Ted
From overhead perhaps?

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #43
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It's not uncommon for spray shooting over my pilothouse roof (and streams of water running along the decks) when encountering steep, five-foot waves often encountered in eastern San Pablo and Suisun bays. Slowing the boat from six to five knots helps reduce crew discomfort.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #44
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
From overhead perhaps?

In a few cases I may have been called a "chicken", but not by my"crew"!
However, on inspection, could not find any feathers. This limited the
"elevation" idea. Also no snowbird.
Thanks for response.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #45
Guru

GFC, how did the 180 degree turn go after sounding the retreat? Careful timing, looking for a gap?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #46
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
“That is where murphy-gauge equipped dual racors (the kind with a selector valve) come in handy. (And a stand up engine room, too.)”
I've never heard them called that but if you're talking about the vacuum gauges that mount on top of the Racors, that is what I have and I watch them fairly closely.
“Did this without previewing the vid myself. On the vid it looked nothing like it did in real life.”
That's the same experience I've had.
“I have experienced the same thing and concluded that there are two possible explanations: 1) the video was wrong (didn't accurately portray real life, as stated above), and 2) our senses deceived us.”
Yup, I agree. I think it's a combination of the two. It's difficult to gauge the height of something when you're looking down on it. I also think that videos just do not accurately portray what wave conditions are. Also, because the wind was on our port bow at first and then directly on the bow, and because I was inside the "windows", you didn't get the sound of the wind.
“Well, unless you have 3D video, it's very difficult to capture. I've seen videos where the waves didn't look that bad but then looking at the boats and seeing how they were being tossed around, you quickly realize how bad they were.”

“GFC, how did the 180 degree turn go after sounding the retreat? Careful timing, looking for a gap?”
Waves tend to come in sets of 3 or 4. I watched a couple of sets go beneath us and made my turn in the waves between two sets. The turn was actually a non-event with almost no side to side rocking.

Here's a video I took when I helped deliver that boat to California. We were off the coast of WA and that turned out to be the roughest water we encountered on the whole trip south.

The boat in this video is a 5788 Bayliner, about a foot longer and a foot wider than my boat. It seemed to be bouncing around more than my boat did in my videos but I think that was more a factor of taking the waves on the stbd bow rather than straight on.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #47

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
The video/pictures is ALWAYS less than the real thing. Conversely, if it looks bad in the pictures/video.... it was BAD.

GFC, I never quite got WHY the hatch opened. Thousands of miles of sailing in/near/and off shore, never had a GOOD hatch open itself. (Stupidly left a few open and soaked my bed, but that's another story)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #48
GFC
Guru

Oscar, I'm guessing a bit here but I think the hatch was fully down when l looked at it while untying dock lines before departure, but I never felt it to make sure it would not lift.

When we stuck the bow into that wave I suspect some of the water got under the hatch and lifted it up with enough force that it broke the two struts that are there to hold it in place.

There was a LOT of water that came in with that wave. The bedding was soaked clear through to the frame and plywood beneath the bedding. Also, the floor got soaked.

We put fans on the carpet to dry it but it stayed wet then damp until today. I left the forward hatch open yesterday to get that humid air of and let some dry air into the forward stateroom to help dry things out. Between the two fans and the drier air it finally got dried out today.

I looked at the struts to see where they broke and both broke with clean breaks. I picked up some epoxy that is specifically made for plastics and glued them today. I'll see if that holds. If not, it's easy enough to replace the two struts.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #49
GFC
Guru

Here are a few more photos from the weekend. Sorry they're a bit fuzzy, the lens on my phone must have been dirty.

Here's the entrance to the lock. Unlike Ice Harbor lock which we usually go through, this one has a roadway that goes over the lock. They raise it for taller boats.

This also is different from Ice Harbor. This is the downstream gate. It is opened and closed by a large(!) hydraulic ram. Ice Harbor has a large guillotine gate they raise and lower.

When the gate is fully opened it tucks into areas on the sidewalls.

This is a shot looking downstream and it shows how tall these locks are. The land you see beyond the gate is the level of the downstream part of the river. When we came back through the lock on Sunday we were raised about 85'.

Here's a shot of the spillway. I don't know why this one and the next are so small. They're spilling enough water to satisfy the salmon lovers and other environmental groups that sued years ago to force the USACE to release more water.

For a parting shot, a view of the sunset on Saturday night.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #50
GFC
Guru

As a PS to this thread, I found a 2-part Epoxy that is specially made for plastics. I had looked at the hatch struts and where they broke both broke cleanly. I went to the boat yesterday, mixed up the Epoxy and applied it. It took only 20-25 minutes to set up but I gave it an hour. It seems to have bonded the parts back together.

Now to see if it holds. If not; I replace the struts.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #51
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
“That is where murphy-gauge equipped dual racors (the kind with a selector valve) come in handy. (And a stand up engine room, too.)”
I've never heard them called that but if you're talking about the vacuum gauges that mount on top of the Racors, that is what I have and I watch them fairly closely.
A murphy gauge (as I understand it), has a resetable mechanical indicator that represents the highest value reached. Much more convenient than checking frequently.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #52
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have never heard that term, but I don't get around much. I have only heard that refers to as a gauge with a drag pointer.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #53
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
You can have clean Racors and they can still clog in those conditions...the question is are your tanks clean? I was in conditions very similar to what you were in(solid 30-40knots). The boat was not liking it. I was not liking it. My GF was not liking it. And when the left engine started to lose RPM, it made the decision to turn around very easy. Running WITH the weather in those conditions is much better than running against it. The engine never quit. It just started varying RPM by about 200. Put the boat up and I came back to change the filters the next day and all was well.
Which is why I put this on the 'Top off tanks?" thread, John.

"What I don't like is the way so many marine tanks have a fuel pick-up which enters at the top and does not reach to the bottom, which seems to be a recipe for sludge accumulation, and it must get stirred up in rough weather. I suspect that is why so many comment on experiencing clogged filters, something I have never had happen."

My tanks drain from the bottom. (Like Nordhavn) Why don't more manufacturers address this vulnerability you mention?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have never heard that term, but I don't get around much. I have only heard that refers to as a gauge with a drag pointer.
A Murphy Gauge is a brand of gauge. It is a mechanical gauge and considered to be the most accurate and most dependable in the business. The drag pointer is a different subject but obviously a Murphy Gauge can have one. I have been chasing a potential hot running engine. A Murphy Gauge screwed into the sending unit hole told me the engine was running at normal temps and it is a gauge or electrical issue causing a hotter indication. If I could have an entire panel of Murphy Gauges I would be a happy dude!!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote