Old 09-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
We have a boat deck with a 750 lb crane (Factory Bayliner )

Here's a couple of photos of me unloading our very heavy center console Zodiac by myself. Its a 5 minute job, up or down
The photos appear to show a flat calm day with either no boat in adjacent slip or enough room between boats to fit the dink. Not always the case. I've watched some scary roof launches in rough water anchorages....and marinas. Also as someone mentioned earlier...our dink is our life raft and I want it quickly, easily and safely accessible in the worst of conditions. Heavy roof dink = addition of inflatable life raft.

go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
The photos appear to show a flat calm day with either no boat in adjacent slip or enough room between boats to fit the dink. Not always the case. I've watched some scary roof launches in rough water anchorages....and marinas. Also as someone mentioned earlier...our dink is our life raft and I want it quickly, easily and safely accessible in the worst of conditions. Heavy roof dink = addition of inflatable life raft.
I can say that in any anchorage that is comfortable to stay in, we launch the skiff.

Admittedly launching a skiff off of any boat deck in rough weather would mean a several hundred pound load swinging. That would be an unsafe situation.

Thats why we carry a SOLAS life raft.

What we did not want, and never will want is a skiff hanging off of the swim step. Thats because we use our boat to fish off of, and we use the swim platform to exit the boat at the dock.

That and in truly rough weather I want my skiff strapped down in it's chocks where I know it's safe.

Years ago I had a skiff break loose that was utilizing some sort of swim step mount. I think it was a weaver, but honestly don't remember. We were in truly crappy weather and then i had to deal with a skiff hanging down into the water. No thanks! My skiff, and all my skiffs since then get tied down using three points of ratchet straps. In rough weather I have other things to worry about besides a skiff.

This is the kind of following sea that will knock a swim step mounted skiff off.
These were bouy measured 10 footers, and we were running hard to keep ahead of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7700.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	44804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7705.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	44805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7732.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	44806  

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I can say that in any anchorage that is comfortable to stay in, we launch the skiff.

Admittedly launching a skiff off of any boat deck in rough weather would mean a several hundred pound load swinging. That would be an unsafe situation.

Thats why we carry a SOLAS life raft.

What we did not want, and never will want is a skiff hanging off of the swim step. Thats because we use our boat to fish off of, and we use the swim platform to exit the boat at the dock.

That and in truly rough weather I want my skiff strapped down in it's chocks where I know it's safe.

Years ago I had a skiff break loose that was utilizing some sort of swim step mount. I think it was a weaver, but honestly don't remember. We were in truly crappy weather and then i had to deal with a skiff hanging down into the water. No thanks! My skiff, and all my skiffs since then get tied down using three points of ratchet straps. In rough weather I have other things to worry about besides a skiff.
Check out Nick Jackson's stern davits. Access via the swim platform and rigidly attached to boat structure (not the swim platform) when out of the water. Think it's already been established that swim platform mount is not realistic for a large dinghy/motor. Fishing is a personal problem.

Truly rough weather is 10 footers with an extremely short period as on Lake Michigan. Never a problem with the Nick Jackson stern davit.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #24

City: Gainesville, FL
You mentioned the N47. Well, almost all of them (and most of the flybridge N37s) have a Mirage composite 1,000 lb. davit to stow the dink (typically a 12' center console RIB with 30hp) on the aft end of hardtop - behind the flybridge seating. One boat (Gale Force) stows her 13', 40hp tender on the foredeck and lifts it with a 1,200 lb. UMT davit with hydraulic luffing. And our ex-charter boat, Spoonbill (now Almost Heaven), has no dinghy storage arrangement at all - she tows her skiff. Of course, there have been several differing opinions among our owners on the best way to POSITION the dinghy on the hardtop!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gale Force.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	44807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christina Sea.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	44808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cardiac-A-Rest 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	44809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cardiac-A-Rest.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	44810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Dee.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	44811  

Old 09-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #25

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Some interesting things, especially the Nick Jackson stern davits.

A more detailed question. We've currently got a 9' RIB on simple St Croix davits on a 39' boat. This setup works well. It does obstruct the swim platform and (severely) limits flexibility running the stern lines. However, it has the major benefit of being quick and simple for one person to launch or recover the dinghy - something we do almost every day.

In thinking about the next boat (50-feet or so) we see they almost all carry their tenders on the cabin top/boat deck with a crane. But we've also seen more than a few folks have trouble handling that setup - needing 2 people, and still having the tender swing frantically even in relatively protected harbors. And should a wake hit at the wrong moment...

What are the tricks to having and operating a boat deck/crane system that is simple and safe, and ideally single-handed?
danderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
What are the tricks to having and operating a boat deck/crane system that is simple and safe, and ideally single-handed?

Make sure the crane arm swings easily and practice.

I launch and retrieve ours all the time by myself. It's not like I have to because I'm single handing. If the admiral is busy with the dogs, or guests, or whatever, it's not a challenge to do it myself.

with dogs on board we launch the skiff at least twice a day. Once at lunch and once when we anchor in the afternoon.

I often take the dogs for a potty break while fishing. I can pull into a cove, drop the anchor, launch the skiff, potty the dogs, stow the skiff, pull the anchor, and get back underway in less than 45 minutes without rushing.

What we do is leave the crane attached to the skiff, and in calm weather we just tie the nose of the skiff down using a ratchet strap. That makes the whole process really quick.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
If you are relying on a dinghy to be your blue water life raft (it isn't one, but that's a whole 'nother debate), you typically want it mounted high, as you want to stay with the big boat as long as possible. When one's boat is sinking, the first activities (and instincts) are usually focused around finding and stopping the leak, issuing Maydays, activating the EPIRB and DSC, grabbing safety gear.

Personally, having cruised boats with stern davits, dinghies deployed from trunk cabins via a boom, and finally using a davit for a dinghy on a boat deck, I really came to like the latter. Out of the way, easy to work on and clean. The boat has to be designed for it though. I'd say stern mounts are our least favorite, the thing can get sooted up due to the station wagon effect, you can't just stop the boat or do a lunch hook and take a swim easily. It all depends on the boat and how you use the dinghy and what kind of dinghy.

We usually didn't deploy it in bad conditions because we didn't want to use it in bad conditions. But with lines attached when necessary to maneuver it around, fenders deployed, it can be done and kept under control, being mindful of the danger in being out on the boat deck. The biggest struggles for us come more from strong currents and pulling it into position as a result.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Those with Nick Jackson davits what is the approx cost without installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-planing View Post
Nick Jackson stern davit. Allows single handed, easy, safe launch of a heavy center console dink (per OP specification) in a narrow slip with boats on either side. Not a fan of side launching heavy dinks from the roof, particularly in rough water.

Attachment 44772
Marlinmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #29
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40

On the boat deck, 12 volt winches up and down in 5 min.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Not sure about the foredeck method...where do all the girls go???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	44910  
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #31
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Thats why we love BAKER!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #32
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
A little forethought in the design of our MOB system left us with three options to store the dinghy.... mounted up on the original boat-deck location, on twin Kato davits mounted aft on the boat-deck, or soon to be undermounted Weaver-style tilt units on the newly built swim platform.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GEDC0011.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	44916   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0002.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	44917  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Larry: We can't wait. Any updated pictures? I'll probably need the sunnies?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #34
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Larry: We can't wait. Any updated pictures? I'll probably need the sunnies?
Save the sunnies, Larry. I assume you are talking about the undermounts for the swim platform. Complaints about stubbing toes had me questioning the surface mounts like Weaver. I'll fab a pair of detachable mounts that hold to the brackets underneath so when we are pudging around from anchorage to anchorage....we'll have a plop and go system. I'll publish the photos when I get around to the fab.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote