Old 11-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
This is disturbing! (new Cutwater boat)

I came across this blog from my C Brats forum. Read it in chronological order. It's not a long read.

Everyone's worst nightmare! It also highlights the relationships between some builders and customers. Lot's to digest here.

https://www.cutwater302.com/blog?fbc...EWSMe3TFg9RGYA

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
I came across this blog from my C Brats forum. Read it in chronological order. It's not a long read.

Everyone's worst nightmare! It also highlights the relationships between some builders and customers. Lot's to digest here.

https://www.cutwater302.com/blog?fbc...EWSMe3TFg9RGYA
Total nightmare, and my heart goes out to this family.

Perhaps I'm being unkind or unfair, but as we have seen a number of Cutwaters with the factory installed "anchor package" that includes a charm bracelet sized Claw that wouldn't hold the boat downwind from a seagull fart, we concluded that this might be a great boat, but it's target market are people who have no clue about boating. The fact that the factory produces, or at least in this case, produced a vessel that would sink at the dock is sadly unsurprising.

And who assumes you don't need insurance just because the boat is new? The rocks care?
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Some boats, if you turn the battery switches off, the pumps are off too. Wired that way intentionally so if you have a fuel leak into the bilge, you can stop the pumps from pumping the fuel overboard.

The owner/operator should know how the pumps operate. Especially if rolling with no insurance!

Poor design on routing the motor control cables so low without making the penetrations flood-proof. But not a unique situation. All boats can flood into the bilge if conditions get bad enough, this one just floods easier than most. It therefore counts on functional pumps. And it is not clear if the pumps were straight wired or went through the (off) batt switches.

Sad situation.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I am only seeing one side of this story. The fact that the customer had no insurance on a $300,000 boat makes me very suspicious of the whole story. I am not familiar with the Canadian dealer for cutwater. A new to boating friend of mine boat a Ranger tug from the Seattle dealer and I was very impressed with there customer service.

I am very confused about how he bought a boat at the Seattle Boat show from a Canadian dealer. Only the Seattle dealer is allowed to display at the Seattle boat show. I think there is a lot more to the story then we are hearing.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have salvaged brand new boats with factory defects, no surprise....

But who is liable?

A disconnected hose to a live bait well is an issue, but what owner turns it on and walks away without testing it?

I am anxious to know what caused this sinking... Till the cause is know, blame is rediculous.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I feel sorry for the owner but really having trouble with buying an almost $400,000 boat and taking it on a delivery run from Port Alberni to Alaska without any insurance.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I have salvaged brand new boats with factory defects, no surprise....

But who is liable?

A disconnected hose to a live bait well is an issue, but what owner turns it on and walks away without testing it?

I am anxious to know what caused this sinking... Till the cause is know, blame is rediculous.
The surveyor gives probable reasons for the capsize in his report, all of which would be considered factory defects. Page 14.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #8

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
it is a sad story. But sinking of smaller outboard or stern drive boats via stern flooding is not at all uncommon. But there is little excuse for a 30 footer to go down this way. Just shoddy building practices.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I am only seeing one side of this story. The fact that the customer had no insurance on a $300,000 boat makes me very suspicious of the whole story. I am not familiar with the Canadian dealer for cutwater. A new to boating friend of mine boat a Ranger tug from the Seattle dealer and I was very impressed with there customer service.

I am very confused about how he bought a boat at the Seattle Boat show from a Canadian dealer. Only the Seattle dealer is allowed to display at the Seattle boat show. I think there is a lot more to the story then we are hearing.
He lives in Canada, and lots of Canadians visit the Seattle boat show. I doubt the manufacturers haven't figured out some way to sell a boat to a Canadian at a USboat show.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Wow.. I met these folks at Ocean Falls this past summer when they were on their way north. Sorry to hear this.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
This will now be part of the boat's history, "sunk at the dock".

I am surprised the surveyor did not declare it a 'constructive loss.'
Old 11-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
He lives in Canada, and lots of Canadians visit the Seattle boat show. I doubt the manufacturers haven't figured out some way to sell a boat to a Canadian at a USboat show.
I don’t doubt that a Canadian dealer was freelancing at the Seattle Boat show. US dealers sell boats to Canadians all the time at the Seattle boat show. Canadian dealers are not allowed to display and sell if there is a Seattle dealer in the show. He uses the Seattle dealers slogan and claim of customer service to complain about the Canadian dealer. I just think here is a lot more to this story.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Strange set if circumstances...
Looks like the factory cobbled together a setup for the buyer that wasn't thought out to say the least.
Looks like the owner knew less about boats and couldnt see for himself it was a poor installation and likely to fail.. kind of relying on blind faith it appears.
Not carrying insurance on that kind of investment is just foolish.. Im thinking MUCH worse but am trying to be civil.. who spends that kind of money then cheeps out on insurance??? this seems very suspect.
If the owner had a lick of common sense and had insured the boat the insurance company would be going after the builder and the owner wouldn't be in this situation.
Obviously he paid for the boat in cash as no bank would have let him skate without insurance.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I don’t doubt that a Canadian dealer was freelancing at the Seattle Boat show. US dealers sell boats to Canadians all the time at the Seattle boat show. Canadian dealers are not allowed to display and sell if there is a Seattle dealer in the show. He uses the Seattle dealers slogan and claim of customer service to complain about the Canadian dealer. I just think here is a lot more to this story.
No doubt. The invoice is from the Canadian dealer, and the floor guy at the boat show probably got a 1% referral fee for his efforts. Perhaps that explains why the floor guy had little time for him, since he was talking to US clients that would generate a more substantial commission. Kind of irrelevant, though. Neither dealer is responsible for making sure that hatches or though hulls are appropriately fitted. They deal with fixing the defects when identified, and in this case, the defect apparently caused the boat to turn turtle at the dock. Since there was no insurance, it's hard to imagine this fellow scuttled his own boat, so I expect that if Cutwater values their brand, they'll find a way to take this vessel back, provide a replacement, refit the capsized boat and sell it to someone else at a bit of a discount.

If you read the surveyor's report, the "sponson" Cutwater attaches to the underside of their enormous swim platform is needed for buoyancy and physical support of two outboards hanging two feet from the transom. However, in manufacturing this, Cutwater leaves unsealed conduit penetrations between the hull and the sponson. Once the sponson fills up with water, and why wouldn't it in any kind of chop, if the bilge pump isn't working, water will flow from the pump outlet into the sponson and then into the hull. On the surface, however clueless the owner turns out to be, this appears to be a case of incredibly poor design. If an operating bilge pump in the sponson is currently critical for the survival of the vessel, the manufacturer should have come up with a sealed unit that doesn't require a fallible component.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The surveyor gives probable reasons for the capsize in his report, all of which would be considered factory defects. Page 14.
Not sure if some are defects or bad design...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
This looks like the same model Cutwater that was in the slip next to mine for the Summer. Two 300hp Yamaha outboards. I first met the owner when I noticed a lot of water coming out a thru hull. It had been raining and he came down to check on his new boat. He told me the water started coming out when he turned on the main battery switches. We pulled a couple floorboards and the bilge was full of water. The bilge pump ran for at least 20 minutes. I was surprised the pump wasn't wired directly to the batteries. Not long after that we headed North for 2 1/2 months. When we returned I noticed a burned smell, and found the Cutwater had suffered some kind of fire damage the week before. Our marina manager told me that another boater had noticed the bow thruster running and no one was on board. When they went to check, they found smoke coming out from the starboard side of the cockpit, where the batteries are located. They immediately started two hoses on it and called the fire department, who showed up in three minutes. They cut the main battery cables and got everything cooled down before a major fire could get started. They pulled out three batteries that were melted half way down. The cabin wiring was melted and there was major smoke damage inside. The boat was pulled out of the water and inspected by someone from Cutwater and an insurance investigator. I do not know the outcome of the investigation, but I think it's a total loss. The boat is still sitting on the trailer in our parking lot.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #17
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
I feel sorry for the owner but really having trouble with buying an almost $400,000 boat and taking it on a delivery run from Port Alberni to Alaska without any insurance.
Not onboard with the no insurance thing (what about liability?), but if the buyer was not an experienced boater, why wouldn’t they think it was ok to go to Alaska on a maiden voyage. Lots of people buy $500k motor homes and head off cross-country the next day, buy $80k trucks and set off on 1000mi trips. And why shouldn’t a $400k boat be just as reliable from the get-go?

Basically, the builder is selling a shoddy product and then doing their best not to take responsibility. The nationality of the selling dealer is completely irrelevant as is the builders and the buyers: the product, the boat, was not “fit for purpose “ and should never have been sold with such a fundamental defect.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #18
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
This looks like the same model Cutwater that was in the slip next to mine for the Summer. Two 300hp Yamaha outboards. I first met the owner when I noticed a lot of water coming out a thru hull. It had been raining and he came down to check on his new boat. He told me the water started coming out when he turned on the main battery switches. We pulled a couple floorboards and the bilge was full of water. The bilge pump ran for at least 20 minutes. I was surprised the pump wasn't wired directly to the batteries. Not long after that we headed North for 2 1/2 months. When we returned I noticed a burned smell, and found the Cutwater had suffered some kind of fire damage the week before. Our marina manager told me that another boater had noticed the bow thruster running and no one was on board. When they went to check, they found smoke coming out from the starboard side of the cockpit, where the batteries are located. They immediately started two hoses on it and called the fire department, who showed up in three minutes. They cut the main battery cables and got everything cooled down before a major fire could get started. They pulled out three batteries that were melted half way down. The cabin wiring was melted and there was major smoke damage inside. The boat was pulled out of the water and inspected by someone from Cutwater and an insurance investigator. I do not know the outcome of the investigation, but I think it's a total loss. The boat is still sitting on the trailer in our parking lot.
See bold above.

With pumps wired through batt switches, sounds like operator error to leave boat unattended with batts off. Pumps now inop.

It can be argued whether it is a good idea to have pumps through batt switches, but it is incumbent on the operator to know his system.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not sure if some are defects or bad design...
Surveyor identified some potential issues and correctly proposed some additional power on tests to narrow things down. A mechanical engineer or marine architect would then be required to analyze the design to see if it meets appropriate standards. It then becomes a battle between the expert witnesses.

If the bilge pumps were not hard wired to the battery then the owners manual may have had specific instructions on operation. Surveyor did not reference manual. If owner did not follow manual then he would be SOL.

ABYC standards do not mandate hard wired pumps. I believe most installations have an auto switch with a manual override. Surveyor did not mention position of switch. Also note that ABYC only addresses pumps used for normal spray, rainwater and spillage. It does not set standards for damage control pumps.

Cutwater claims their boats are certified to NMMA (ABYC) standards. Their literature states the 302 is supplied with 2 12V auto bilge pumps. I suspect they would argue that it was not forseeable that an owner would dock stern to large waves and the installed bilge pumps were not designed to deal with a swamping condition.

Owner is fighting an uphill battle.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
How could it “not be foreseeable” that waves might come from the stern quarter? Is it also unforeseeable that the wind might shift direction too? Again: the product, as sold, was not fit for purpose. It could not be used as a boat as delivered and when it was, it sank at the dock. The abysmal build quality and horrendous customer service is another matter altogether.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote