Old 09-29-2018, 12:53 AM   #21
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
The 3208, lovely reliable engine, BUT access is everything and that's down to the boat builder.
I'd be more concerned about the engine servicing history, I've seen engines with low hours, many sitting idling in a marine and they were prone to leaks and smoky, Volvo are very prone to leaks if left idling for long periods.
The colour of smoke from an engine gives the first clues, if its a turbo'd engine sometimes nothing more than a good run gently building up the power slowly and then run hard for half an hour will clear it.
Quick test of engine oil, get a drop on your finger, touch it lightly with your tongue, don't be a bloody wimp it wont kill ya, if its acidy its not been serviced lately if its sweet then its fresh and recently changed.
Without seeing it its all just war stories from old fogeys like me but for my money it'd be the CAT.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:13 AM   #22
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The 671 doesn't have an injector pump, just a fuel pump that lasts decades. Injector pumps last a long time but when they fail the engine doesn't run, they're hard for some people to bleed, and they're expensive to rebuild. I never lost a Detroit injector in about 55 years of running Detroits. But if I did, the engine would still run. Almost all Cat parts have to come from Cat and are very expensive. You can buy Detroit rebuild kits for all the pumps, blower and other parts from non-Detroit makers. Just as good, but cheaper. Cat makes a good engine, and is more reliable that almost any other yacht engine, but the 671 is more reliable than the Cat.
3208 natural and 671 natural have similar HP, but the Detroit achieves it's max HP 1000 rpm lower. The 3208 is rated continuous at 70% 0f HP. The 671 can run at 100% of max HP just about forever. That's how I run mine.
The 671 is easier and faster to adjust valves and because the injector is activated by a 3rd rocker, it's possible to better balance the cylinders with small changes in the injector clearances.
The 671 was in production for about 60 years so any bugs were worked out many years ago.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:47 AM   #23
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I'm familiar with the 2 stroke diesels as I worked in R&D at Rolls Royce where they made a 6 cylinder 2 stroke opposed piston.
In all my years running and working diesels I've never had a pump break, the only trouble I once had was a Scania 500 hp V8 slipped the flexible coupling to the pump and it took 10 mins to get the engine TDC and 5 minutes to fix it, I was in minus 10 degrees in Poland at the time and that fairly concentrated the mind and got me moving to get back in the warm with a mug of steaming Irish tea with a wee nip in (to help the circulation you understand).
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #24
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
6' 5" headroom and walk around engine.
You left off air conditioned engine room!
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
I'm familiar with the 2 stroke diesels as I worked in R&D at Rolls Royce where they made a 6 cylinder 2 stroke opposed piston.
In all my years running and working diesels I've never had a pump break, the only trouble I once had was a Scania 500 hp V8 slipped the flexible coupling to the pump and it took 10 mins to get the engine TDC and 5 minutes to fix it, I was in minus 10 degrees in Poland at the time and that fairly concentrated the mind and got me moving to get back in the warm with a mug of steaming Irish tea with a wee nip in (to help the circulation you understand).
What is your take on the marine versions of Scania in the 300 to 500 HP range? Lord knows their base engine is common place and well received.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #26
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I've maintained scores of both. Normal maintenance is no better or worse in any relevant way.

But if I was to pick one for long distance single engine cruising, it would be the 671. I have seen injection pumps fail out of the blue on the cat, also head gaskets and rotted oil pans. And if you have any cylinder damage, the whole engine needs to come out. 671 cylinder kits can be replaced with engine in the boat, and no injection pump. Injector fails, replace it in about 20min. And even if one fails, it usually will keep running (if spring type racks!!).

But both can be excellent engines. 671 can be noisier (exhaust difficult to muffle) and will use a little more fuel to push the same boat. But it will push the boat more reliably.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #27
Guru

Not to forget, both the 3208 and 6-71 are very old engines long out of production. There are numerous very good newer marine engines in the 200 to 300 HP range.

So buy neither is a viable option.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #28

City: Alexander
Your half way up the Congo River, you pull in to a little village, the local mechanic has a 6-71 gasket set hanging on the wall......
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #29
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardog View Post
Your half way up the Congo River, you pull in to a little village, the local mechanic has a 6-71 gasket set hanging on the wall......

But how do you get your trawler past Stanley Falls???
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Use a Volvo, Mercedes or Scania, powered truck to haul the vessel maybe?
Old 09-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Interesting thing that after a decade of living in Qatar, UAE, Syria and India, I have never seen a Jimmy here. Anyone else with Asian experience seen any?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #32

City: Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post

Just sayin... guess I’m getting old, back in the day, ha, it was true. Except the falls.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote