Old 03-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Difference between a Mainship 34 and 40

All,

Been shopping for a Mainship 40, which I've found is a nice basic boat, which is easy to own and has a lot of value for the dollar. Probably one of the most popular boats on the loop.

Lately the 34 has come to mind and seems very similar, except one stateroom, and a bit smaller salon. However seems like the exterior space in the cockpit and the aft flybridge area is about the same for storing toys like kayaks and dinghies.

It also has the nice "straight" stairs and nice helm stations.

In addition, the twin version moves along pretty good in the low 20 knot range, yet still gets excellent economy at slow speeds, and drafts about 8 inches less, which is HUGE for me.

What am I missing?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #2

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
All,

Been shopping for a Mainship 40, which I've found is a nice basic boat, which is easy to own and has a lot of value for the dollar. Probably one of the most popular boats on the loop.

Lately the 34 has come to mind and seems very similar, except one stateroom, and a bit smaller salon. However seems like the exterior space in the cockpit and the aft flybridge area is about the same for storing toys like kayaks and dinghies.

It also has the nice "straight" stairs and nice helm stations.

In addition, the twin version moves along pretty good in the low 20 knot range, yet still gets excellent economy at slow speeds, and drafts about 8 inches less, which is HUGE for me.

What am I missing?

6 feet

Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #3

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
6 feet
Actually 1' 11".
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
As Danderer notes above, the dimensional differences between the 34T and 40 are rather minimal. From the main bulkhead aft, ie the main salon, aft cockpit, and the flybridge have essentially the same dimensions. That is why both have lots of room in these areas.

But the 34 moves at the low 20 kts? It might hit 20 at wot with no gear and fluids, but the real world cruising speed is about 15 kts.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #5

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Actually 1' 11".
Well, silly of me to think a Mainship 34 was 34 feet and a Mainship 40 was 40 feet
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
This is a great resource to compare boats:

PowerBoat Guide - | Denison Yacht Sales

Select the drop down for Mainship, then locate the models you're comparing. I'll do it separate tabs so I can go back and forth between models.

The 350, 390, and 34T are very, very similar models. If you like more salon/saloon space, the newer model 34T with the galley down is great. However there is only a single stateroom. The 350/390 (350 preceeded the 390) have the galley up, but a second stateroom. (350 has a double in the guest berth, 390 has twins).

The 400 is a bigger boat, though very similar to the three above. It includes a larger galley (up) and a settee. Beam is relatively the same on all 4 boats. The 400 is a tad longer.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Guru

That Powerboat Guide is a great resource. It doesn't show them all as it seems to be mostly American built boats.

David
Old 03-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
Guru

Thanks all,

The power boat guide is good, but must be tempered with the fact that some boats are way more popular or numerous than others, and it doesn't show that. The 34, 35, 39 and 40 are all very similar, but significant improvements in the 40 and the 34 in later models, but a bit hard to get that info. There's also an earlier 35 diesel cruiser, that looks like the later 34 but very significant difference. And a lot of other Mainships listed that just aren't a lot of them.

But looking at the 34 (sometimes called the 34T), made from 2005 to 09 is very similar to the 40 and has most of the same refinements. What I like is the 34 is a fair amount lighter and has better cruise numbers, both hi and low speed. But the sacrifice is the extra stateroom (which I don't need), and perhaps a smaller salon which I also don't need. But seems like the cockpit and the upper space behind the fly bridge is the same, which I like.

I also like the ~$50K price difference.

I also like the smaller draft at 3'4" which is a big deal for us.

What I don't like is the "sunken" galley and smaller fridge, which is a huge deal. The sunken galley is "out of the focal point" and the chef is in the background. So I need to see if we can deal with that.

Question for those that have one.....
Is the bed in the stateroom the same with the lousy overhead cut short so it's hard to sit up without banging your head?

Overall, it has my interest.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
...Question for those that have one.....
Is the bed in the stateroom the same with the lousy overhead cut short so it's hard to sit up without banging your head?...
Can`t say for Mainship, but on my boat, you bump your head once maybe twice and develop a memory, saving further laceration.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
We love our 34. If is truly a 2 person Boat but very comfy for 2.
Link in my Signature has some improvement projects I've done. We find the galley a plus. Open to the saloon for conversations...open and light...easy to hand stuff between while some clutter out of sight.
We swappedsofa bed for 2 recliners as the sofa bad wasn't very comfortable for seating...pics on the linked site.
Happy to answer any questions.
We are the hardtop version so can't comment on bridge.
Aft cockpit is ample for 2 deck chairs + guest seating on Cooper and/or aft Storage compartments.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Bed is good size...ample headroom seated and comfortable...only complaint was no shelves for misc small articles...book...glasses...drink..clock. I fixed that by adding port & std shelves.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
TF Site Team

We have the 2 drawer fridge and think it holds more / better access than the conventional Door type. We do use a 5 day cooler for drinks & ice on extended cruises.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
We have the 2 drawer fridge and think it holds more / better access than the conventional Door type. We do use a 5 day cooler for drinks & ice on extended cruises.

Bacchus,

That's good to know, thx!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
TF Site Team

MS 34T Fwd Cabin Shelves

I had a request for pics of the shelves I built for the Fwd Cabin -

I will eventually get around to adding it to the projects on the "Bacchus" web link below. Attached is a draft of the write-up w/ pics.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fwd Cabin Shelves.pdf (219.3 KB, 142 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
Guru

Don: Great job on the shelves. I too wished we had shelves when we had our 34T. Oddly the Pilot 34 we bought to replace her when we moved to the East Coast does have shelves, just like you added. $$$$ decision by MS no doubt.

To the OP:

For a couple, the 34T is darn near perfect. Essentially the same salon, cockpit and fly bridge space as the 400 but $50+K cheaper and four thousand pounds lighter.

Even with twin 240 Yanmars I don't think that you can really go that fast in the 400. 14 kts is probably the limit on cruising speed.

The galley down in the 34T is of course a personal preference. Since 90% of our meals are cooked outside on a grill it is mostly irrelevant to us. It gives you a huge main cabin. The fridge is definitely limiting, no question. I looked at where I could put a bigger one on ours and struck out.

David
Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #16

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
If you're over 6', you'll hang off the end of the bed a bit, and you'll have to be pretty cozy with your partner.

And the 34T is definitely a 6-4-2 boat; drink 6, feed 4, sleep 2.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #17

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I had a request for pics of the shelves I built for the Fwd Cabin
Very nice. One more for my to-do list.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJohn View Post
If you're over 6', you'll hang off the end of the bed a bit, and you'll have to be pretty cozy with your partner.

And the 34T is definitely a 6-4-2 boat; drink 6, feed 4, sleep 2.
Hanging off the end of the bed is not my idea of comfort, and I'm 6ft. Lady is barely 5'2" so getting close is no big deal (actually, pretty nice).

Is the Bed in the 40 the same size as the 34? I found the 40 barely enough.

Thx for answers.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #19

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I think the bed on the 390, 34T and 400 are all the same. I am 6' and just fit in our 390. Head clearance is an issue on the 390. Not sure about the others. There is less than 2' overall length on all 3 models. The last few 34T's built were called 395 and had a galley up with a stateroom below the galley just like the 350/390 and 400.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
I think the bed on the 390, 34T and 400 are all the same. I am 6' and just fit in our 390. Head clearance is an issue on the 390. Not sure about the others. There is less than 2' overall length on all 3 models. The last few 34T's built were called 395 and had a galley up with a stateroom below the galley just like the 350/390 and 400.
John
Johnma,

That's interesting, haven't seen any 395s, are they more like the 400?

I really like the galley up, but not a deal killer. Also like a large aft flybridge for toys, etc, but they all seem to do well on that.

I could easily live with the 34 without a second stateroom, a bit lighter, less draft and a bit more economical. However, it's probably small potatoes in the whole scheme. But can anyone tell me the EXACT draft on a 34, from actually measuring it? I'm getting different number. 34 at 3'3", and 40 at 3'8" to 4'.

Behind my house I have my 280 Sundancer which draws 3'3" drives down and I can get it out any time (if off the lift) even at really low tides. If it were 4', I'm sure it would be an issue.... so a rather big deal.

The 34 also carries less gas, water and holding.... not sure if that would be an issue.

Keep the info coming. I like that the 34 is significantly less $.