Displacement vs. Semi Displacement, Plaining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't need a lot of people space like most are set up for (salon and fly bridge) I want space for toys and the aft cockpit. Looks like sacrifices.....

Maybe remove some of the aft bridge seating, re-purpose the space to your requirements?

I'd guess maybe not difficult to mount some chocks for kayaks on a foredeck, depending on boat (foredeck) length and kayak length. St. Croix (for example) makes a semi-portable winch thing that could be used to hoist a kayak up to a foredeck, depending on kayak weight...

Just brain-storming...

-Chris

Maybe remove some of the aft bridge seating, re-purpose the space to your requirements?

I'd guess maybe not difficult to mount some chocks for kayaks on a foredeck, depending on boat (foredeck) length and kayak length. St. Croix (for example) makes a semi-portable winch thing that could be used to hoist a kayak up to a foredeck, depending on kayak weight...

Just brain-storming...

-Chris

Chris,

Good idea, and have thought of that. The kayak is a Hobie Tandem Oasis, 14 ft and 90 lbs, a bit heavy and long as kayaks go. Makes a great exercise machine for both arms and legs and would be nice to have it along.

Of the cruisers I've looked at, none would have the room on the extended fly bridge without fairly major mods.... which "may" be doable. However, I need to think a bit about resale, as for now the goal is to keep it for perhaps 3 or 4 years. Will keep my smaller boat which is way easier for cruising the inter coastal for what we do now.

If you've (eventually) got the beam for it, and if the bridge seating is surrounded by (a useful kind of) stainless rails... another way would maybe hang the thing athwartships, over the cockpit, maybe using the same mounting brackets folks sometimes use to hang kayaks along bow rails. Could look a little goofy, though... :) OTOH, it might offer a little more cockpit protection from rain. :)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom