Old 05-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
foggysail,on the advice of an engineer boat neighbour I have not supported the St. Croix from FB to main deck. We lift 30kg, the mounting is pretty much over the side house "wall", there is a large plate under the FB to distribute load, and the plate has a turn down screwed to the house "wall" longitudinal timber. The Europa design provides a support right opposite the mounting. And the "mast" tube is bracketed to the railings, as St Croix suggest, using fittings they provide.
I`m a little nervous about it and know it could be controversial, but deflection is minimal under load, I think it works, but I`ll be watching it.
But no way would I mount davits as the OP originally considered, the aft FB deck would likely fail. The link was to provide the OP pics of how Clipper did it, OEM.

Bruce-- you received fine advice. The deck plate for my installation acts as a fulcrum point for horizontal forces. The vertical force is transfered via a 4" aluminum pipe to a well supported plate located in the rear of an out of the way closet. I have had problems but with the winch only. I have replaced it once with the same as the one that failed. I intend to see what Harbor Freight has to offer (120vac) and purchase something for backup.

My arrangement has worked flawlessly for over ten years. I'll try to take pictures.

And Bruce, I agree with you about the OP's setup.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
foggysail, the St Croix Junior is a work of art but basic. It has a 4 gang block to ease the work. No motor, no manual winch. It can lift 190lbs, we are not approaching that. The engineer`s theory is the load goes into the side of the house,and down, but he was watching carefully when we christened it.
Seevee,were the Clipper pics helpful?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Bruce--

ANYTHING that eases raising and lowering your dinghy from the water is all you need. My dinghy & 8hp outboard are in the 200lb range so a winch does help.

I had the same dinghy when I owned my Hunter 30 sailboat. It was not an enjoyable task back then lifting the dinghy with a halyard to store it on the forward deck. My outboard had to be removed first. I was overjoyed finding a used crane at Sailorman for less than $2K.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Maybe something like this, but with a longer frame and the hinge point mounted higher in the transom or even on the gunwale?
Attached Thumbnails
6222372_0_020520171630_0.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #25
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
From my experience the lower the weight the lower the centre of gravity and the more stable the boat is in a rough sea.
A dinghy mounted off the F/B with supporting struts below to be honest would be a disaster to unship and mount a outboard in an emergency situation and frankly its not ship sweet, so why not secure it to the bathing platform.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #26
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
foggysail, the St Croix Junior is a work of art but basic. It has a 4 gang block to ease the work. No motor, no manual winch. It can lift 190lbs, we are not approaching that. The engineer`s theory is the load goes into the side of the house,and down, but he was watching carefully when we christened it.
Seevee,were the Clipper pics helpful?
BruceK,

Yes, some good ideas out there. I realize that supporting it well would be necessary, but I really like to get it out of the way for most of the "day" cruising.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
From my experience the lower the weight the lower the centre of gravity and the more stable the boat is in a rough sea.
A dinghy mounted off the F/B with supporting struts below to be honest would be a disaster to unship and mount a outboard in an emergency situation and frankly its not ship sweet, so why not secure it to the bathing platform.
Irish,

Would agree about the high center of gravity, but if I were operating in rough weather, I'd lower it to the swim platform. For the vast majority of cruising, the 100 lb dinghy would not be and issue with the higher center of gravity. Would be less than adding one person on the flybridge.

When the weather gets rough, I prefer to secure the flybridge and operate from below. Some boats don't have that choice.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We've got a different Mainship, 370 Motoryacht, but I've seen other owners rig the boat to lift the dingy onto aft deck roof, which falls about shoulder height standing on the flybridge. (Photo below, not of our boat but of the same model with the dingy way up in the air.) The profile of your model probably isn't quite as tall as ours, but besides increasing the roll (moment arm, for those who like mech engineering terms) I'd be concerned about increasing windage too. Our boat is just a giant sail, a billboard in high winds and it's tough to wrangle. Our dingy and motor together weigh just less than 200 lbs. so I don't worry about the weight as much as increasing the boat's profile. We love our boat, overall very happy with it, but even at 26,000 dry weight and about 28,000 loaded, it gets knocked around like a Styrofoam cup in high winds. I understand the desire to lift the dingy high enough to get your swim platform back, but we finally resigned ourselves to removing the motor and lugging the dinghy up over the bow rail for longer runs. Didn't see a better alternative without increasing windage even more, and storing it upside down on the bow is a nice secure way to run. Always a compromise one way or another.
Attached Thumbnails
1995-mainship-37-motor-yacht-1.jpg  
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #29

City: Athens, AL
Vessel Name: Always Something!
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 open
In my previous boating life, I had a 39/43 Marine Trader Tradewinds CPMY. The photo shows a 600 lb 12’ Logic w/ 25 Yamaha 4 stroke on the sun deck hard top. The lift boom is a Nautical Structure 1000 with standpipe to sundeck. The MT was heavy @ 36K and had an 18” deep keel and 14’6” beam … water line beam over 13’. All add to stability, at rest and underway. I had to do a side lift as the boom arm was not long enough to clear the swim platform. The side list, when lifting, was about 3 degrees. As soon as boat height would clear cockpit combing, we would swing to stern, over cockpit, and continue the lift. I cruised some 6000 inland miles with this setup, going through several storms and high winds but never felt the weight was an issue. My issue was access to the hard top. I believe a lift boom, properly installed and supported, provides options to lift a dingy to supported aft extension.
Attached Thumbnails
a day at  the  beach.jpg  
Alabama Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #30
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Lateral thought. Riviera and Maritimo boats usually locate the dinghy on a rack on the foredeck with an electric crane to do the work. Typically they lack a lower helm. Worth considering if vision from a lower helm is not affected.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #31

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
No Swingy Dinghy. The handy Admiral used webbing straps and secured snap shackles to the end. After reading an article about how quickly a fire spread, we re-evaluated how we secured the dinghy. We can get the dingy off in 15-20 seconds if needed. Also added an offset strap with a little tension to eliminate movement.

Was watching this thread closely because including pleasure use of the dinghy, it may need to serve another purpose in an emergency, and we both wanted to deploy quickly if needed.

Both of the slings she made from the "S" hooks use the same strap and shackle arrangement. It's a safe and quick solution, and I could put many times more weight on this arrangement that we currently have.

mike
Attached Thumbnails
Dinghy Sling 1.jpg  
Old 05-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #32
Guru

Thanks for all the ideas. Think I can make it work... back to the planning.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Thanks for all the ideas. Think I can make it work... back to the planning.

Everything is possible getting it right the first time is the challenge
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 PM   #34
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
SeeVee I snapped these pictures for you yesterday. I thought you would like to see what was done here. Half of the railing was removed & a cradle was made to mount the dingy on the hardtop over the cockpit behind the bridge. It actually worked pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6855.jpg   IMG_6854.jpg   IMG_6853.jpg  
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #35
Guru

Boomerang,

Good pix and ideas, thanks!