Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: FORT LAUDERDALE,FL
Vessel Name: ARIE
Vessel Model: 2000 43ft SELENE/SOLO
Dinghy davit winch

I find that my system of lifting my dinghy onto the boat (trawler) is a bit difficult.
Dinghy is a West Marine "Classic Dinghy" (about 100 pounds) with a 6hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard (about 60 Pounds). the 4 part falls I am using is difficult to lift the dinghy up to the "boat deck". The boat is a 40ft Trawler, and the dinghy is carried up on the roof of the cabinhouse. The davits are arrainged 10 feet apart on the port side of the boat, about 10 feet off the water.
I am considering the following to help me along:
1) Changing the 4 part falls to a 6 part.
2) Adding a hand cranked winch(like a trailer winch)at the davit that lifts the stern end of the dinghy.
3) Adding an electric winch, using Dyneema line on the davit that lifts the stern end of the dinghy.
(The bow end of the dinghy is not a problem to haul up with the 4 part falls)

What is the consensus of the learned minds of this forum as to the direction to go?

Does anyone have suggestions of how to attach the winch (hand cranked or electric) to the davit? (About 2 in diameter stainless steel pipe) Consider that I would not want to weld it in place initially, until I have proven the system. Once proven, welding would be OK.

Avitar pic shows the boat without the dinghy aboard
MERIDIAN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I had 4 part lines on either side of my dinghy davits also. Wife couldn’t handle them so I converted them to twin 900 lb. hand crank winches and Amsteel Grey 5400 lb. line. Attachment is simply by using SS u-bolt clamps on to the davit’s tubular frame. This was meant to be a temporary setup, but it proved to be simple, strong and reliable as is. The Admiral can crank up the 100 lb. dinghy with no strain now, even manageable with the 9.9 outboard and two part line on that side. I also converted the swinging crane boom to the same hand winch. All this is to keep the system simple and easy to maintain. Be aware the hand winches of this type have no brake. You must crank the load up and down as well as operate the dog-style of gear lock to hold the load when suspended. I would not recommend using them for anything but light loads or perhaps reeling in (not lifting) a man overboard. It is easy to control the weights we now have, but even so, we use sail type rope clutches on each line. The eventual plan was to add a 12V pinion type hoist to the crane boom with its own on board battery and solar panel. I’ll see if I can remember to get photos of the setup tomorrow.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Our SS Simpson Laurence davits came with cranks in each tower at the turn of the davit.

Winch cranking is a snap , even for kids.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: FORT LAUDERDALE,FL
Vessel Name: ARIE
Vessel Model: 2000 43ft SELENE/SOLO
Dinghy davit winch

FF,
Could you post some pictures Please?
MERIDIAN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Friend of mine went to Harbor Freight and picked up an inexpensive electric winch with a 6 foot cord for the remote control. He used stainless steel u-bolts to bolt it to the davit arm over the stern of the dinghy. The bow is still lifted with the standard 4 part line. He just runs an extension cord out to the davit when he needs to use it and it works great.
JohnEasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I use the 2500 pound Harbor Frieght ATV winch also, just be advised it has no brake.... so drum line diameter is important as is a mechanical fastening for the dink.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
My davits came with 6 part falls (three sheaves T&B), and jam cleats. OK for the light end; insufficient for the engine end. I added an Anderson 10 hand-cranked winch. Adequate: clumsy; and not easy.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
FF
Guru

Simpsom Laurence series 8 davit, mine are older but similar.

http://www.cooneymarine.co.uk/PDF/Series-8-Davits.pdf
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
3 speed trailer winch at either end of ours on 1:1 spectra lifting 780 lbs
One end easy, motor end needs lowest speed and some grunt
No electrics to fail
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Guru

Here are the photos I promised. Winches are clamped to tubular frame on each davit. I have One clamp actually behind one of the web tubes, but the winch hasn’t moved in three years of holding the load, so...

Typically there is a Caribe 9 and a 9.9 Merc mounted, but Irma blew out two of the three chambers on the Caribe when it was trapped between the stern and some Mangrove bushes. Using a single line of Amsteel 5400 lb. grey is all that’s necessary for easy cranking, but the line should be wound on to the drum on the side closest to the davit tube. This produces less leverage on the mountings and the bulk of the force parallel with the davit arm. Since the photo, I’ve added line clutches.
Attached Thumbnails
ECF5CC8D-CFE6-4EA8-8234-B234E60F7898.jpg  

Old 03-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Guru

Close up.
Attached Thumbnails
A68969DA-5B89-41AD-B2E9-981A80A1ABCB.jpg  

Old 03-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Here’s my solution

I thought I would share my David, which I cobbled together from two others.

The crank comes from a weaver vertical David hoist system. When traveling, I use two ratchet straps to fasten the top of the David to eye rings I had made for the stern. I use a drill with a half inch socket to quickly raise and lower the dink. When traveling much of the dinks weight rests on the swim platform. Dink is a west marine 350. I can be out of the water in literally less than a minute.
Attached Thumbnails
7F262224-1701-46C9-8EED-F934562E1B01.jpg   59722CBC-AFA1-4D4A-ACC6-C1D1FC39A5D9.jpg   7A5EB075-E106-4E22-BDD9-1ECB84C18E35.jpg  
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote