Do deals like this happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barpilot

Veteran Member
We currently have our sailboat for sale. We have found a Tollycraft that we are really interested in but can't buy until our boat sells.
Here is the situation. Our boat is listed for $30K more than the Tolly. Lets assume that neither of us will get what we are listed at. Both boats are listed with different brokers (ours is an open listing that can be cancelled at any time). Is there a possibility of working a trade where we trade boats and we come away with cash plus the Tolly? I know people trade up, but, how about trading down? We don't want to embararrass ourselves by suggesting such an idea to a broker and looking like idiots.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Why would you look like idiots? You have a commodity you want another commodity and are proposing an alternative possibility for both you and the seller of the Tolly. All anyone can say is no. How about an even swap?

Well, I don't think you can ever lose by making a suggestion. The worst thing that happens is nothing happens.

I may be reading your scenario incorrectly, but what you'r'e suggesting is that the Tollycraft owner takes your sailboat plus gives you $30,000 (more or less) and you take the Tollycraft. Is this based on the fellow with the Tollycraft actually wanting your sailboat because he wants it to use, or that he takes your sailboat and then sells it for (hopefully) more than he gave you for taking the Tollycraft?

At face value I don't see an upside for the fellow selling the Tollycraft (unless he wants your sailboat). He's still in a position of having to sell a boat, but now he has to sell a more expensive boat and he's also had to cough up $30,000 for the privilege. I understand the theory and the math but I'm wondering why the Tollycraft owner would want to do this?

The seller's broker is also a dealer. My thought was to get the dealer involved. He gets a commission on the sale of the Tolly, takes my boat in trade and then sells it at a profit that is in excess of what he gave me in cash. I'm not expecting to get away whole here. Just don't want to give up the farm in the process. In actuality, our current boat is listed at a very fair price considering it's age, condition and options. That being said, either boat is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them and not a cent more. I think the seller of the Tolly is getting out of boating and wouldn't be interested in being involved with our boat.

I don't know if you can work that deal, the broker would have to have somebody in line to buy the sailboat....BUT....check this out....this is listed in Texas by a member of this forum.
1986 Present 38 Nautique Trawler Yacht for sale Houston

And to the moderators, I hope I haven't broken any rules.

Trying to work a trade severely reduces the number of possible transactions. Not only do you need to find someone with the boat you want, that wants to sell it, and at a price you accept, but now you narrow it futher by requiring that those same people want the boat you have.

These situations are what that tool called "money" is for...

IMO, the only way could work is the dealer has someone in mind. It worked out for me because the dealer knew a guy that was looking for a sailboat. By taking a trade in, he made a commission on the boat I bought plus he made a profit on my trade in. Plus, I saved on sales tax! Can you say win - win? I agree with the other post, get the dealer involved, they are professionals and know what can and can't be done.

Years ago we made a mistake and bought a new sailboat that didn't work for us. The local Tartan dealer had a demo Tartan 3700 which would have fit us very well. My boat was clearly worth more than the Tartan. So I asked him if he wanted to swap plus cash to me.

He said paying cash was a non starter for him. So it didn't work. I suspect that will be your problem as well.

David

As 'Ski in NC' says, the chances of a mutually beneficial swap+$ to happen means having the planets align on several fronts. HAving said that, my dad just happily and successfully upgraded from a 20' plate alloy half-cabin to a 28' glass sedan cruiser. Both he and the PO of the 28' just happened to meet at a fishing club and both were in the market for the same boats each other had.

It can happen. I just wouldn't bank on it happening.

The problem with trades is every seller thinks their boat is worth more than every buyer does

That only is a problem up to the point where the seller's wife learned they'd received an offer on the boat. THAT is the point where the offer becomes an accepted offer.

That only is a problem up to the point where the seller's wife learned they'd received an offer on the boat. THAT is the point where the offer becomes an accepted offer.

It worked the opposite way when we first put our old wood boat up for sale. Received an offer that I would have accepted, but my wife was not ready to let the boat go and told me the only thing she wanted for Xmas was to take the boat off the market. Took it off the market.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom