?? "
Depending upon how depleted the paint is now a lot of growth can occur in more than a month impeding speed, efficiency and sometimes blocking water intakes.

"For that matter why do I need to keep paint on it at all? Just clean it regularly... "
Again dependent upon just how poor the paint is and where the boat is typically berthed you could clean it regularly. In many cases the number of cleanings needed , amount of time to do each cleaning and the damage that the numerous eventual cleanings exert on the hull will cost more that the paint. where you are in this cycle cannot likely be determined on the internet.
__________________

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,170
If you pay for a haul and block for a couple of days, they should include a powerwash in the slings at the haul. You shouldn't need to sandblast or barrier coat. Get down to clean paint and slap a new coat on. Unless health and mobility is an issue, you should be able to do this yourself for the cost of rollers, brushes, and paint.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,983
My experience in Miami was that with a top of the line dual biocide paint and Prop Speed I could go a year without cleaning. I could get a second year with cleaning about six times during that year. Your mileage may vary.

I had a diver who kept an eye on my boat. When it needed cleaning, he just did it and sent me a bill.
__________________
Parks Masterson
www.hopkins-carter.com
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
If you pay for a haul and block for a couple of days, they should include a powerwash in the slings at the haul. You shouldn't need to sandblast or barrier coat. Get down to clean paint and slap a new coat on. Unless health and mobility is an issue, you should be able to do this yourself for the cost of rollers, brushes, and paint.
Hello Shrew - can he paint his own boat where he is located? Not sure about that area, around here most places will not let you pant your own boat as it is a pesticide in the eyes of the local towns.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bigfish's Avatar
 
City: Salem, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: My Lady
Vessel Model: Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
My experience in Miami was that with a top of the line dual biocide paint and Prop Speed I could go a year without cleaning. I could get a second year with cleaning about six times during that year. Your mileage may vary.

I had a diver who kept an eye on my boat. When it needed cleaning, he just did it and sent me a bill.
Thanks hop..
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bigfish's Avatar
 
City: Salem, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: My Lady
Vessel Model: Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
If you pay for a haul and block for a couple of days, they should include a powerwash in the slings at the haul. You shouldn't need to sandblast or barrier coat. Get down to clean paint and slap a new coat on. Unless health and mobility is an issue, you should be able to do this yourself for the cost of rollers, brushes, and paint.
Thanks! Think I'll go for haul and block, assess things and go from there. I need to remove whats left of my swimstep from Irma, plus put in a new transducer.
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Country: New England
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 422
You might be able to get a paint job at a more reasonable price in the Bahamas while you are there. Maybe someone here can recommend?
Easting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 18,004
Donna just got painted over there, wait to see if she comments or PM her.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,088
Don't know when the bottom was cleaned (diver scrubbed) last. I would see if you could get it cleaned just before you go. Might also check to see what services are available where you will be in the Bahamas.

If funds are limited, I would want to have the reserves available until you get back. I'm personally very big on preventive maintenance, but don't like to get jammed up just before a big trip. Clean the bottom (diver), check zincs (replace if close), and schedule bottom work as needed when you return.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bigfish's Avatar
 
City: Salem, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: My Lady
Vessel Model: Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Hello Shrew - can he paint his own boat where he is located? Not sure about that area, around here most places will not let you pant your own boat as it is a pesticide in the eyes of the local towns.
They won't let me paint it here in Marathon..
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bigfish's Avatar
 
City: Salem, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: My Lady
Vessel Model: Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
You might be able to get a paint job at a more reasonable price in the Bahamas while you are there. Maybe someone here can recommend?
I though about that.. Probably heading to the Exumas...
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bigfish's Avatar
 
City: Salem, Oregon
Country: USA
Vessel Name: My Lady
Vessel Model: Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 193
That's my plan. I had it cleaned a month ago and zincs were all up to snuff..
__________________

Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012