Old 06-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #21
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Join the Defever cruisers club for a measley $25 a year there are a ton of 44 owners who will help answer your concerns.
Good thought. I'm actually coming up on my first anniversary. I've found some very helpful people there, but the forum isn't as active as this one and a couple of my questions (not about this subject) haven't been answered. Their archives are great.

After the feedback I got here and from the diesel mechanic who surveyed my engines, I'm comfortable that the ratio difference is trivial and won't cause an issue.

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Good thought. I'm actually coming up on my first anniversary. I've found some very helpful people there, but the forum isn't as active as this one and a couple of my questions (not about this subject) haven't been answered. Their archives are great.

After the feedback I got here and from the diesel mechanic who surveyed my engines, I'm comfortable that the ratio difference is trivial and won't cause an issue.
It will be interesting to see if the fuel usage or engine loads are different between the two engines. Please report that when known.

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: WYC, Port Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: Bonaventure
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
"Singing" usually means something a prop does regardless of gear ratio and should have nothing to do with your transmissions. Singing is caused by the shape of the leading edge of the blade and/or certain water flow conditions at a certain RPM, and is easly corrected. Even a new propeller can "sing" under certain conditions.

The transmission ratios are so close, as has been mentioned, I would not consider it a problem. Did your engine guy set your tachs? If not, the "difference" in RPM may just be in the tachs themselves.
Sorry for jumping in but how do you set your tachs? I didn't know there was an adjustment?

Rduval is offline   Reply With Quote