Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Did your boat come with an owner's manual?

All bought new and no owner's manual provided:

My Dad's 1963*Columbia Defender (28.5-foot fiberglass,*gas-inboard)*sloop*had no manual (only mechanical systems were toilet, speedometer,*and Atomic 4 gasoline engine).

My 1981*Bluewater*Blackwatch (20-foot fiberglass, outboard auxiliary)*pocket cutter had no manual (only mechanical system was speedometer).

My 2011 Seahorse Marine (35-foot, 14-ton steel) trawler has no owner's manual but did have two folders worth of manuals from the manufacturers of subsystems such as engine, toilet, radar,*etcetera.

What is the norm?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
RE: Did your boat come with an owner's manual?

Our Tolly came with thick supply of original Tollycraft manuals.* Also, a thick supply of original apparatus Manuals.* I then located an increased supply of OEM part-lists and shop-repair manuals on net, so everything is fully covered.* Uniflite I owned before was similar in manuals aboard.* With good manuals, good tools, and basic mechanical smarts nearly anything can be serviced or repaired.* At least thats how I play it!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'

No boat owners manual. There were only a few of my boat built so it is an oddball and the mfgr. is long gone.
The engine owners manual was included, engine parts book, the gear manual including full rebuild instructions.
I've since added the engine shop manual including the PT pump specs and manual. Can't get the injector manual , at least not yet.
A.P. manual was included.

All small equipment manuals were included and anything I've replaced i've kept the manuals for.

Over the years I've been sketching the wiring and labelling stuff, definitely for anything I've added or redone.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
FF
Guru

No , but the USN has some fantastic training manuals for DD engines.

Never operated a boat with a backing rudder , and had to figure it out.

The best is what the Navy calls a PDL, pass down log,

where systems and even better , the required action for a situation is all written out in advance.

The next owner of my boat will get one , mostly complete.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Our Island Gypsy 1983 came with an owners manual so I think most IGs came with one.

Nice to have but could easily done without it.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

My Camano came with a very thorough owners manual which was apparently written by an owner of one of the first boats and then edited and completed by the manufacturer.

It also came with manuals for the engine and other components.

There is a complete electrical schematic as well.

I give them an A for documentation.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #7

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34

The American Tug comes with an Owners Manual and an Engine Manual. *Both are 3" thick binders customized to your boat. The Owners Manual includes instructions on how to operate all the major systems on the boat with pictures, including a wiring diagrams which includes any optional equipment installed. *It also comes with another 3" binder containing engine and engine peripheral operating and installation manuals.*

The best benefit is there is an owners forum filled with information and advice about owning, maintaining, and improving these boats. *A collection of this information has been put by one of the owners into an AT Owners Experiences book which covers the 12 year these boats have been in production. This information and the forum are so valuable, they were one of the major considerations for me purchasing the boat. *
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

All GBs come with a manual specific for each hull number. I have the original for our 1986 Classic. I keep it in a safe place and keep a copy in the boat. I also keep a scanned copy on the iPad and iPhone.
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -

Our boat came with a manual for every piece of equipment on the boat, from the fresh water pump to the toilets to the refrigerator. Original 1973 Grand Banks owners manual, engine operating, shop, and parts manuals, you name it. And we have kept and filed every manual that came with the equipment that we've bought for the boat from the anchor to the inverter/charger.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 AM   #10
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
Giggitoni wrote:
All GBs come with a manual specific for each hull number. I have the original for our 1986 Classic. I keep it in a safe place and keep a copy in the boat. I also keep a scanned copy on the iPad and iPhone.
Ray, I must intone,*there probably is not any place safer than your GB Mahalo Moi!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

My Mainship did. It is basically a manual full of lawyer generated bull****....near worthless. It did come with a Yanmar manual as well.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The Eagle came with two 1 ft deep file boxes with some original sales/marketing material, manual/information of most equipment/systems plus a manual for then 671 and Perkins gen set.* Also included two folder of performance/range from previous owners with note from Ed Monk Sr. who engineered/designed the 58 ft Roughwater.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Kismet came with schematics for all original systems and manuals for every piece of equipment on board. Although it didn't come with a "manual" per se, Hatteras supplied me with a copy of the original owners manual and another set of drawings.
I also have full binders (service, parts and shop manuals) for the Detroits and Kohlers. Probably the weakest link in my information is the original electrical drawings, since so much has changed over the years and the previous 3 owners didn't keep/make accurate changes to the drawings. All original wiring is impeccably identified and there's never a doubt about the origin or end of each wire. I wish the same could be said for all the things that have been added/deleted over the years (mainly 12V electronics).

All of this said, I'm pretty happy with the documentation available on Kismet - and I'm sure the next owner will be too.
KismetLRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Quote:
Art wrote:
Ray, I must intone,*there probably is not any place safer than your GB Mahalo Moi!

I like to think so, Art!* However, I've been arrested violating Murphy's Law in the past
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

No.**But I made my own.

*Need to go through it.

*It's a huge folder with the warranty and instructional guides to every thing I have put on the boat.

Of course my boat is a one off. Not another one like her still floating. So the manual is for everything but the hull.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

No owner's manual per se and I believe if there had been one it would have been passed down as manuals for plenty of other stuff were.* We have documentation for must everything that was on the boat when we bought it and everything we have added.* The only thing specific to the boat was some original marketing material showing the galley up version (ours is galley down).*

Now the Catalina and J-boat sailboats we had prior came with owner's manuals that included system schematics.* Most of the info was pretty useless on the J boat as the original owner had most everything customized so nothing matched the schematics.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

The PO provided me with a thick binder of various manuals for the boat's systems and aftermarket accessories.* He also included an engine service/maintenance manual.* Not an owner's manual from the manufacturer, but all the essential info I needed.* Then Capt. Craig posted on the Californian Forum scans of his original Californian schematics and Owners Manual pages.* So now I have a pretty good collection of all the needed info.*

I update the binder with new manuals as I add accessories.* If I keep making changes, I might need to start a new binder!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I found the original delivery warranty paper work and who warrantied what and who to call. I also had an owners manual and a separate engine manual for the Perkins 4.154m engines.
Since the generator was replaced about 6 years ago I couldn't find anything other than the receipt and warranty information on it. I went to Boat Diesel and they had the Westerbeeke generators service and operation manuals.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Our boat came with the original Cheoy Lee factory manual. Along with a full hanging file box and additional 3-ring binder full of manuals for every piece of equipment aboard - and some equipment that hasn't been on the boat presumably for years!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It continues to be a learning experience for me.