Dirty River Ft, Lauderdale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The country, the 50 states, and the tens of thousands of cities in this country all suffer from a crumbling infrastructure. I don't know of any city that doesn't have issues with their water and sewage systems. We didn't react with any meaningful plans even after Flint, MI. As one who lives in the yellow area of the map, we're definitely aware of the issues. We've foregone use of kayaks and paddleboards during this time. It hasn't impacted boating and, as to the man saying he's doing no fishing charters, I really don't see why it would prevent him there. Fort Lauderdale has a very aggressive plan to just try to gain ground on it, but it's a multi billion dollar plan and one that will take years.

I will not drink Fort Lauderdale water. It's compliant with all federal standards 4 out of the last 10 quarters. Oh, and those wonderful filters. Neither activated carbon or ion exchange will remove the contaminants that are outside standards. In fact, the only type system that will is reverse osmosis, the same methods used by water bottlers and by boats.

It's also not just coastal cities. It's all cities with issues. It's simple. They pipes are old and need replacing. Oh, and while at it, your home may have similar issues on both water and sewage if it's got some age on it.

It is everywhere I agree. In my "home port" of Mystic, Ct it was never a problem until: The Art show, the Mystic food fest, Pirate invasion, or a large rain storm, I can't think of them all.

It took about 20 years for them to fix the problem, but when we get that light NNE breeze at the marina, well we call it the "poo-poo" wind.

At least the fish and crabs have come back to our little cove.

Politicos don't get many points for cutting the ribbon at the new multi million dollar sewer plant .

Politicians do what it takes to get re-elected. If that means opening sewer plants that’s what they do. If it means putting in anchoring restrictions, they will do that too. That is the system we have had for the life of our republic and the way to deal with it is to participate: vote, call constituent services, complain to your state and federal representatives, give money, volunteer with a campaign, etc. Bitching in online forums does nothing at all and probably won’t make you feel any better either.

Last edited:
Woodland, I disagree with your comment about bitchin' on forums. I appreciate ASD's initial post about pollutants in the waters down there. Had Tom not taken the time to post the link to that story I wouldn't have known about it, we wouldn't have gotten BandB's first hand knowledge of the situation and the others on this thread wouldn't have had a chance to speak their piece.

Speaking one's piece doesn't always resort to breaking the peace.

I was speaking to the generalized comments about politicos above, not the posts informing forum members about pertinent issues. Those are always useful, moaning and groaning about the way we have chosen to govern ourselves is not.

Don't blame this situation on politicos, blame it on ourselves. We want lower taxes, we are the ones who force that agenda on candidates. We are the ones who would never elect the candidate who campaigned saying "I intend to raise local property taxes by 20% using 10% to improve education and 10% on our water and sewer systems." I say that as someone who lives in a city with what I consider substandard education, certainly based on the wealth in the area, but then many of the wealthy go to private schools, and a city which has water and sewer systems crumbling by the minute.

Our infrastructure reminds me of the person who buys a $10 million boat, but never spends a dollar on any routine maintenance, only reacts to emergencies along the way. What will it look like in 10, 20, 40 years? Look at the rundown houses around various neighborhoods where people could afford them but couldn't afford good upkeep. Did we expect roads, bridges, and water and sewage pipes to last forever. We should have built a replacement fund, starting in year one.

The other factor is we've continued to add people and businesses and not adequately account for them. Our cities are like one bedroom apartments with 20 people living in them. And, don't for a moment think it's just large cities. Drive through rural Mississippi which uses lagoons to handle sewage and watch all the sewage backing up in the streets after a huge storm. Years ago the company I worked for built new lagoons for one small town. See, we could get funding from the state for economic reasons based on employees added, but the town couldn't get any funding based on human needs or utility needs. So, we got state money for the lagoons and we bought the city the wetlands they needed to replace the new lagoon land. All things the town couldn't do and couldn't afford to do. That town has 2600 people, 1000 households and a median household income of $21,000 today.

It's like condos that don't build adequate capital reserves and ultimately must have a special assessment which then half the condo owners can't pay.

Now, this is somewhat off boating except it does affect our waterways. I'd suggest everyone looking at ewg.org and their city for the tap water database. Google and look for sewage system spills for your hometown. Here are a few Florida issues in the news. https://health.wusf.usf.edu/term/sewage#stream/0

One more piece of information if you live further north. Check to see if your city still has a combined sewer system where residential, commercial and storm water all use the same pipes. I'm sure that was once thought to be a great idea, but what it leads to is 1" of rain can increase the flow to 5 or 10 times normal and then you see backup in your storm drains but that backup isn't storm water, it's combined all sewage, and when the station can't handle it all, then it's not storm water flowing to sea but it's a combination of all sewage. Now some cities have re-piped and others have built large storage tunnels to take the extra.

Those who rave about boating regulations while all this dumping have a point but the real point needs to be not to create more problems with waste in our waters, but to work toward stopping the existing ones. Ask what your hometown is doing?

If a city decides to propose a bond for improving their sewage system today, it will be at least 10 years before the real benefit will be experienced. 2 years to get it to the ballot and get the money and then 7 or 8 years building it. So, if your town hasn't already started, just think how much worse things will get. Fort Lauderdale has started but there are still many more spills to happen while they do the work.

Back when the toilet systems for boats began to be regulated and enforcement of black water bladders, three way valves and holding tanks were being installed in new boats, right off the beaches of North Miami and Ft Laud, there was outflow pipes for sewer from the towns along the reef line along the beaches. And guess what, that was a pretty good place to fish with a charter party. Anyone remember the stinking Electra San units?

Last edited:
Don't blame this situation on politicos, blame it on ourselves. We want lower taxes, we are the ones who force that agenda on candidates. We are the ones who would never elect the candidate who campaigned saying "I intend to raise local property taxes by 20% using 10% to improve education and 10% on our water and sewer systems." I say that as someone who lives in a city with what I consider substandard education, certainly based on the wealth in the area, but then many of the wealthy go to private schools, and a city which has water and sewer systems crumbling by the minute.

Our infrastructure reminds me of the person who buys a $10 million boat, but never spends a dollar on any routine maintenance, only reacts to emergencies along the way. What will it look like in 10, 20, 40 years? Look at the rundown houses around various neighborhoods where people could afford them but couldn't afford good upkeep. Did we expect roads, bridges, and water and sewage pipes to last forever. We should have built a replacement fund, starting in year one.

The other factor is we've continued to add people and businesses and not adequately account for them. Our cities are like one bedroom apartments with 20 people living in them. And, don't for a moment think it's just large cities. Drive through rural Mississippi which uses lagoons to handle sewage and watch all the sewage backing up in the streets after a huge storm. Years ago the company I worked for built new lagoons for one small town. See, we could get funding from the state for economic reasons based on employees added, but the town couldn't get any funding based on human needs or utility needs. So, we got state money for the lagoons and we bought the city the wetlands they needed to replace the new lagoon land. All things the town couldn't do and couldn't afford to do. That town has 2600 people, 1000 households and a median household income of $21,000 today.

It's like condos that don't build adequate capital reserves and ultimately must have a special assessment which then half the condo owners can't pay.

Now, this is somewhat off boating except it does affect our waterways. I'd suggest everyone looking at ewg.org and their city for the tap water database. Google and look for sewage system spills for your hometown. Here are a few Florida issues in the news. https://health.wusf.usf.edu/term/sewage#stream/0

One more piece of information if you live further north. Check to see if your city still has a combined sewer system where residential, commercial and storm water all use the same pipes. I'm sure that was once thought to be a great idea, but what it leads to is 1" of rain can increase the flow to 5 or 10 times normal and then you see backup in your storm drains but that backup isn't storm water, it's combined all sewage, and when the station can't handle it all, then it's not storm water flowing to sea but it's a combination of all sewage. Now some cities have re-piped and others have built large storage tunnels to take the extra.

Those who rave about boating regulations while all this dumping have a point but the real point needs to be not to create more problems with waste in our waters, but to work toward stopping the existing ones. Ask what your hometown is doing?

If a city decides to propose a bond for improving their sewage system today, it will be at least 10 years before the real benefit will be experienced. 2 years to get it to the ballot and get the money and then 7 or 8 years building it. So, if your town hasn't already started, just think how much worse things will get. Fort Lauderdale has started but there are still many more spills to happen while they do the work.
Brett, I am half agreeing on this.
Indeed if people do not want to pay taxes there will be no funding for any public service and this is something a lot of people do not understand.
On the other hand people are fedup to pay taxes just to see this money to be wasted and trashed.
To give you an example, I am living near Montreal and working Montreal downtown. People in Montreal are paying high tax rate (more than twice what I am paying in my suburb city). But when you see how this money is wasted well...
Near my office there is street corner where they replaced fresh water and waste water pipes... This took them more than 2 years to replace let say 400 feet of pipe, I guess that some business did their money there!
Problem is that in our corrupted world, at any level, money from hard working citizens is wasted by people trying to grow their own capital.

L

Back
Top Bottom