Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #41
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I use nothing. My fuel generally does not have a long stay in my tanks. Also, the majority of the fuel I use is bought at my marina....which sells Valvtect branded fuel(additives).
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #42
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Baker

I know for a fact that is not true. I have word that some Flor de Cana has made it to your tank.

See you in Ft Pierce.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
It's going to a pretty rare case these days where there are differences in formulation between on and off road fuel, other than the red dye for tax purposes. Ask the truck driver or his company sometime.
My reality is that fuel for my boat is delivered through a pump that has no stickers on it or nearby, so I have no idea of its % of Bio, unlike shoreside pumps that have to display such stickers and usually say "may contain up to...% Bio". You get what the vendor has in the tank, without any choices.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #44
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
You can ask and/or ask to prove based on delivery invoices.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #45
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
My reality is that fuel for my boat is delivered through a pump that has no stickers on it or nearby, so I have no idea of its % of Bio, unlike shoreside pumps that have to display such stickers and usually say "may contain up to...% Bio". You get what the vendor has in the tank, without any choices.
Like Scott said. The fuel that pump dispenses was delivered by a truck owned by a company that services your fuel dock. The owner of the fuel dock should know what is being delivered, and if not, refer you to the fuel company.
And it easy enough to take a fuel sample and send it off to a lab, and see how it lines up with your engine manufacturer's guidelines.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #46
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Know your supplier. I buy from the same fuel delivery service and I and his thousands of customers have confidence in him. I’ve bought fuel in the Bahamas that was rolled down the dock in 55 gallons drums (Baja Filter time).
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #47

City: stuart
For those that want to inspect their fuel tanks through the inspection plate one important trick is to use a red lens flashlight as only red let you see to the bottom through the fuel.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #48
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Baker

I know for a fact that is not true. I have word that some Flor de Cana has made it to your tank.

See you in Ft Pierce.
Yep Hopefully we will make it this year. I was very disappointed in missing it this last year. We shall make it this time!!!

And yes, it is an old pirate's trick!! A little splash of rum in the tanks keeps that funky algae at bay!!! It doesn't kill it....just paralyzes it....
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #49
FF
Guru

"Ask the truck driver or his company sometime.

Some small fuel delivery companies have one tank trucks and deliver house fuel as diesel.Hopefully they change the filter in their yard and on the truck more often."
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Alamitos Bay Marina
Vessel Name: DESTINY
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588 Extend Hull & Hard Top
Big fan AXI AC-705....have used for the last 10 years with NO issues, had issues with other products leaving slung at bottom of tank

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...055&id=3862833
mdstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #51
Guru

City: gulf coast
never used any in decades of running diesels and never had any reason.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Saint George Island, FL
Vessel Name: TRIBE OF G
Vessel Model: ACADIA 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
When do you use a diesel additive? And what products do you use?

I've been up and down on this and because of a lot of activity, I have chosen not to use additives. However, my usage over the next 6 months or so will be minimal so should I use an additive?

Yanmar
BIOBAR at every fill up. Keeps the bugs from growing at the fuel water interface.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #53

City: Fairfax, Va
Vessel Name: Wanderer’s Rest
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48NS
I buy ValveTech fuel which already has the additives mixed in.
Photoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #54

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Diesel Conditioners.

I too use Diesel Power Service Kleen in my 83 Ford 6.9 liter truck and now in my Grand Banks 32 with the 135 Lehman. Through the years, I have gone through periods without any additives and noticed no problems, but I give it the product the benefit of the doubt and use it most of the time. Perhaps far more important is to be very, very fastidious about changing your filters to keep the muck out of the system. Having a trawler that gets almost 4 Nm per gallon, it is easy to end the year (here in MI) with fuel in the tanks that runs over into the next near. Diesel being more stable than gasoline, should not have many problems if it sits for six months, but in the fall and especially when I am out cruising and fill up at various marinas away from home, I use a fuel drier. "Heat" now makes a diesel-compatible product. So, in the fall I do NOT fill tanks completely full to keep condensation down. It just makes for more, older fuel. Instead, I put in half a jug of conditioner in each tank and a couple cans of heat in each side, hopefully keeping the water in solution and then fill up right away in the spring. Also, when cruising and filling up, a couple bottles of Heat in each tank -- you never know who has water in their tanks when go get away from home. And fill up at big marinas that have a lot of business. So far, no problems, just good cruising.
grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Additives

Used Biobore per “maintenance” mix ratio for 26 years with every fill-up. Older Perkins twins had 5500 hrs & ran like silk.
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #56

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: - - - -
Vessel Model: ex - Vicem 58
Howes Lube products sells Diesel Defender and guarantees better than 5% increase in fuel economy. they have a nifty calculator on the Diesel Defender page. If you use a lot of fuel in a year it makes sense.
I haven't used it yet (been shocking the new boat with Biobar JF) but a very experienced mechanic sailor friend has used it for decade.
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #57

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
The main threat is from diesel bug. If it's going to be a problem, it will be when you are in sloppy seas, causing the tanks to stir up any dead bug from the bottom of the tank to clog filters and pipes. Just at the time you really don't need enine failures.

In over 30 years of boating, I've used an additive specificlly to kill bug, at every fill up plus at the start and end of the season.

Bug comes from many sources. Possibly, the main source is from a refuelling point which is frequently used so its fuel has been dormant and able to brew bug. Another favourite is where a refuelling point has just been re-filled causing the rubbish at bottom of the tank to be stirred up. It needs time to settle - maybe 24 hours.

So, careful choosing of refuelling points, and regular anti-bug dosing helps ensure your engines will keep running in emotional seas.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #58
FF
Guru

"BIOBAR at every fill up. Keeps the bugs from growing at the fuel water interface."

Practical Sailor recommends changing brands every few uses , so the bugs don't learn to live with brand A.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #59

City: Bellingham Wa
Vessel Name: Tinka
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
I use "Diesel Kleen" AND Biobor. The ultra low sulfur diesel does not adequately lubricate injector pump and injectors. Fuel.supplier MIGHT add additives. Why take a chance. The Biobor prevents growth of algae. My common rail diesel runs at 30,000 PSI. Hard to believe, but verified. Need all the lube it can get. 🛳🤗
Sharpseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #60
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
"Lubricity
The most immediate concern with ULSD, certainly the one that has received the most publicity, is lubricity. When diesel fuel is refined to make ULSD, it is reacted with hydrogen to remove the sulfur. This process also removes much of the fuel's lubricity. (Many people mistakenly believe that it's only the sulfur that supplies lubricity.) Lubricity is essential in diesel fuel to reduce friction at finely machined pumps and injectors; without sufficient lubricity, a diesel would grind itself to a premature death.

Minimum lubricity is a requirement of the ASTM-D975 standard, which means oil companies must use either soy biodiesel or a synthetic additive to return fuel to its pre-ULSD lubricity levels. Soy biodiesel has the potential to loosen built-up gunk in the tank and clog filters, but not to the extent that ethanol does with gasoline tanks. Note, however, that a synthetic additive is more likely to be used, as it’s less expensive and more stable than soy."

from link https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012...fur-diesel.asp
Biobar claims
"adds lubricity back to low sulfur diesel fuel
Exceeds ASTM Standards, MI-S-53021A, EPA approved and U.S. Coast Guard Certified."

Since 2006 ULSD was introduced and now it is everywhere. Before 2006 maybe it was not a concern, engines built after 2006 were designed to use the stuff the same as newer car engines can use increasing amounts of corn.
"ULSD will run in any engine designed for the ASTM D-975 diesel fuels."

It is not relevant what you have done/not done over the last 30-40 years, things change.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote