Different Strokes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Casual observation; I was sitting on the sun deck the other day, enjoying a warm sunny afternoon and got to thinkin’ about these two boats parked across the waterway. I thought their designs were so 180 degrees that surely their owners must have significantly contrasting lifestyles also. Maybe not. KJ

1429-albums131-picture577.jpg

Ken, I captain both styles of boats routinely.
The one on the left plays louder music. The one on the right has to stop often to walk the dog. :blush:

The one on the left has a wife that looks great in a Bikini. The one on the right has an Admiral.

The boat on the left has an owner with more than one non-military tattoo, often embarrasses his parents, drinks gallons of cheap beer, and plots a course that purposely rocks nearby boats. :censored::speed boat:
The boat on the right is owned by his parents...who appreciate good dark German beer! :thumb:

The boat on the left has an owner with more than one non-military tattoo, often embarrasses his parents, drinks gallons of cheap beer, and plots a course that purposely rocks nearby boats. :censored::speed boat:
The boat on the right is owned by his parents...who appreciate some quality wine :thumb:

Corrected

If throwing a big wake, the boat on the left will never coordinate a close-by pass. The boat on the right, however, will coordinate 2 percent of the time.

232323232%7Ffp7348%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D39495%3A4%3A92336nu0mrj

One who did:

232323232%7Ffp73499%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C68845336nu0mrj

I suppose it is easier for a 12-knot boat to slow to six knots as compared to a 20-plus-knot boat.

Last edited:
The one on the left is fast and comfortable. The one on the right is, well, comfortable.

After 1600 miles at 7.5kts, I can confirm that the old maxim, “it’s not when you get there, it’s how you get there”, does not always hold true. Having to find your alternate anchorage because the first one sucked, with maybe two hours of daylight, or trying to make it to the harbor before that black line in the sky hits you, is pretty good rationale for being able to run at 20-25 kts.

Besides, sometimes even for us old farts, “fast is fun”. KJ

When the one on the left pulls up to the fuel dock, the attendant rushes out to help. When the one on the right pulls up, the attendant asks "You don't need any help do you?"

The one on the left also has every marine repair service within 100 miles on speed dial. The one on the right knows where the nearest low-price, good service chandlery is and calls the owner by his first name.

The one on the left thinks time is money. The one on the right trades time for money.

I'm still on the left at this point in life but gradually pulling to the right.

Left: Happy with a couple hours close to the marina.

Right: Happy with a couple weeks (months) to explore new waters.

Great thread,
As some of you know we went from the boat on the right..to the boat on the left.
The fast boat was fun for the last 2 1/2 years..we really could make tracks.
This week we went back to the right..sold the fast boat and the next day bought another trawler.
The new boat will need a major overhaul but projects are my thing..the fast boat never needed anything but fuel and wax.
I am also happy to report no new tatoo's or gold chains during ownership of the go fast sled.
Both have their place and time
Any one interested in a box of muscle shirts and a case of hair gel?
:socool:
HOLLYWOOD

Had the boat on the left for past 9 season and enjoyed the ability to see a lot of Puget Sound and the Gulf Island on my three day weekends and two week vacations while employed. Sold the lefty and now going into retirement I'm shopping for the one on the right. When time is not limited the boat on the right seems to make sense. I hope you are right Hollywood, both have their time and place.

We call the boat on the left "Floaters". Used as a week-end party barge, with occasional runs to the marinas near the downtown bars. The one on the right is a "Boater", goes out cruising, looking for the quiet anchorage while enjoying the trip. We have both on our dock, and we get along nicely with both sets of people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom