Dinghy Bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Island15

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Missy
Vessel Make
CHB
Do you need antifouling paint on the bottom? Its never in the water more than a day of two at a time! Thanks

Even a couple of weeks only needs a wipe with a sponge and no permanent growth. 4 weeks is definitely too much time, as the cleanup is much more challenging.

I did apply anti-fouling to the immersed glass parts of my dinghy but not to the hypalon parts. So far, that paint has lasted 3 summers and when I redo it it will be due to grinding it off on beaching not because the anti-fouling properties have stopped working. So far, I haven't seen any need to apply it to the hypalon parts.

I was just thinking the fiberglass part. I would like to just leave the normal paint no antifouling. I think it looks better, but I wanted to make sure it would clean up ok! Thanks

In some areas, 4 days is enough for the hard critters to take hold over all of the fiberglass and even the tubes. since that experience, I never leave mine in the water more than two days without at least pulling it out overnight.

sort of depends where you cruise...but there are also waxes that act like antifouling in the sense that growth has a harder time attaching and come off when running fast or wipe off easier.

I made the mistake once of leaving my RIB in the water at my slip for a few weeks. I ended up with a lot of barnacles on the bottom which were a pain to get off. After that I always pull the RIB out of the water when it isn't being used. While we are cruising, I don't bother as it gets moved daily.

I would certainly try it without bottom paint. If you decide you do need bottom paint, be sure you use one that doesn't have a limited life out of the water. Interlux Micron Extra might be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom