Dismal news!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well....the speed limit us like 5 mph...and going any faster just results in waiting for a bridge and lock.............

It might be 6 but that's not a big difference. We have never hit anything in our three times transiting the canal.

The Virginia Cut has some unprotected water and additional drawbridges that are not "on demand". Elizabeth City is a nicer stop than Coinjock (I think) and it's free.

Elizabeth City is a nicer stop than Coinjock (I think) and it's free.

Think we can all agree the restaurants are definitely better in Elizabeth City.

Ted

Think we can all agree the restaurants are definitely better in Elizabeth City.

Ted

That I would agree with, but I've known people who thought eating in Coinjock was the most wonderful place ever. In our opinion, only if you prefer quantity over quality.

Happy my boat can do 3.5 knots at idle. That's at 750 RPM, 1/3rd engine speed, or about one-half maximum speed through water :)

Greetings,
"That I would agree with, but I've known people who thought eating in Coinjock was the most wonderful place ever. In our opinion, only if you prefer quantity over quality."

+2 ^

That I would agree with, but I've known people who thought eating in Coinjock was the most wonderful place ever. In our opinion, only if you prefer quantity over quality.

My wife got steak, I got fish. The steak and fish were very good but her sweet potato was stringy and my vegetables looked and tasted like they were straight out of the can.

The Italian restaurant in Elizabeth City across the street from the free docks is excellent and there are other good restaurants as well.

If the free docks don't suit you, Pelican Marina is $35 regardless of the boat length. Water, electricity showers and laundry.

............. I sometime have to wonder. I get all the active Captain alerts on shoaling and the vast majority of reports I find to be off. Sure there is shoaling. But there is still lots of water to be found. None have stopped me, even though I have had to back off and explore the best depths. When found, they clearly exceed what many reviewers have posted as a minimum depth.

I don't even consider the Active Captain "hazard" reports. Like you, I find them to be pretty inaccurate and of course, most are out of date as well.

The marina and anchorage reports are useful to me but still, the comments often seem meaningless.

My depth sounder is set to alarm when the depth gets within a couple feet of my draft. At that point, I drop to idle speed or even stop and figure out for myself what is going on.

I don't even consider the Active Captain "hazard" reports. Like you, I find them to be pretty inaccurate and of course, most are out of date as well.

The marina and anchorage reports are useful to me but still, the comments often seem meaningless.

My depth sounder is set to alarm when the depth gets within a couple feet of my draft. At that point, I drop to idle speed or even stop and figure out for myself what is going on.

I consider them. I consider all alerts from all sources. I don't assume any of them are accurate for the day I'm there, but I definitely look carefully and remain aware of a potential issue.

Stupid me. I've taken the VA cut heading south & back every time I've gone ,beginning in '84 ( 20-25 times ,at least). Every time, I think to myself, "I need to take the Dismal Swamp route before it closes to navigation", thinking it would be closed due to the lack of government funding since the Army Corp can barely keep the heavily traveled ICW dredged , much less a seldom used waterway. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't open again but I promise, if & when it does reopen, we're going to take the time & do the little loop!

Back
Top Bottom