Do any "trawlers" do this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

Probably wrong forum, but will give it a try. Son-in-law looking for a boat that can be used to fish and also drag for shrimp with a kangaroo rig added to the boat. Must be trailerable, will accept 10 foot beam or less, and length up to 30 feet. Diesel, straight inboard, preferable Cummins, cruise at least 14-15 knots. V bunks, a head, and the helm in a cabin. $30,000 budget. If seas more than 2 feet we don't fish which makes the hull not as critical for us, but do need stability at anchor, since we fish at anchor. No rocking boat when we step down on it from the dock.

Thus far Delta 28s, Sport-Craft 27 or 272 are the type of boats we have found, but the inboard Diesel is a challenge in these boats and the $30,000 budget doesn't do much for us in considering diesel power. The Delta was riding 2 inch high above the water line so was light. It rocked. Haven't found a Sport-Craft in the water to test.

Looking for any other "name" boat that might work? Don't know if any trawlers might fit--15 knots might be a problem. Thanks for your consideration.

Also try Lafitte skiffs for sale. This is a popular Gulf Coast commercial boat mostly used for shrimping but I have friends that have rigged them for multi purpose as you are describing. They are hard chined, usually inboard diesel and with a small sleeper cabin/head/helm when in the 30ft range. In seas 2ft or less it will be fine but in sloppier conditions you will want to return to port.

If I sought such a craft, I would go to Riverland Marina in Ft. Pierce, then if I couldn't find a suitable craft, I would drive to the Miami River and find it. There used to be many individuals doing commercial fishing from small boats, servicing the fish houses and one would see many craft tied up along the river and behind houses on the creeks that feed into the river. Then if all else failed, just drive around Hialeah where it seems every house has a boat sitting on a trailer. Those Cubans can make or, fix anything and they like to fish.
I'm sure I would find dozens of such craft ready to go, and make many new allies at the same time.
Helpful hint for Miami: first stop at a gas, station, buy a large cup of Cafe Cubano, take a handful of the tiny cups, and everywhere you go you offer the guys a cafecito. Even if they don't speak english, they will understand and accept. That's the protocol.

Last edited:
Interesting set of requirements. The toughest is the diesel requirement.
For a gas boat that you'd have many to choose from. maybe buy gas and repower?

will this be a commercial rig?

I think an Albin 28TE would fit everything but budget...they are in the 50's not 30's

Take a look at the 25' Atlas Acadia listed on Yachtworld for $32,000, located in Rock Hall, Md. That boat will meet most of your criteria but will not go 15 kts, but maybe 12 kts cruising.

The one in Florida listed for $37,900 will probably go that fast with its 170 hp Yanmar. Don't believe the 2 gph at 16 kts quoted. Total BS.

They have a small galley, head and v-berth below and are reasonably comfortable to stay on overnight. The weight and 8.5' beam makes it definitely trailerable.

David

Last edited:
I'm still stuck at the don't go out if more than 2'. Where are you that you commonly find seas 2' or less? What percentage of days actually meet that criteria? Are you fishing in a sound versus the ocean?

We are in the panhandle of Florida. Go out the pass at Pensacola into the Gulf. Deep water is quite close in that part of the Gulf and lots of fishing spots, all within 25 miles. Have fished there for the last 10 years with different boats. Also fish a lot in the bays leading out to the "pass". Keep boat on a bay at the house so easy to push off and go fishing.

Have a commercial lic. but will probably only pursue the shrimp catch for commercial sale.

Unfortunately the panhandle is a long way from the sites suggested around the Miami area. But appreciate all suggestions. Will add the boats mentioned that have a chance at meeting requirements to the search list. Don't think 170Hp is enough on a boat that otherwise meets our requirements, to get 15 knots cruise.
Thanks

A Lafitte skiff may indeed fill the bill. Most have a dead flat or very flat aft section but I have seen some with a shallow "V". Deadrise probably 6-8 deg. at most. I have fished from one with a shallow V a couple of times out of Venice (La) for tuna....about 20 mi run in seas 2ft or less. This boat was not rigged as a dedicated shrimper, as most are in my area, but one could easily have put on kangaroo poles/winch that would not interfere much with fishing. The boat I was on had a Cat 3208 N/A and it pushed it along on the plane at at least 16 knots....was probably more but no GPS...uh...I mean LORAN:) (1980's) on that boat to verify. You should find plenty to checkout within a 3 hr drive.

Research 26' Tollycraft (10' beam). Affordable, sturdy, trailer to your port. Yachtworld has two more pages than I link. You might locate one re-powered with diesel. Gas engine taint all that bad if you know how to care for it. Can last several thousand hours for good service. These little Tolly's are fast when powered, propped, and trimmed correctly.

Good Luck! - Art

tollycraft tollycraft (Power) Boats For Sale

I must comment - 2' seas max, please! We get that even in SF Delta's very protected waters during a good blow.

Last edited:
On the west coast there are a few commercial fish boats that might be found used in your price range. These are all trailerable and very capable rough water boats. Radon, Davis, and Farallon. These boats have been made for over 30 years and older boats may be in your price range. These boats are true work horses, They are available in all kinds of power combinations, all plane, all of them handle weight.

To be honest FP you described my boat with the exception being diesel power. Ditch my canvas then speed, cockpit, cabin and price are all in alignment. There was one available in Washington on a trailer same year as mine re powered with a fresh 454 v-8 that should comfortably cruise for hours at close to 30 knots.

I'd be more inclined to look for some of the boats Scary mentioned though first. Good luck in your search.

To be honest FP you described my boat with the exception being diesel power. Ditch my canvas then speed, cockpit, cabin and price are all in alignment. There was one available in Washington on a trailer same year as mine re powered with a fresh 454 v-8 that should comfortably cruise for hours at close to 30 knots.

I'd be more inclined to look for some of the boats Scary mentioned though first. Good luck in your search.

Must have big tank for a 454 to cruise hours at 30 knots! :whistling:

Appreciate the follow up. Tollycraft is interesting. Did, all, or most have the lower helm? Need lower helm. I note one said V drive. Were they all V drives?
Will look for Radon, Davis, and Farallon as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Parker and Mcknew indicated V drive or stern drive in the 26 sedan. Would that be correct. No straight drive. Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom