Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #41
FF
Guru

RE: Diesel Engines - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly?

"{This fish boat has had a 3-71 DD for 61years."

Its probably finally broken in!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:12 AM   #42

i personnally have experience with volvo gas engines.lost both engines after just 135 hours due to poorly made exhaust elbows.dealt with volvo,who are extremely rude and unsupportive.their attitude was that they got their money,and if you have a problem then go ahead and sue them.they stated they have high price lawyers on retainer*,and that they can outlast my wallet.would never buy a volvo product again!!!!

tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #43
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

I'm wrenching every day and hope to have a good report on my DD 6-71's soon. I know they were fired off about a year ago but nothing since.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #44
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

When searching for our first trawler, I don't mind saying that I was trying to avoid Volvo's, simply from a parts price standpoint. The great majority of our boat model came with Volvo 4 cyl, diesels (a very good engine), but with so many disgusted owners out there from paying those parts prices, the boat we ended up with had a Yanmar refit, which for us was a deal maker. The quality and dependability you seek can come from engines of nearly every brand, but perhaps not from the entire horsepower range available. Once a diesel is turbocharged to offer 30, 40, 50 % or more over its naturally aspirated cousins, it can hardly be expected to offer you the same life and reliability that the base engine can. My advice is to look for a natural, but single turbos are still decent in the
lower horsepower ranges. The only deal breaker diesel I can think of are the few marinized GM 6.5 or IHC 7.3 units out there that weren't that great, even in their base engine configurations.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #45
FF
Guru

"I know they were fired off about a year ago but nothing since."

Before you try a start , pull the valve cover and BE SURE none of the injectors are frozen.

If when you operate the throttle all the injectors go from no fuel to full fuel , great!

Just be sure they move!!

Purchase the correct "pin" from DD , and after it runs and is warmed up, adjust the valves , the injector timing (with the pin) and then do your best at "running the rack" all injectors should work together .

Do you have one of the USN 6-71 books?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #46

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Diesel Engines - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly?

I'd look for*,in order of preference:*

1) NA ,

2) turbo with no aftercooler (eg Cummins 5.9 6BT 220)

3) turbo with Jacket water-cooled aftercooler (eg Cummins 5.9 6BTA 270)

Salt-water cooled aftercoolers are*high-maintenance items which are*very often the cause of engine failure - when not adequately maintained.

-- Edited by Bendit on Tuesday 15th of November 2011 02:36:04 PM
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #47

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Quote:
tinped wrote:
would never buy a volvo product again!!!!
*Ditto.* I had the misfortune of buying the wife a Volvo S80 sedan.* If it were not for the original Volvo warranty and an aftermarket warranty I could not have afforded to keep the car.* Parts costs are outrageous and the service cost is nearly as bad.* $60 for a pair of wiper blades!
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #48
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Well for my Toyota (89) it was hundreds of dollars for throttle cables (2).
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:21 AM   #49
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

Quote:
FF wrote:
"I know they were fired off about a year ago but nothing since."

Before you try a start , pull the valve cover and BE SURE none of the injectors are frozen.

If when you operate the throttle all the injectors go from no fuel to full fuel , great!

Just be sure they move!!

Purchase the correct "pin" from DD , and after it runs and is warmed up, adjust the valves , the injector timing (with the pin) and then do your best at "running the rack" all injectors should work together .

Do you have one of the USN 6-71 books?
Thats great info, I don't have the books but I sure will get them before I do *crank them. *I had to tear out the starboard fuel tanks because they has some gunk in them so I am another week at least before I put the fuel to them. *That should give me time to get the books.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #50

Any experience with Hino engines?? Reliabilty? Parts availability? How hard to work on?
greg h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #51

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

Here is something else to consider rather than which manufacturer, consider who can service the engines. If you are located away from larger cities, who fixes the engine and the parts availble locally is important. If there is a great Volvo dealer or John Deere or some other dealer nearby that might make a difference. Detroit and CAT have the most parts and repair centers, Hino marine parts might be difficult to find.
If you will base your boat at XWZ marina, talk to their service department, find out who is good nearby.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
greg h wrote:
Any experience with Hino engines?? Reliabilty? Parts availability? How hard to work on?
*Hino is a Japanese truck manufacturer.* I didn't know this until recently when I saw a newish box-body delivery van on the freeway that was a Hino.

I've not heard anything pro or con about their engines, but I have heard from our diesel shop that some boats that used Hinos--- specifically some models of Bayliner--- have the engines so shoehorned into the engine space that is is virtually impossible to work on or service the outboard sides of the engines without removing them from the boat first.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #53

I initially considered Bayliners with the 175HP hino. Sea Trialed two but not enough power. The engines are in kind of tight. NA and pretty sturdy but they do have one weak part in the mani-cooler. They tend to corrode and fail. Expensive to replace, both in labor and parts cost. Bayline forum can add to this.

Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote