Diesel Outboard, Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diesel out boards on the go for over 30 years, DOF used them on the east coast in trial runs, were expensive had gas been more expensive at the time, i would guess they would have stayed the program, but discontinued it, the horse power was also low 60 hp at the time when most manufacturing were in creasing the hp ratings, 90 100 150 and up
Several company's out there moving diesel outboards Yanmar, Klaxon best known and a few Chinese units with good ratings. Military use them the most Be nice to have only one fuel on board for all you needs .
Have a great day.
Eugene & Anita

I've been wondering whats been burning holes in my pockets, I know now.

Why is that?

Plenty of boats have gas fuel tanks in greater capacity than the TT35.
What is the difference between the fuel tank installation on the TT35 vs. most other boats?

The tank on a TT35 has gasoline in it and not diesel.

The tank on a TT35 has gasoline in it and not diesel.

Pump out the gasoline, couple gallons of diesel, pump that out and then, fill with diesel. Any gasoline will be un-noticed to the diesel. Some folks add a bit of gasoline to reduce the viscosity of the diesel in extreme cold climate.

Some folks add a bit of gasoline to reduce the viscosity of the diesel in extreme cold climate.

For those of us with far north experience, I'd say no. But the best and brightest on TF with current far north big diesel knowledge is Northern Spy. Maybe he'll comment.

What’s the better option? I’ve talked to both at the workboat show last December and Miami this year. They both claim they’re starting production mid year 2020 but I can’t seem to locate anyone that’s actually dealt with either of them.

https://www.coxmarine.com/the-engine/

https://www.oxe-diesel.com/Products/OXE-300

Same here, and I would be mighty interested in doing so. Recently I learned that Cox Marine, a manufacturer operating in the UK, has their engine certified by the U.S. EPA as Tier 3 compliant, and has signed Ring Power here in Florida as a distributor. Ring is well-known to boaters as one of the region's major dealers for Caterpillar (among other lines), so their affiliation sprinkles some credibility into the conversation. Still, I view the 300 hp Cox V-8 diesel outboard warily. Cox's own literature calls it a "complex" assemblage weighing over 800#.

Good feedback Blissboat. I‘Ve thought the same about Ring but Cox has done a good job marketing and presenting a “Product” It makes me wonder if they can actually deliver on that. Time will tell if it delivers but aside from the complexity of a new, unproven, raw water cooled motor I also have my doubts about the lower unit. We all know the outdrives have always had a hard time dealing with the torque of a diesel. I can’t see a single prop lower unit from a 1st time manufacture having mastered this challenge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom