Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #41
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
On the tuna sport fishing boat I was on, they used Livingston's when a really large yellowfin tuna would get too far away from the boat. They would put you and a crew guy in one with a portable radio, hopefully before you ran out of line on your reel, and off you would go. If you landed it, you came back with it strapped to the side of the boat. I did a 203 lb fish that way, very stable and powered well with a small outboard. I would hate to carry one back to the water at low tide though.

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #42
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I first saw the Rigid Boat 2-years ago at the Stuart, FL boat show. I got so excited about it I called the Admiral to come to the show to see it. By the time she arrived, I had negotiated the whole deal including a couple of modifications.
The first thing she wanted to know was the price.

So, now we have a Whaler. Happy wife, happy life...right?

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
Ha! You should have brought it home and surprised her with it. Ya know, when I die I just hope my wife doesn't try to sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

The Whaler is a great little boat. I have an 11' and a Montauk. But that Rigid is the best dingy ever. Even though it's a little pricey.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 AM   #44

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Two things I noticed regarding using one of the Rigid Boats tiller models as a dinghy... EXPENSIVE & HEAVY!

Bullfrog boats looks like a great choice!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #45
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
All dinghies have some strengths and weaknesses. Really may depend just how you use one more than anything.

As to the longevity and daintyness of inflatables.... same with rigid ones. I have a 25 year old Avon where the tubes have never been punctured and still hold air just fine. There are 2 holes in the floor from me being stupid and pulling them up on a dock where nail heads caught it. Would not have happened to a RIB. Some hard dinghies if neglected will suffer their own issues.

I prefer hard dinghies to a point also...but for me and the boat I have now...switching to a RIB I think is in the cards.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
All dinghies have some strengths and weaknesses. Really may depend just how you use one more than anything.

This kind of sums it up. But that said, I'm on team inflatable. Protect the big boat. Purchase a modest price one so you can replace it if need be. Hard dinghys can leak too. Especially if the are two layered hull then the water seeps into the sandwich portion and makes the dinghy incredible heavy. We had one like that. It would no longer plane until we fixed the hole and towing it would put unecs stress on boat and dinghy.

Another point for the inflatables which I don't think I read already, but if it gets really calm at night at anchor, when that hard dinghy sneaks up and hits your hull, it WILL wake you up.
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #47
Guru

See the big fender? That's home port for the Whaler when tied to the side of the mothership. One fender = no dings and no noise. When we load items, just hand them over the side; easy. We do not tie off from the stern. If we want to board from the swim step we simply walk it around. Also the perfect position to lower the cable from the crane to lift it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	38197  
Old 03-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #48
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
See the big fender? That's home port for the Whaler when tied to the side of the mothership. One fender = no dings and no noise. When we load items, just hand them over the side; easy. We do not tie off from the stern. If we want to board from the swim step we simply walk it around. Also the perfect position to lower the cable from the crane to lift it.
To complicated!

We use the ball shaped fenders when we tie the big dink up to the mother ship.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Quote:
Looks good for a calm anchorage, but in a rough anchorage or one where current and wind give you any chop occasionally on beam, not ideal. Plus, there is a bigger gap to step over
Old 03-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #50
Guru

OMG. We can't get a concensus about anything. I've been curtailing my true sentiments for a long time. Now I'm going to tell you (or y'all) like it is:

The Whaler is the best dinghy for everybody
I tie it up in the perfect place
Only buy Garmin
My generator is perfect and I'll run it whenever I please
My anchor is the only kind to have
My anchor chain is the right size
The brand of oil I use is the only one you should use
Volvo engines are....oh never mind
All sailors are future trawler owners
Obama is a great president and history will prove me right

Discuss!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	38198  
Old 03-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Quote:
OMG. We can't get a concensus about anything.
Cold beer at a calm anchorage?
Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #52
Guru

Some will want "whine."
Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #53

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Now I am confused. What is the difference between a dink and a tender? Some of the dinks look more like a tender to me.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #54
Guru

I think a dink is usually quite small and tiller steered (or rowed). A tender is larger and is usually wheel steered. A tender can be small such as a Whaler or a center console RIB,or quite large depending on the size of the mothership. Cruise ships have tenders that can hold 80 or more passengers, a megayacht might have a 27 foot speedboat as a tender. Anyway, that's what I think. (BTW, both dinks and tenders should have an anchor).

Howard
Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #55
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
On Algae I through bolted a couple of eye-bolts at mid-ship -- one on each side. That way, when I come into the swim platform I can simply snap her to Seaweed. She's hooked at the closest possible place and unloading is a cinch.

Mine's a beater, but with the fenders along both sides it's all good. I'd like to put a couple more at the bow but then the numbers would be covered so have refrained.

She would at tide change come up and clunk the swim platform. That's when I started hooking her from the davit. It places her back a couple feet and she cannot bump Seaweed.

Ideally, I'd tuck her up on the swim platform -- she fits. BUT, then I would not have a way to re-board the boat as she (Algae) would block the swim steps. I'm still pondering that -- and may (using Marlinspike) create a rope ladder that can hang from one of my cleats in the cockpit. I'd like the dink out of the water so I won't have to scrape barnacles.

I've tried block and tackle (a double with, and one without becket) but there's not quite enough purchase for me to haul up the boat. I'm not certain a pair of triples would do it though an engineer told me it would suffice.

The other option is to use something *similar* to Weaver Davits... I've got extended U-bolts at the transom of Algae and the boat she came off of had a pair of gizmos on the swim deck that looked almost like pelican clips but I've not seen anything similar.

Scotty hooked the transom U-bolts to the swim deck and then had a double block and used it to totally lift the bow until it was vertical. I want that -- if I can find it. And it's not Weaver.

In all that spare time of mine I've moved the doggone dinghy innumerable times trying to figure out a way to get her out of the water, especially when underway.

This is my set-up:

Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #56
Guru

I`m looking at a set of poor mans davits, on Inflatable Boats inflatable boat products dinghy paint and parts and accessories. Consists of 2 ss incomplete hoops which rotate on a base bolted to the swim step. You bring the inflatable dinghy to the stern, sideways, swing the hoops down, the dinghy tubes on one side are captured in the hoops, pull on lines attached to the top of the hoops, dinghy swings to vertical and gets tied off using the lines. Seems simple, may block access somewhat to the transom steps(no door). Pics on website are of it fitted to an IG32. It appeals as an easy fix.
Edit: Janice, Seaweed looks even cuter in your pic posted with the dinghy.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:43 AM   #57
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post
cold beer at a calm anchorage?
check!!!
Drake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #58
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
This is my set-up:

This photo speaks volumes as to your life style. My hat is off to you!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
I think my Rigid is 650 lbs and handled fine with my 1000# Davit. My boat does not notice the weight when loaded just like it does not notice if three guys would be standing there. It also has a big rubber like rub rail so does not damage the mothership upon loading or when tied up alongside. And I usually use a couple fenders as well which works with no issues. It is seriously not a problem. It performs better than a rib, I can stand on the tubes and I don't have to fill / adjust air when the weather changes.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #60
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I like Janices' set up!

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote