Old 09-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #21

Was on intellians website,and there is a I-5,other than the size ,is there any advantage over the 4,to justify the grand price difference?The only reference that I saw advertised,is that the larger dome is more esthetically appealing on larger boats!

tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #22

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Deuce
Vessel Model: Motorcat MC30
Check out the coverage maps. The 5 has greater range than the 4. It depends on where you plan to use it.

Gulfstar 36 MKII - 1976 - Work in progress
mixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #23

thankyou
Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I have the I-4 and have great reception from CT to FL. Haven't gone further than that. (Yet). BTW I added an external hard drive to the Dish box, paid Dish $40 as a one time activation fee and it now is a DVR as well.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #25

You should back that drive up! Easy to do.

The 4 will work great near coastal. My deal is I want to spend a lot of time in the Exumas in another year or so. The smaller domes can't get reception there. But using an 18" dish should work well. I never had a problem with a 16" AzTrax dish in the Abacos other than pointing it nearly 60 plus degrees. The Dish Network Easter Arc gets pretty high in the sky there. DirecTV and Dish Western Arc get too low to the west.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Orange Beach, AL
I recently installed a KVH TV1 and am quite happy with the performance. We seldom stray more than 90 miles offshore. It hasn't lost a signal yet. I have DirectTV.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
I recently installed a KVH TV1 and am quite happy with the performance. We seldom stray more than 90 miles offshore. It hasn't lost a signal yet. I have DirectTV.
This points out matching systems to boating habits. In this case, to where boating, and to how much one is bothered if they can't get reception. Most of the time, we have enough shows on DVR. In fact, the only shows we watch live are sports. Just would be very unhappy if we missed game 7 of the NBA finals or the World Series or missed the Super Bowl.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #28
Guru

Wifey B: We're at home but I sure wouldn't want to be missing tonight's game, my Panthers vs. the Broncos who beat us in the Super Bowl.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #29

City: Georgia
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 41EU
Neptunejeater, I am really curious about your comment regarding standard def quality between Dish and DirecTV. I have DTV at home and just cannot watch a standard def program. It drives me insane. We are in the process of getting a new boat and want to put a dish on it. Yes, primarily for sports.

While I don't want to spend $10k for the s6, I also don't want to spend less only to end up with a picture I can't stand watching. So, how good is the standard def with Dish? Adding a receiver to our DTV account would cost us only $5 a month, so that's appealing, but not if the picture sucks. Thanks.
mcboatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #30

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Yes, to snag a new customer they are really quick. Hope you don't need them again.
Howard, it would have to go out past 13 days to be worse than dish! If it does then I'd say your right.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #31

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Just to clarify satellites used by both DISH and DirecTV. DirecTV primarily uses satellites at 99W, 101W, and 103W. The 99W and 103W satellites are Ka band only and carry both local channel programming in spot beams and HD programming on CONUS beams. The reason the Intellian can look at all three satellites at once is the close proximity of the satellites makes it relatively easy to build an antenna and triple LNB to see all satellites concurrently. DISH on the other hand using 3 satellites in the Western ARC (110W, 119W, and 129W) for all of their programming. Their HD programming and local channels (also on spot beams) are spread onto all three satellites with most of the HD programming on the 129 satellite. While a antenna installed at your home can look at all three concurrently, a stabilized antenna to do the same thing would drive the cost up significantly. The stabilized antennas used for DISH look at one satellite at a time (as does the Tailgator), and spoofs the receiver into believing it is looking at all three. When you choose a program that is on a different satellite the controller points the antenna to the new satellite. Because of that it is only practical to have a single receiver on a DISH stabilized terminal unless they are both looking at programming on the same satellite. So if you need multiple receivers, DirecTV may be a better solution.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #32

To further clarify; Dish Network's "Eastern Arc" has most HD programming on 72.7. Spot-beam locals are on 61.5. 77 typically has foreign language programming on it. So one only needs to "point" to 72.7 in Dish's Eastern Arc to get the majority of programming and multiple receivers can share that.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #33

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
My only experience is with Directv.

Pros: Wireless, wireless, and wireless I have 4 TVs in my home, and they're not connected via coax to a wall plug. All of them run on wireless connections back to the Rcvr/DVR, so I can put a TV anywhere without worrying about where/how to run cable to connect it.

Cons: Terrible, pathetic, ridiculously obtuse and non-responsive customer service
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post

Cons: Terrible, pathetic, ridiculously obtuse and non-responsive customer service
Is there any satellite or cable provider that you can't say that about? We have been with Time Warner and Comcast and Direct TV at home and could say that about them all.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
We don't subscribe to a tv or internet service on our boat. We have some movies on DVD, we play cards, read, talk, enjoy the marine environment around us, cook and enjoy each other's company away from the rat race.
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #36

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Is there any satellite or cable provider that you can't say that about? We have been with Time Warner and Comcast and Direct TV at home and could say that about them all.
While that's true, many/most of the DTV customers I speak to say that it's gotten even worse since the ATT purchase. I spent 15 minutes on the phone AFTER they put a hoomin on, just trying to drop the NFL Sunday Ticket, and had to leave before he could finish the job. 15 mins to make a programming change as simple as deleting an add-on. It's about 3 mouse-clicks to do that. Sometimes I think helplines try to outlast you

Won't be putting it on our boat. Had it for awhile in our motor home, but really didn't use it much. Ended up with a nice little Jack antenna for locals, and that gave us everything we needed
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"We don't subscribe to a tv or internet service on our boat."

Local over the air TV will give a good local weather report ,

and in election season can provide great comedy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:23 AM   #38

For the few posters that said it was primarily for the nfl sunday, wouldnt just be easier to find a local sports bar on Sunday, get a burger and a beer. I can see if it is baseball(161 games), but not football.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 AM   #39
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
My experience with Dish has been quite good.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
For the few posters that said it was primarily for the nfl sunday, wouldnt just be easier to find a local sports bar on Sunday, get a burger and a beer. I can see if it is baseball(161 games), but not football.
Wifey B: Other than it wouldn't be the game I wanted to see and the fact I don't like sports bars....then ok. And we do like it for all sports, not just football. Basketball is number one with us.