Old 09-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Disturbing report from New Bern, NC

Just got a message from the owners of Manatee 36, Swanee, who were told that their boat and many others are missing since Friday as the surge overwhelmed their marina on the Neuse River in New Bern. The dockmaster told them that the docks are gone and he doesn’t know where any of the boats are. The marina “had” floating docks.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Why don’t people move their boats to a safe location? With the amount of warning I would think a person could get 200 - 300 miles in any direction. I realize some people work or possibly live to far away. Would moving be possible or am I missing something? Being retired may give me a different perspective than some people.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Why don’t people move their boats to a safe location? With the amount of warning I would think a person could get 200 - 300 miles in any direction. I realize some people work or possibly live to far away. Would moving be possible or am I missing something? Being retired may give me a different perspective than some people.
In the case of New Bern, it's been a safe location in the past. By the time it became clear that the flooding and storm surge was going to be epic, it was too late to move. That's my take anyway.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I would have been too nervous to stay with the forecast winds, a long fetch, and a necked down waterway.

That was my concern about ECity if the path had been NW and tracked SW of there.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Sorry to hear that just when it was starting to look like NC had somehow dodged a bullet.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Sorry to hear that just when it was starting to look like NC had somehow dodged a bullet.
How's that? They've been taking an armory's worth of bullets since Wednesday afternoon. No newspapers or TV where you are?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
If you look at Bridgeton Boatworks Facebook page...they are out searching for boats they hauled that floated away. This was EPIC. Some of their boats floated off stands and across the river....and they are out looking for them!!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
In the weather channel I think in New Bern they showed a steel boat on the shore and a sail boat on the grass just before speaking of.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Miss Deb
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Speaking as someone who had a boat at BridgePointe Marina, one of the marinas heavily damaged during the storm, I will offer my perspective on your comment.

Your question about moving is valid. In the days prior to landfall running from the storm was a strategy that we considered. We are also retired and live aboard our boat full time. But, we travel at 7-9 knots and unfortunately the ultimate path of the storm stayed in flux until it was 2-3 days away. The storm models did not agree on the track so which way do you go? We were thinking north but there was no guarantee that the storm would not follow us and we could only get so far.

For someone with a faster boat moving may have been a realistic option; just not for us.

Ultimately we moved to a more protected marina, added additional lines/chafe gear and from the limited information that we have now the boat survived well.

The boatyards around New Bern have limited storage space for haul-outs and they quickly filled up. Some moved to more protected marinas or an anchorage. Others prepared to the best of their ability and hoped.

We've boated in eastern NC since the early 1990's and cannot remember a storm that did this much damage to boats & marinas on the sound (but we are getting older!).

Your question on moving was good but in this case I think the almost right angle of approach, the uncertainty of the track and the "stately" speed of most trawlers made that an uncertain option unless you were willing to commit 5-7 days prior to landfall.

Bring on the divergent opinions!

Gene
SlowsailNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #10

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Just now to confirm yeah New Bern.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_183035.jpeg
Views:	614
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	80930
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #11

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowsailNC View Post
Speaking as someone who had a boat at BridgePointe Marina, one of the marinas heavily damaged during the storm, I will offer my perspective on your comment.

Your question about moving is valid. In the days prior to landfall running from the storm was a strategy that we considered. We are also retired and live aboard our boat full time. But, we travel at 7-9 knots and unfortunately the ultimate path of the storm stayed in flux until it was 2-3 days away. The storm models did not agree on the track so which way do you go? We were thinking north but there was no guarantee that the storm would not follow us and we could only get so far.

For someone with a faster boat moving may have been a realistic option; just not for us.

Ultimately we moved to a more protected marina, added additional lines/chafe gear and from the limited information that we have now the boat survived well.

The boatyards around New Bern have limited storage space for haul-outs and they quickly filled up. Some moved to more protected marinas or an anchorage. Others prepared to the best of their ability and hoped.

We've boated in eastern NC since the early 1990's and cannot remember a storm that did this much damage to boats & marinas on the sound (but we are getting older!).

Your question on moving was good but in this case I think the almost right angle of approach, the uncertainty of the track and the "stately" speed of most trawlers made that an uncertain option unless you were willing to commit 5-7 days prior to landfall.

Gene
Gene, very well said! Not to mention the expense, risk to life and limb, capacity at XYZ Marina, and domestic and work obligations- especially with a pending crisis!

It so sad and we all grieve for the unfortunate.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #12

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Just got a message from the owners of Manatee 36, Swanee, who were told that their boat and many others are missing since Friday as the surge overwhelmed their marina on the Neuse River in New Bern. The dockmaster told them that the docks are gone and he doesn’t know where any of the boats are. The marina “had” floating docks.
Our sympathies to the owners of SWANEE. Hope they find her undamaged.

In North Myrtle Beach we did dodge the bullet, little or no damage in our marina.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
It is always a gamble.....do you haul out and risk floating off, or do you risk staying in slip and see what happens? At our marina we are a hurricane hole.....but this time....we got hammered. Skinny Dippin seems to be fine.....but other docks in our marina not so much. We were very lucky.

I think our friends in hurricane zones will agree....some you win, some you don’t. This time we have been lucky. Thank goodness.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #14

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Sorry to hear we’ve possibly lost another Manatee & we hope for the best.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
While Bridgeton was a floating facility there were clearly some other shortcomings to the design. It was mostly destroyed. The boats on land fared no better than those in the water. Meanwhile Grand Marina fared well.

While I'm sorry to see people lose their boats, far better than risking their lives.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Anyone know when the Dismal was officially closed?

That would have been my cue...if I could still have gotten through 2 -3 days out.

Once the forecast wasn't changing much, the Neuse and Pamlico looked like storm funnels to me.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #17
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
While Bridgeton was a floating facility there were clearly some other shortcomings to the design. It was mostly destroyed. The boats on land fared no better than those in the water. Meanwhile Grand Marina fared well.

While I'm sorry to see people lose their boats, far better than risking their lives.
You are confusing Bridgeton with Bridgepointe. Completely different places miles apart.

If you go back through my posts, discussing various spots around NB prior to the storm you will note I left Bridgeton Boatworks, the yard, off my list of possibilities; that was intentional. Bridgeton Harbor, the big marina over there by the railroad bridge across the Neuse, was in the realm of possibility but I don't know how that turned out; I suspect the outer slips didn't do well.

On a happier note (for us at least), I just got a full report from a neighbor and our house on the Trent miraculously has been unscathed. Water in the yard came up to a point that would indicate about a 15 foot or so flood. Didn't get to the house.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
You are confusing Bridgeton with Bridgepointe. Completely different places miles apart.

If you go back through my posts, discussing various spots around NB prior to the storm you will note I left Bridgeton Boatworks, the yard, off my list of possibilities; that was intentional. Bridgeton Harbor, the big marina over there by the railroad bridge across the Neuse, was in the realm of possibility but I don't know how that turned out; I suspect the outer slips didn't do well.

On a happier note (for us at least), I just got a full report from a neighbor and our house on the Trent miraculously has been unscathed. Water in the yard came up to a point that would indicate about a 15 foot or so flood. Didn't get to the house.
You are correct. Glad your house has been unscathed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #19
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowsailNC View Post

Gene

I’ve seen so much video and news about marinas and boats destroyed that I have figured it was better to run as far away as possible. The projections of possible tracks I saw on tv I would of probably went south. Even running at 6.5 to 7 mph my normal cruising speed 100+ miles a day is possible. How far would a boat have to go with 3 days head start? Even with insurance I would hate to see my boat damaged or destroyed, maybe it’s wishful thinking that I could out run it.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
I’ve seen so much video and news about marinas and boats destroyed that I have figured it was better to run as far away as possible. The projections of possible tracks I saw on tv I would of probably went south. Even running at 6.5 to 7 mph my normal cruising speed 100+ miles a day is possible. How far would a boat have to go with 3 days head start? Even with insurance I would hate to see my boat damaged or destroyed, maybe it’s wishful thinking that I could out run it.
RC
I may be off a bit, but I doubt most of the affected boats travel more than a few hundred miles per year. Probably not travel ready to quickly depart.

Slipping the lines and "going to sea" to outrun a hurricane could prove to be a daunting task for most of them. Especially when you're trying to secure your house and keep your family safe.

Boating in hurricane country carries a known risk. The most popular option is insure the boat and hope you don't get hit.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote