Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady View Post
I expected issues but where I come from 2500 hours on a diesel engine is almost new.
Unless treated right, marine age trumps hours every time. 27 years is an old engine when untreated and let go. But, price out a repower if the boat owner will price it accordingly - ie - knock off 15 to 20 grand.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #22

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
Well, I said I wasn't going to look at anymore boats. I lied. Saw a brand new listing on YW yesterday, called, checked it out this morning, one that I wanted from the beginning. I met the broker and the owner and checked it out myself. As I was leaving I called my surveyor who was right around the corner working on his boat. He met me there, looked it over, he gave it the thumbs up I made an offer, owner accepted, survey is Monday!
THD was right, she whispered, "Buy me, Buy me". Actually the boat screamed "Buy me!" Here she is, meet Sandy Lee IV, my new love.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	29776  

slowandsteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #23
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
So much for "Slow and Steady"! Rename yourself "Fast and Furious"!

Good luck with the new boat!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
What motor is in it???
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #25

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
For those that haven't recognized it, it's a Mainship 34 III with Perkins 200HP. It's more boat for less money.
slowandsteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #26
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Well, I said I wasn't going to look at anymore boats. I lied. Saw a brand new listing on YW yesterday, called, checked it out this morning, one that I wanted from the beginning. I met the broker and the owner and checked it out myself. As I was leaving I called my surveyor who was right around the corner working on his boat. He met me there, looked it over, he gave it the thumbs up I made an offer, owner accepted, survey is Monday!
THD was right, she whispered, "Buy me, Buy me". Actually the boat screamed "Buy me!" Here she is, meet Sandy Lee IV, my new love.
Nice looking boat!
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Wow!! What a difference 2 days make. Congrats on your new love.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #28
Guru

Survey Success

Quote:
I thought it was the boat....1987 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge. All good until the engine survey and sea trial...then...the green monster reared it's ugly head from it's cramped quarters in the bilge and blew up the deal. Where do I start? Exhaust elbow and hose, not bad. Leaky turbo gasket, ok, I can do that. Raw water pump, getting worse. Leaking heat exchanger, uh oh. Blow by...epic fail. I'm trying to get my deposit back for the slip I reserved. I don't want to look at boats anymore.
Congratulations, you did the right thing so don't beat yourself up! You were smart enough to spend a few dollars, higher an inspector who appears did his job and saved you a lot of money and headaches. As others have pointed out, this is a 25 year old boat so you should have gone in with that mind-set.

We were in similar shoes when were looking for our boat and the one found was only 9 years old, very low hours and had an owner who used an open checkbook to keep her like new. Despite this, the survey found a few issues which we took care of and missed an overheating stuffing box that cost me a few thousands to take care and this is on a boat this a true 9.5 out of 10. Bottom line is don't get discouraged, take your time and you will find your boat.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
That IS part of the Miracles inside pleasure boating world! You will soon begin experiencing more Miracle Parts! Congrats!! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #30
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
That Perkins 200 comes with the dreaded "manicooler", combined heat exchanger, exh and intake manifold. Cast aluminum, it can corrode badly where the bronze HX end caps seat. Make sure that gets a good thorough look over. Not sure if the manicooler is still avaiable, but even if it is, it is very expensive. Contact TAD in virginia and see if still available. Charge air and oil cooler have similar issues. Al with brnz caps.

Otherwise, a pretty good engine. Not sure how long parts are going to be available, but since there are so many still out there, the market usually fills the needs.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. s. Atta boy! Glad Miss Shirley helped you out. Further....