Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #21
Guru

HopCar my friend is a large volume OB dealer in two Japanese brands and getting involved with a competitive motor may be an issue. He does repair most brands and he is aware of the propane situation. I suspect if he wants to get into that end of the business he will make the move and may be bidding time to see what happens including which of his competition becomes dealers. I suspect if I owned a propane motor and needed repairs he would do it but at this time he does not appear to be too interested in that end of the business of course that might change if more motors are out there. At present he has all the repair work he can handle and the sales of inflatable boats remains his prime business. All above is my personal take on the situation and I am not authorized or knowledgeable enough to talk for him. That dinghy you have the 15 on does not have much freeboard on the stern. You might have an interesting event if a wake comes up your butt.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
Vessel Model: 1982 32 Foot Island Gypsy Sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to islandgypsy
I've heard the Lehr is hard to wash out after use in salt water. Is this a problem for you?

I'm looking at a 2.5 horse from West Marine. Really all I need for a small dinghy for up to four passengers. I like the price.

islandgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I just stick my 2.5 in a trash can full of water and start it.

The same process works for the 5 but there is a flush adapter that screws into it's lower unit as well. People complain about flushing the 5 because it won't accept an earmuff flusher.

The 9 will accept earmuff type flushers.

The 15 has a garden hose adapter on the side of the engine and is really easy to flush.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
My vote now would go for the 4 stroke 2.3 hp Honda as long as you don't have a large dink and want planing speeds for long distances. I wish we had gone over to it earlier.

Main virtues are…

As someone else said, goes first pull most times no matter how long since last used.

Light to lift on and off.

Uses plain fuel with no oil mixing.

Best feature in a way is being air-cooled. So you can start it before it goes in the water to be sure all is well, and no flushing necessary.

Honda reliability.

Love it..!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #25
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
My vote now would go for the 4 stroke 2.3 hp Honda as long as you don't have a large dink and want planing speeds for long distances. I wish we had gone over to it earlier.

We don't have a mast so weight was very important.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Not sure if this is the case with yours, but the air cooled small Honda's I've seen, or should I say heard are extremely noisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Main virtues are…

As someone else said, goes first pull most times no matter how long since last used.

Light to lift on and off.

Uses plain fuel with no oil mixing.

Best feature in a way is being air-cooled. So you can start it before it goes in the water to be sure all is well, and no flushing necessary.

Honda reliability.

Love it..!

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote