Old 03-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #1

City: Grand Haven, MI
Vessel Name: Grey Goose
Vessel Model: 1986 Chris, 426 Catalina
Dingy Motor

Question for the group - I am running a 10’ RIB with an 8hp Evinrude. I use weaver snap davits for the dink, but have no secure way of storing the engine to the swim platform. I’ve looked at just about everything out there and have completely confused myself. (Not that it’s a difficult thing to do).

Thoughts, suggestions,

Thanks!
Grey Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have essentially the same setup. We have a motor mount on the transom that we store the motor on when underway. I attached a photo of the stern but it is not a great photo of the motor mount on the port side but it is the best photo I have of it.
Attached Thumbnails
37E00626-9691-40A9-903F-0CA1378E9088.jpg  
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Weaver has a swivel mount for the motor so every thing stays attached. Try searching for “Weaver” here on TF.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Do a search on the site on this topic. There was a transom mount that pivoted, mounted on the swim platform, to turn the outboard 90 degrees to the side some here have. It might work for you.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Edmonds WA
Sea wise has probably the best system. motor pivots automatically. Weaver has a Lever system, but one has to fiddle with it more.SeaWise has a hand crank system as well as a
pricey hydraulic one. My solution was to buy a boat big enough to carry the dink on the boat deck using a crane. So we just bought a Symbol 45 - Any one want to buy my Cutwater 30 Command Bridge, send me a private message.
BobnDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Weaver has a swivel mount for the motor so every thing stays attached. Try searching for “Weaver” here on TF.

Weaver Leaver will be the term you are searching for :-)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #7

City: Parry Sound
Vessel Name: Stardust X
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Assuming you have a four stroke motor. We have Weaver davits and an older two stroke 15hp Evinrude. Just leave it attached to the motor mount and check the clamps once in a while ... it rests comfortably on an angle when secured. Very happy with the whole rig for dropping, raising, stability getting on and off the dink. I was thinking about getting a new motor and four strokes are nice - but that mounting thing raised its head. So new navigation toys instead!
monkjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I have the Weaver Leaver setup on a 11' hard dinghy and a 9.9 Yamaha. A very good system that I've used for many years. Weaver is quality and the best stainless steel and welding you'll find.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #9

City: New Orleans
Look at Adventure Marine. They have a swivel bracket system so the engine stays on the dinghy. I have this setup and get get my dinghy ready in about a minute!
gknoepfler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #10

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
We have an AB 9.5 AL hull with a 15 hp motor, on a Mainship 430 aft cabin trawler. We used the Seawise davit system as referred to above. No need to remove the motor. We have had it one season and love it. It is pricey, but each system is configured to the specific boat and dink. Stuart at Seawise is a pleasure to work with.

Jim
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #11
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
if you have a local metal / fabricator, you may be able to have someone whip up something simple at a fraction of the cost of what some charge
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnDoc View Post
SeaWise has a pricey hand crank system as well as an even more
pricey hydraulic one.
Fixed that for you!

Seriously, I know these are boats but the prices on some of these davit systems are crazy.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Fixed that for you!

Seriously, I know these are boats but the prices on some of these davit systems are crazy.
i met someone that duplicated the expensive systems for less than $100 in materials

for your own use i would not worry but wonder if they have any patents? if not, might be a business opportunity to start making something similar for less $$
Old 03-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Greygoose,
Our boat came with a Seawise system already installed. Even at that, it cost a "pretty penny" to get our existing RIB "setup" to work with the system. It is an expensive system.
However, with that being said, it works great!!! Very quick and easy to use. We buddy boated all summer last year with our friends who own a KK52. We rafted to them most nights and always used our dinghy due to how easy it was to launch and retrieve. Their dinghy is stored up on the top deck and requires a "crane" to launch and retrieve and needs 2 people to make it work (fend off the dinghy etc.).
So, if the cost isn't "too much" for you, I like my Seawise. No association with the company, just a user of their product.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #15
Guru

For the past few years I kept the dinghy engine laying on its side in either a rear cabin storage area (old boat) or on the teak deck (with padding) aft cockpit off to the side on my current boat. It was fine and not really in the way in either case. However, I will be keeping it attached to my dinghy moving forward now that the dinghy will lay flat on the fly bridge. Will save me a step having to carry and mount it and dismount after use.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #16

City: Milford ct
Vessel Name: Oars Up
Vessel Model: 46.6 Bertram MY
We use Weaver davits and the Weaver leaver which allows the the 15hp outboard to stay on the 10.6 RIB. An electric winch is used to swing the dinghy up onto the

swim platform. Very easy system to launch and retrieve.
rswift is offline   Reply With Quote