Desolation Sound by Whaler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OldToby

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mary Elyse
Vessel Make
1964 Boston Whaler Eastport
I realize that my antique BW Eastport is not, strictly speaking, a "trawler," but I thought this video footage of the area around Cortes Island, BC, might interest/entertain some:

https://vimeo.com/140529088

......?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Wife and I did that 10 years ago.
A 6hp Johnson OB on an 18' freight canoe 41" wide and 17" deep. Went to Quadra Is first and stayed a night at the Harroit Hotel. Very old and charming. If you like old.
Then took the ferry to Cortes Is. Launched the big canoe and went cruising around the island. Going back we did an outing on Main Lake .. in the middle of Quadra Is. Nice quiet lake and a little bit remote depending on who you are.

A car top boat is very inexpensive on the ferry but a small car and boat won't break the bank either. The Whaler is a good safe small boat.

Looks like the first part of the vid was coming out of Gorge Bay.

Last edited:
Yup, the first part was going out of Gorge Bay and the last bit was heading back in. I loved that vacation; it's such a beautiful area. A few years previous we Whalered out of Telegraph Cove for several days and also had a great time. My dream is someday to boat those waters in what Marin would call a "heavy cruiser."

A few years previous we Whalered out of Telegraph Cove for several days and also had a great time. My dream is someday to boat those waters in what Marin would call a "heavy cruiser."

We've been doing two week fishing trips in the spring with our trailer boat out of Telegraph Cove for the last 24 years. Fabulous area.

And it's Eric that calls them "heavy cruisers." I call them what they are, which is cabin cruiser. They're cruisers (dictionary definition) and they have cabins.:)

Toby, that's was a fun video to watch. I can't wait to take our boat up there and when we do we'll tow our Whaler.

So...a guy just brought his tiny wooden clinker-skiff over to Steveston from Gibsons. It's powered by a tiny Honda lawn mower motor. It's got less than a foot of freeboard. He's looking for a weather window to bring it back to Gibsons.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

:socool:That was cool!
Love the scenery and the music was great.

Whaler-very dependable, safe and reliable boat:thumb:

Looks like you had a great day on the water.

OD

Jim,
I'd love to see pics of that skiff. Sounds a bit like my power freight canoe. 41" wide and 17"deep. Top speed w my 8hp Yamaha is scary but I run it at 1/2 throttle or less where it's smooth and quiet. I should make an outrigger for it. It's been in the ocean at Winter Harbour.

Marin,
Outboard cruiser/heavy cruiser .... I'm flattered you remember!

We were at Cortes Island for five days, during which we had multiple on-the-water adventures. Lots of intense tidal currents, weird (to an inland boater) tide-influenced chop, and rocks appearing and disappearing depending on the time of day. I learned a lot. One of the things I learned was that I want a 22' Outrage for speed-boating up there; they don't call the Eastport hull a "wet hull" for nothing. And I learned to go outside the can on the southern tip of Cortes: there are some nasty sharp rocks down there. But I loved it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom