Old 08-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Diesel Fuel Additives

When do you use a diesel additive? And what products do you use?

I've been up and down on this and because of a lot of activity, I have chosen not to use additives. However, my usage over the next 6 months or so will be minimal so should I use an additive?

Yanmar
Old 08-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
What does Yanmar say?

Caterpillar say use one when one of their fuel specs aren't met. Seems only logical compared to all the guessing by internet commandos.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use Archoil AR6200 and have been for several years. I always add it when fueling and found it keeps fuel safe for at least a year of non use. Although that's not the main reason I use it. See attached. And I get somewhere around 6-10% better fuel economy. You can buy it online at archoil.com, amazon or eBay. Also at better marine stores,but much more expensive.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR6200-compressed.pdf (1.61 MB, 102 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Paul,

Yanmar is silent of additives, however, we see that often with products that are 10 or 20 years old, and technology changes and there's better products out there.

Just wondering if there's something out there that should be considered.

I've seen that change in aviation fuel/oil additives.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I use Technol 403 summer fuel conditioner with every fillup. No smoking at all on my 4800 hr DD’s even at start up. I use it to improve lubricity since the ULSD is not as slippery as the old stuff.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
For fifteen-plus years I've been satisfied with Power Service Diesel Kleen. They claim it increases cetane, helps clean injectors, and lubricates the fuel pumping machinery. (Note that it does not prevent low-temperature gelling - they have an alternative product for cold climates, which I don't need). https://powerservice.com

Widely available at truck stops and Wal-Mart. Last week my local Advance Auto Parts store had a good discount on the 32 oz. jug.

My observations: fuel consumption is reduced, exhaust produces less smoke and soot, and cold starts are easier. I feel like the engine is more responsive, but that's hard to quantify. The stuff smells awful, but otherwise no negatives to report.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
Guru

Used Power Service Diesel Kleen in both my Ford truck and Ford Lehman on the boat.....never noticed one bit of difference now and have used it on and off for 18 years.

Have had the boat injectors out multiple times. Still deposits and still smoke.

But no performance differences with or without....especially increased economy.

All I can say is try it or any conditioner as it doesn't seem to me to good or bad....that is unless you have a specific issue to improve...and then use the correct treatment.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #8

City: Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
It appears that most of these positive responses come from folks that have been using additives for a number of years.

That raises my question. Is there any special consideration to using a diesel additive on a new to you boat? Say you buy a 20+yo boat with a diesel with 2500+hrs. Do you just all of a sudden start using an additive? Pros\Cons??
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #9
Guru

Positive responses from long term users of course are common.

People who use them "long enough" to see any effect and there is none...then why would they keep using them?

Convinced users are going to continue to use them long term because they are "convinced".... pretty common in many aspects of life.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
It depends upon your engine makers requirement for fuel lubricity to keep the injection pump alive. In my case the DD’s were designed over 50 years ago when the properties of diesel fuel were very different to today’s ULSD. An additive is needed to replace the slipperiness removed when the sulphur was removed. Since the fuel is all that lubricates the injector pump and injectors it needs to have a certain minimum lubrication ability.

It’s not a blanket yes or no, you have to do some research. And I don’t mean just asking an Internet forum.......

BTW the previous owner used diesel kleen and I switched to Technol a year ago, since then there is no longer any smoke at start up of a cold engine like before.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
I use Stanadyne Lubricity fuel treatment because the new fuels are ultra low sulphur and that decreases the lubrication in the engine overall. Do I notice a difference? Yes.......I sleep better.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I used whatever the manufacturer (in my case Detroit) recommended, which was nothing. If the fuel dock used ValvTec, I had no issue with that. Modern diesel fuels have lubricity additives.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #13
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I have been using Biobar for over 40 years and I can testify that I have never broke a ring, sucked a valve, run up on the rocks, been arrested, never replaced an engine and never ran into another boat so I’m convinced it is good stuff.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
I have been using Biobar for over 40 years and I can testify that I have never broke a ring, sucked a valve, run up on the rocks, been arrested, never replaced an engine and never ran into another boat so I’m convinced it is good stuff.

If I could get someone like Watfa to look after me...I would use EVERY additive...
Old 08-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Scott

She’s available, just support her and feed her and she’s yours.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #16
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I've never used additives with Detroits or Cummins, with no ill effects.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: West Jordan, UT
Vessel Name: Blue
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R-27
I have been using Howe's Lubricator and anti-gel since my truck was new, some 226,000 miles ago.
It was recommended by a long haul trucker friend.
Billr2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #18
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
My boat PO was using diesel kleen, so I choose to continue with it...
I found some discounted at very cheap price nearby and have enough to serve me for at least the next 5 years considering my fuel usage.
Does it make any difference? No clue.
Why do I use it? Well at the beginning because the PO used it and found it cheap.

My take is that considering my engine this is making no difference. I have a 50+ years old engine that is able to run on anything barely similar to diesel (I read that some folks tried to burn oil and even tranny oil in it) so putting street car diesel in it should be far enough.

Would it be the same with a modern engine, not sure. But as I read somewhere, if it was really useful it would have been added directly to the diesel and considered as a sale argument...

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #19
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Never used anything.
Zero crud in the 2020 racors and none when I drain the crud sump.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Pentiction
Vessel Name: Bluefin
Snake oil, lol
Every one got a favorite, here's mine XM5 out of Saskatchewan, great additive for the engine oil and fuel, transmission and gear boxes, been using it for years no better on the market.
if your wanting to treat your fuel for algae and such Howes Diesel Fuel Conditioning and Anti Gel cant go wrong.
Detroit Diesel, longer you listen to one the quieter it gets!
Ejdakins is offline   Reply With Quote