Dinghy decision 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I strapped my 2-stroke Merc 15 onto my 11 ft Costco $500 PVC dink. It's well suited for the boat and runs like a champ.

While I'd love a 4-stroke, center console, the weight and davit complexity/expense keeps me from upgrading. I like being able to single-hand without towing. This setup meets all my needs with ease.

Attachments

• 20190803_105552.jpg
    20190803_105552.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I strapped my 2-stroke Merc 15 onto my 11 ft Costco $500 PVC dink. It's well suited for the boat and runs like a champ.

While I'd love a 4-stroke, center console, the weight and davit complexity/expense keeps me from upgrading. I like being able to single-hand without towing. This setup meets all my needs with ease.

Love the TF Burgee strapped to the fuel can spout...!!! :thumb:

It's only been there a few days but it's gotten a few compliments. No one could see it on my FB and I can't get rid of my windsock.

It makes for a conversation piece is nothing else.

SE boaters would more likely pull bales of pot out of the water with those things. But, you are talking about traps, right? Is there a pix of a dink with one or two of these mounted? They look almost too big to lift my dink.

Not my boat. It’s a 13’ whaler with a Scotty pot puller. Used for prawn and crab pots. Very handy.

IMG_1679.jpg

Not my boat. It’s a 13’ whaler with a Scotty pot puller. Used for prawn and crab pots. Very handy.

View attachment 91996

I used to have a Scotty Puller.

Ace pot pullers pulls up a lot faster and handle more weight.

The drum in the Scotty is too small and slips too much.

The drum on the Ace is larger diameter and the narrow groove on the drum and the tensioning system grips the rope, reducing slip.

And with Aces hands free kit, less involvement from user required holding tension on the rope as it comes up.

And the boom is taller and longer making trap handling easier.

Full disclosure: I am an ACE pot puller dealer.

4 vs 2 stroke

I went with Honda 15 hp. Very quiet.
My RIB (West Marine 310) is aluminum. A bit more $, but lighter.
My davits (Kato) are manual lift, so weight was a consideration.
The tiller is inconvenient.

Back
Top Bottom